Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Newcastle

8 posts in this topic

Thinking of trying a cruise from Newcastle next year, and would appreciate anyone who has travelled from there giving an overview of the positives and negatives of travelling from the port.

Disappointed that the Bolsover search engine does not recognise the port.

Its a few years ago but I did a Norwegian Fjords cruise with Fred Olsen out of Newcastle. The port was so easy to get to and parking

was well organised directly next to the port. If I had the choice of ports to sail out of from the UK it would either be Newcastle or Liverpool. Both are so easy. I do live in Derbyshire though so both these ports are so much closer for me as well.

wheels36 likes this

Hi   I live in Newcastle and have used the Port of Tyne which is about seven miles down stream from Newcastle upon Tyne.  The parking and access to the ship are both convenient  although the cruise terminal is basic.  In addition wheels 36 if you are unfamiliar with Newcastle I would advise you to have a couple of nights pre or post cruise stay in the city, I think most visitors who come to the North East are pleasantly surprised about the city and surrounding countryside.

wheels36 likes this

Hi   I live in Newcastle and have used the Port of Tyne which is about seven miles down stream from Newcastle upon Tyne.  The parking and access to the ship are both convenient  although the cruise terminal is basic.  In addition wheels 36 if you are unfamiliar with Newcastle I would advise to have a couple of nights pre or post cruise stay in the city, I think most visitors who come to the North East are pleasantly surprised about the city and surrounding countryside.

Hi Land Ahoy, I am quite familiar with Newcastle as I had relatives in the north east and had a few enjoyable days there a few years ago, failing to recognise so many places.

On the negative side I had a coastal walk that took in Whitley Bay for a first visit since 1961, and it was sad to see how the town had declined. 

So when you say the cruise terminal is basic, is that undercover with no seating?

Hi   The cruise terminal is a covered building with limited seating and adequate toilet facilities but limited refreshment outlets.  It is smaller than those at Southampton but is perfectly acceptable for the smaller vessels which sail from the Tyne.

wheels36 likes this

I agree with you about the city of Newcastle Land Ahoy. We spent a weekend there (Southampton v Newcastle) & had a lovely time. We walked along the riverside, shopped & visited a museum all in a few hours. What really made an impression on me was how friendly & helpful all the people we spoke to were.

wheels36 likes this