Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

A Compact Camera with a big difference Panasonic Lumix LX100

12 posts in this topic

Following on from an earlier conversation with captain Kidd on the 'Black Friday thread...

I love my photography but have often found it's neither convenient nor practical to have my favoured Nikon Digital SLRs with me on all occasions.

So for those times when a more compact camera is called for I have, in the main, chosen Panasonic products and, for the most recent addition, I chose the Panasonic DMC Lumix LX100...

23170663060_26c4bfaf5a_z.jpg

Having owned this camera for just over 6 months and been totally satisfied with the product,  I thought it might be a good idea to share its attributes amongst the membership of this forum.

Panasonic retook the lead in the advanced compact market last December with its LX100. It boasts a really good set of features and gives a class leading performance. What's more it is easy to operate: even for the rank outside 'point and shoot' photographer.

23357953432_805e87041b_z.jpg

At its heart is a large image gathering sensor and a high quality Leica zoom lens and, if it's a gimmick you want, well how about the camera's 4K Photo mode facility?  Not only does it let you record cinematic quality movies but it allows the user to back through the movie footage and select a high quality 8 megapixel still from the clips.

What's more the LX100 also has a viewfinder window with sensored easy switching between Live View and LCD screen view...

22838106974_45040d0992_z.jpg

What's more I can reveal that Jessops are currently promoting the same deal that I had. Yes, £100.00 Panasonic cash back.

Here's an example of a photograph I took on Monday while visiting West Wales. It was a really overcast day with intermittent rain but just a few clicks on the 'Exposure Compensation Dial' (top right in photograph above) and all appears well, quite acceptable...

23170685020_cac82c7198_z.jpg

While never going to truly match professional interchangeable wide angled lenses, this camera should go some way towards  those wider angled shots that some folk crave when showing off their Cabin/ Suite photographs.

wheels36 likes this

Ifound the same problem when carrying my DSLR. I take an Olympus Pen LP-1 with me which also has interchangable lens for those times when you just want to drop a camera in you pocket. It is really compact but just not feel the same as my Canon kit with hyper telephoto

Terminator likes this

It's always food for thought, doI carry around the heavy SLR but as you have all said sometimes its just not practical, as cameras in mobile phones have improved so much in recent times and to save weight this is now my back up option. Reading reviews recently there are new phones coming on the market with large MP cameras which we would never have dreamed of years ago

Forty years ago I used to carry light meter and accessories, and every snap took five minutes after reflective light, shutter speeds, etc. had been taken into account..

Nowadays firmly in the "point and shoot" camp with the light camera that easily fits into pocket.

Captain Kidd II likes this

Forty years ago I used to carry light meter and accessories, and every snap took five minutes after reflective light, shutter speeds, etc. had been taken into account..

Nowadays firmly in the "point and shoot" camp with the light camera that easily fits into pocket.

Hi Wheels.

Forty years ago I had just ditched my 'brownie' for what was then an all singing and dancing Asahi Pentax - all the rage while I was serving in the Royal Navy in the Far East...

220px-Asahi_Pentax_S3_with_film.jpg

wheels36 likes this

For internal shots and close up work I have found that my iPhone 6 is brilliant. indeed it gives results that look excellent in print. For out side work I will stick to my Canon because of its 65x zoom and stabilisation.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Taken with iPhone 6 from a rolling ship.

Hi OWT.

I have an iPhone 6 but rarely use it for serous photography.

I still haven't mastered the selfie stick I bought either. laugh.png laugh.png

21292907185_5801f6fa78_z.jpg

Hi Wheels.

Forty years ago I had just ditched my 'brownie' for what was then an all singing and dancing Asahi Pentax - all the rage while I was serving in the Royal Navy in the Far East...

220px-Asahi_Pentax_S3_with_film.jpg

I ditched a Russian Zorki for the Pentax SLR camera. Around the same time someone turned up at the camera club with a Hologon Ulltrawide costing more than £500, a small fortune at the time to get a wide angle shot.

Well we ate going back in time. Nothing like using the old plate camera with lovely wooden tripod and cloth to cover the back. We had one at home and even used it. After my box brownie my first real camera was a Zenit buthen moved on through the Olympus range with a little pocket Rollei 35mm which was great for formal meetings when you coukd not take a full size camera with you.