Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

Family Cabins, The Lack Off!

12 posts in this topic

When looking at a cruises with a good friend of mine I was surprised at the difficulties she was having with cabins,  it’s for Mum, Dad and three little ones what you would assume is an average family.  The problem is most cabins will only take a maximum of four.  They’ve looked at the very few ships that offer family rooms but these are so limited, they only appear to offer a small handful and with companies like P&O and NCL they're suites so it’s cheaper to book two cabins.  It’s really put them off booking a cruise till the children are older which is such a shame because they would love it.  A lot of lines are now adding family cabins and theirs defiantly a market for these.   What has your experience been? Would you like to see more family cabins added to ships?

I think this is an issue that will crop up more and more in the future. At present it doesn't effect me, we're a family of 3 but for families larger than 4 it must be very frustrating. The cabin choices available for them appear to be very limited and when they are available, very expensive. It's a shame as families are missing out on what I'm sure would be a great holiday.

RiverSong likes this

I would say the same for single passengers, who like larger families sometimes struggle to obtain a cabin, maybe the ship builders or designers could show a bit more thought when planning a new build, as larger families could offset the single cabins, therefore the issue cruise lines would not feel the pinch for selling more singles.

RiverSong likes this

Family cabins, single cabins, disabled cabins, suites. Too many different requirements that have to be averaged out.

What are they supposed to do: reconfigure the ship for each cruise? I think they (cruise companies) get it right most of the time.

Catering for minorities will always be a problem and at sometime in our lives we'll all be part of one of these minority groups.

RayO

Cruising has become a lot more affordable and value for money and the way forward is families .  They are building these big ships with facilities for kids and teenagers but again not enough cabins for families and yes some people do have more than the traditional 1 or 2 children.  I think they need to look into this or build a different type of ship just for families like they do adult only ships.  Just a suggestion.

If as Riversong says it's cheaper to book 2 cabins then I think I would prefer to do that if I'd got 3 or 4 children & have 1 parent & 1 or 2 children in each one rather then be crammed in together. Would be better if 1 of the party was off colour during the trip as you could give them peace & quiet without having to worry about the others making too much noise or catching whatever it was. Just a thought.

We have run into the same family on several cruises, the first time they were in the cabins next to ours. They have 3 children but always cruise with their parents, the oldest child shares with his grandparents. As the wife pointed out to me it would be lovely to have a separate cabin for the children but they can't afford it as they wold have to pay four full price fares instead of two. The solution worked well for them.

A good friend of mine has sailed on Costa and as far as I know all 5 (2 + 3) were in  the one cabin.