Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Divemonster

Lanzarote

10 posts in this topic

I have just got back from a cruise to the Canaries and we called in Lanzarote. I was really surprised with the new berth.  I had decided to walk into town and was set for the long circular walk past the castle etc.  When I got off the ship I followed a marked path, out of the berthing area and along the front of the marina.  This led past some new shops, a supermarket and some very nice bars.  Before I knew it I was at the blue bridge close to where the courtesy coaches drop off.  The whole distance was about a 15 minute stroll.  On the way back we called in one of the bars.  They said they had been open nearly a year but due to lack of trade they couldn't see many remaining open next year.  It is a real shame if this nice development turns into a ghost town.

Hi   I was in Lanzarote in November and we too were berthed in the new terminal in Arrecife (another ship was moored in the old terminal) and the walk into the town as you say was pleasant.  In addition the cost of the meals and bar prices at the modern bars were certainly less than I expected from those sited next to a modern marina.  It's definitely improved the experience of this port of call.  I do hope that this development is a success but I suppose it depends upon the number of ships which berth at the new terminal as well as the number of yachts in the marina and whether the locals use this amenity but this may be detrimental to the local bars in the town centre.

We stopped at lanzarote earlier in the year and someone advised us to go and have a drink a the Gran Arrecife hotel in Arrecife, it is the highest building in Lanzarote and the view is amazing, it gives you a real sense of what Ceasar Manreques vision was for the Island. Manrique had a major influence on the planning regulations in Lanzarote, when he recognised its tourist potential and lobbied successfully to encourage sympathetic development of tourism. One aspect of this is the lack of high rise hotels on the island. Those that are there are in keeping with the use of traditional colours in their exterior decoration.

Ceasar's vision was very clever indeed, without this you could see Lanzarote resembling Tenerife with high rise hotels as far as the eye could see, His home at Jameos del Agua is stunning and worth a trip to see. It great to heat the Canaries have improved all the ports as its probably a way to increase tourism without further building

rachel likes this

I did hear that the building regulations was that no building should be higher than a tall palm tree, but don't know how true that is.

I wonder how the Gran Arrecife hotel managed to break that rule. It's the only tall building so the island remains in my opinion the best in Canaries.

A great port of call.

Ceasar's vision was very clever indeed, without this you could see Lanzarote resembling Tenerife with high rise hotels as far as the eye could see, His home at Jameos del Agua is stunning and worth a trip to see. It great to heat the Canaries have improved all the ports as its probably a way to increase tourism without further building

I'll consider this next time I visit there cruise chef, however, I've always found Arrecife a little dull when I've visited in the past. Been there twice on cruises and both times found myself wandering back to the ship before long. That's probably my fault however for not getting off my back and going to explore properly. In my defence I was in need of a break and there was a very cold beer waiting for me back on the ship and I couldn't keep it waiting for me much longer, it wouldn't have been fair! wink.png