Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wheels36

Loading luggage.

32 posts in this topic

Given recent events loading procedures for cruise ships must be overdue for review.

Currently cases go straight onto the ship without any booking in to match luggage to passenger, or the cruise line having any indication how many cases a passenger has had loaded.

Good morning Wheels.

But given the recent moans and groans regarding check-n times (not from me I would add) I would think another layer of 'Administration' would not prove popular.

As long as there is adequate security checks then I'm content with current arrangements.

Hopefully they will be scanned by the porter before they are loaded on to the ship. WE live in such terrible times and all need to be aware of what is going on around us but no way should we give in to these terrorists and alter our life style. That way they have won.

Good morning Wheels.

But given the recent moans and groans regarding check-n times (not from me I would add) I would think another layer of 'Administration' would not prove popular.

As long as there is adequate security checks then I'm content with current arrangements.

They are separate issues, and the "moans and groans" are fundamentally about one company not wanting passengers on board until their cabins are ready, but completely failing to see the consequences.

I think you are right SR providing the cases are scanned before going onboard as they would be at airports then I'm sure passengers would feel at ease

Accepting that the luggage is scanned it is still not as at airports, as there is no check on the number of cases loaded on board, or the passenger being on board with the luggage as would be the case with an aircraft.

I think as long as the luggage is scanned and checked thoroughly then if the passenger doesnt travel there still isnt a threat if they have been checked properly?

Accepting that the luggage is scanned it is still not as at airports, as there is no check on the number of cases loaded on board, or the passenger being on board with the luggage as would be the case with an aircraft.

On this point I have to agree with wheels36. We have to remember that the 'bad boys' have a very high level of sophistication and I personally wonder if it is now possible for luggage to be loaded on a ship with prohibited items not being noticed. By way of example you only have to look at the number of people who 'smuggle' alcohol onto cruise ships and get away with it. Yes a lot get caught but also a lot don't. I personally think a person should be identified with their luggage as with airlines. Yes it will make check in longer but if it makes it safer, I for one don't care.

You could even stagger the check in times to ease the congestion. ohmy.png ohmy.png

wheels36, JH327, sammy sun and 1 other like this

We are probably not aware what happens with our luggage at ports once it leaves the confines of our cars but I would have thought duty of care for all passengers would mean that these are checked before being placed onboard, I do recollect that at my last embarkation our hand luggage was scanned as certain electrical items had to go through seperately. I'm sure with recent events all ports & cruise companies will have reviewed how they handle baggage as the last thing they would want would be bad publicity.

I think that a point you are missing cruise chef is that scanners are not foolproof (i.e. they cannot discern any difference between marzipan and dynamite for one example), and even if the technology was foolproofed the scan would only be as good as the operator's ability. Add to that the five second average time for an operator to view a piece of baggage on an airport conveyor, and the problem becomes self evident.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

The other thing is that at the ports the luggage is left unattended on the side waiting to be loaded onto the ship. Invariably I have passed stacks of  suitcases with no members of staff in sight. It makes a mockery of asking if you packed your luggage yourself or have you left it unattended.

JH327, Mimosa and Oldworldtraveller like this

Can anyone provide a definitive answer to the scanning or luggage or not? Hand luggage is scanned in the same way as airports but, for some reason, I was under the impression that the large cases were also scanned as they went through the "wall".

Even if additional scurity was put in place it would not stop dock employees placing devices in the ship as we have seen with the recent Russian aircraft bombing. As always we should be safety aware and report anything that does not look right.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer to the scanning or luggage or not? Hand luggage is scanned in the same way as airports but, for some reason, I was under the impression that the large cases were also scanned as they went through the "wall".

Even if additional scurity was put in place it would not stop dock employees placing devices in the ship as we have seen with the recent Russian aircraft bombing. As always we should be safety aware and report anything that does not look right.

No problem Captain.

Not exactly behind the scenes because these photographs were taken at Harwich where facilities are limited. 

Having said that, if security is so open at this minor port just imagine the facilities at a busy port like Southampton.

Scanner in a container...

14619391402_ccc19bfeaa_z.jpg

Gotcha...

14433252810_aa791ec29d_z.jpg

Zoom in if you like...

14433298058_a0e8961c70_z.jpg

For those with failing eyesight those notices read "SECURITY, Flagged luggage, DO NOT REMOVE and the right hand one "PROHIBITED ITEMS, DO NOT LOAD!!!"

The other thing is that at the ports the luggage is left unattended on the side waiting to be loaded onto the ship. Invariably I have passed stacks of  suitcases with no members of staff in sight. It makes a mockery of asking if you packed your luggage yourself or have you left it unattended.

Hardly a mockery PP.

If your luggage is securely locked, as it should be, and it is in a loading cage, then there is little or no chance of tampering by anyone other than the port staff.

Anyone not authorised to be in the area would soon be noticed.

ron likes this

I think that a point you are missing cruise chef is that scanners are not foolproof (i.e. they cannot discern any difference between marzipan and dynamite for one example), and even if the technology was foolproofed the scan would only be as good as the operator's ability. Add to that the five second average time for an operator to view a piece of baggage on an airport conveyor, and the problem becomes self evident.

When did you last go through an airport Scanner Wheels?

I passed through Terminal 3 three weeks ago, heading for Lyon,  and the scanner operators were diverting 50% of hand luggage onto the 'suspect' track.

At Terminal 5 last week, heading for Krakow, though I didn't set any alarm off, I was randomly selected for a swab.

I have every confidence in our security arrangements. 

My biggest gripe is those passengers, cruisers and flyers, who cannot prepare themselves adequately for the security, leave coins in their pockets, water in their carry on luggage and inevitably, despite all the notices, still have their mobile phones in their pockets.

Grrrrhhhhhhh.

They are separate issues, and the "moans and groans" are fundamentally about one company not wanting passengers on board until their cabins are ready, but completely failing to see the consequences.

I am well aware they are separate issues Wheels.

My point was to clearly illustrate that it was a potential for more moaning and delay.

(see my above post)

On a recent cruise, we were surprised when an officer knocked on our cabin door to ask if we were the owners of a red suit case that had an iron inside.

I can only assume that the cabin number tag must have come adrift from the case for him to have to knock on doors to find the owner of offending case.

We never break the health and safety rules so were happy to tell him that the case wasn't ours.

I guess that the owner would have eventually owned up though or they wouldn't have got their luggage back.

Falmouthgirl and Tally like this

I passed through Terminal 3 three weeks ago, heading for Lyon,  and the scanner operators were diverting 50% of hand luggage onto the 'suspect' track.

At Terminal 5 last week, heading for Krakow, though I didn't set any alarm off, I was randomly selected for a swab.

My biggest gripe is those passengers, cruisers and flyers, who cannot prepare themselves adequately for the security, leave coins in their pockets, water in their carry on luggage and inevitably, despite all the notices, still have their mobile phones in their pockets.

Grrrrhhhhhhh.

Making my argument for me SR.

The high amount of baggage on the suspect track is down to one of two reasons, either a security alert or an inexperienced operator (note the comment in my previous post regarding "operators ability").

As someone who has worked AIRSIDE at several UK airports & ports I can advise that even as a contractor it is sometimes like wading through treacle to get to your job at hand, Having 1st made all the necessary arrangements pre day you are still subjected to security checks with ID (usually your passport) followed by strict scrutinisation of all your equipment being used for the job, both xray & by train security staff. I would even go so far as to say this was at a time when we are not troubled by those who seem to have an agenda that no-one understands. So in answer to both SR & Wheels I think we are vigilant, sometimes overly but for the right reasons.

I am pleased to say I am now only troubled with this as a passenger, and not adding to a working day by an extra 3 or 4 hours on every visit!!!

wheels36 likes this

Grrrrhhhhhhh.

Making my argument for me SR.

The high amount of baggage on the suspect track is down to one of two reasons, either a security alert or an inexperienced operator (note the comment in my previous post regarding "operators ability").

On the contrary Wheels, I would say it negated your argument.

As I was there and witnessed the individuals luggage being searched - would you believe one woman had a sealed takeaway coffee in her rucksack - I therefore rest my case.

Incidentally, carry on luggage is diverted down the suspect track when operators are alert and have suspicions that items are suspect.

I rest my case.

Hardly a mockery PP.

If your luggage is securely locked, as it should be, and it is in a loading cage, then there is little or no chance of tampering by anyone other than the port staff.

Anyone not authorised to be in the area would soon be noticed.

Sorry Richard I cannot agree.

Locked luggage is easily opened. With regards to anyone non authorised being noticed, I think recent events have shown otherwise. 

OWT

I think we are all missing something, the events in Paris have clearly highlighted to everyone that anyone with a desire to cause mayhem on a large scale will find a TARGET!

However it has been reported that the recent events were in areas where in Paris CCTV is minimal.

In the UK you can't even get to the end of the street or certainly in a Town Centre without being spotted on at least 1 or 2 cameras, ports & airports have even more so although Big Brother is watching, it does come with benefits(sometimes)

Any lock/security will at least serve as a deterent but we also have to use our eyes/ears as well and of course nobody will be taking this lightly

As someone who has worked AIRSIDE at several UK airports & ports I can advise that even as a contractor it is sometimes like wading through treacle to get to your job at hand, Having 1st made all the necessary arrangements pre day you are still subjected to security checks with ID (usually your passport) followed by strict scrutinisation of all your equipment being used for the job, both xray & by train security staff. I would even go so far as to say this was at a time when we are not troubled by those who seem to have an agenda that no-one understands. So in answer to both SR & Wheels I think we are vigilant, sometimes overly but for the right reasons.

I am pleased to say I am now only troubled with this as a passenger, and not adding to a working day by an extra 3 or 4 hours on every visit!!!

This reminds me of an anecdote from many years ago, when I was in a lecture given by one of the designers who developed "Concorde".

Following the "Vassall spy case" security was increased to such an extent that if the designer wished to discuss something with a colleague in the next office, it had to go through checks that meant delays of several days for what could be a simple issue.

How successful was this security policy?

Well the Russians had the "Konkordski" copy in the air before "Concorde".