Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Mount Etna

10 posts in this topic

Mount Etna is currently erupting and providing a bonus for tourists.

I can remember a trip to the top of the inactive Vesuvius some years ago, and trying to explain to my young son that despite there being no smoke that this was the most dangerous volcano on the planet.

On the way back to the airport the subject was raised with the taxi driver, who told us that she and all her family and friends were very fearful of Vesuvius and that it was expected to erupt in her lifetime, but then added that this was her home.

Having studied Volcanology and Seismology at Uni, I just love Vocanoes…. anything to do with the earth being natural. I went past Stromboli and caught the eruptions and it was brilliant. Obviously there are the dangers of living near an active Volcano but even though they are dormant it doesnt necessarily mean that they won't come to life again. I seem to recall that Edinburgh Castle is built on one, although I may be wrong. 

The land is very fertile around active volcanoes which is why residents like to farm there.

That's probably vulcanology Captain Kidd2 for spock in Star Trek,

I know what you mean Pesky Pirate I love volcanos and studied Geology and you are right Scotland was once a volcanic area, dormant now although if you hear the Scottish Parliament thats definitely full of hot gases. Stromboli is trully a wonderful site during the night and I visited Etna earlier this year & would love to be there now!!

Hello, sorry nothing to do with Etna,but I hope you find it amusing.

Last year on Queen Elizabeth we were sailing towards Stromboli. A member of the photographic department was setting up his tripod and camera.I wanted to know which was the best side to stand.When I asked him which side we would pass he said........" it will either be the left or the right ". 

Rodger.

We went up Etna in 1998. We arrived home and the first item on the news was the eruption of Etna. We returned about 3 years ago to the same place the shop/cafe where we had stopped the first time had the end of the lava flow right up to its back wall. The rest of the tour and guide were excited to see our photographs of the shop without the lava.

wheels36 likes this

The volcanic soil makes for wonderful wines from the slopes of Etna. Some of our favourite reds come from this area, where the growers favour the Nerello Mascalese or Nerello Cappuccio grape, rather than the more well known Nero d'Avola grown elsewhere in Sicily.

Makes for a gorgeous glassful!!

DavidH

wheels36 and seawitch like this