Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spike

Train travel to Southampton from Derby

11 posts in this topic

Good morning every body,

My wife and I need to get to Southampton from Derby for a cruise with Fred Olsen on 18th Dec.

Has anyone any experience of the direct train service from Newcastle, arriving in Southampton at 13-17 and picking up in Derby at 09-53.

Is it usually crowded on cruise days?

Is there sufficient luggage storage if there are lots of cruise passengers?

Is it usually on time?

Any other information regarding the journey.

The convenient return journey would  be on 5th Jan. leaving Southampton at 0946  -   and the same questions apply.

I would very much appreciate any information anyone could give me.

As a final question, is anyone else on this cruise and  travelling  from this area and is a shared taxi a possibility?

Thank you.

Spike

Good morning every body,

My wife and I need to get to Southampton from Derby for a cruise with Fred Olsen on 18th Dec.

Has anyone any experience of the direct train service from Newcastle, arriving in Southampton at 13-17 and picking up in Derby at 09-53.

Is it usually crowded on cruise days?

Is there sufficient luggage storage if there are lots of cruise passengers?

Is it usually on time?

Any other information regarding the journey.

The convenient return journey would  be on 5th Jan. leaving Southampton at 0946  -   and the same questions apply.

I would very much appreciate any information anyone could give me.

As a final question, is anyone else on this cruise and  travelling  from this area and is a shared taxi a possibility?

Thank you.

Spike

Good morning Spike.

Welcome to the Forum.

While I'm not able to offer advice on trains from up North I did note that you would consider alternative transport.

Have you checked out Eavesway coaches?

9892122606_e077ba3290_z.jpg

Hi Spike

Watch your timing as you may be cutting your return journey a little fine. You may not reach the station by 09:46 if the ship gets in late.i would suggest catching an earlier train and come back on a later one. An alternative, as Solent Richard suggests, is to catch the Evesway coach which picks up from the Trowell Service Station, only a short distance from Derby on the M1.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I can not help with your specific questions.  

I presume that you will be leaving Newcastle at 0725 which then leaves a nearly 6 hour journey, which would probably not prepare me well for the first night of my cruise.  If it was me I would travel down the day before.  If time was short I would probably also consider taking the 1732 the day before getting into Southampton at 2320.  At least that way I could enjoy a nice day in Southampton ahead of my cruise.

Whatever you decide to do i hope that you enjoy your cruise.

Hi Spike

Watch your timing as you may be cutting your return journey a little fine. You may not reach the station by 09:46 if the ship gets in late.i would suggest catching an earlier train and come back on a later one. An alternative, as Solent Richard suggests, is to catch the Evesway coach which picks up from the Trowell Service Station, only a short distance from Derby on the M1.

The fare is around £80+ return and the coach takes you to and collects you from the terminal building - great service by Eavesway - have a look at their web site.

Captain Kidd II and JH327 like this

It's a tough call Spike, great if the trains are running to time and this serviceis prone to running late sometimes as it crosses different mainlines as it weaves across country.

If it's on time it is a great service and comfortable if you prebook your seats but as most have said the Eavsweay service is just as comfortable, more reliable and probably cheaper

wheels36 likes this

Hi everyone,

Thank you  for all the posts- I found the information really useful and I very much appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond.

After checking out Eavesway and weighing up all the points made in the posts, I have decided that we would be far  better off travelling with them and have booked our seats - less hassle, guaranteed not to miss the cruise and no shortage of luggage space.

Thankyou once again and

Best Regards to you all.

DavidH, june63 and Captain Kidd II like this

Hi everyone,

Thank you  for all the posts- I found the information really useful and I very much appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond.

After checking out Eavesway and weighing up all the points made in the posts, I have decided that we would be far  better off travelling with them and have booked our seats - less hassle, guaranteed not to miss the cruise and no shortage of luggage space.

Thankyou once again and

Best Regards to you all.

Well done Spike.

Glad you found this forum's information useful.