Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

iknowlescourier

Do they think we're stupid?

16 posts in this topic

Just checked out the current offer Celebrity Cruises has, 2nd passenger half price, 3rd 25% off with free drinks package. Great I thought, let's get a quote. Looked at Eclipse to Norway which we did last year. Total for 3 of us came to £4224!!! Double what we paid last year. How come it came to so much, I thought. So I looked at the price breakdown. Oh right, 1st passenger price was £2350, more than the total for all three of us to go last year. How do trading standards let them get away with inflating 1st passenger prices massively to make it look like a good offer?

RobBar, bullingdon and Falmouthgirl like this

Just checked out the current offer Celebrity Cruises has, 2nd passenger half price, 3rd 25% off with free drinks package. Great I thought, let's get a quote. Looked at Eclipse to Norway which we did last year. Total for 3 of us came to £4224!!! Double what we paid last year. How come it came to so much, I thought. So I looked at the price breakdown. Oh right, 1st passenger price was £2350, more than the total for all three of us to go last year. How do trading standards let them get away with inflating 1st passenger prices massively to make it look like a good offer?

The Whole issue of cruise prices should be looked into. I agree with you, how do the cruise companies get away with the false advertising.

RobBar likes this

The Whole issue of cruise prices should be looked into. I agree with you, how do the cruise companies get away with the false advertising.

I suggest the issue is more to do with supply and demand as to a limited number of ships doing Norway in a  best season where people want to travel. 

We have the same issue for Alaska for the season of May to early September where higher prices exist in the month of June / July and part of August. The other equation is the Alaska National Parks control how many ships can enter the glaciers and straits.

One can try other lines or wait till last moment deals that fill the ships.

This reminds me of a series of documentary's where they were speaking to various company s about marketing. The one I watched was a high class furniture company. They interviewed the CEO and asked why furniture company s always had some sort of sale running. His reply was that the public would not shop at a store without some sort of promotion being in place, some people liked extra free, some people liked lower prices, and if they just lowered the prices and did not have any sales or promotions they would not have any customers. The TV company then when out and asked people in the street,  they could not find one person who would go into a furniture shop unless there was a sale or promotion. When the people were asked if they would shop if the prices were just lowered but no sale advertised , they still said they would wait for the sales or promotions. People like to think they have got something extra, even if they haven't really.

You are right kite 63 they think we ARE stupid and unfortunately some of the time WE are it is just the way we have been brainwashed over the years.sad.png

I have always thought Celebrity were taking the Micky with their offers, it seems ridiculess to find that when you add up the final figure[with these supposed savings[ that they are so expensive much more than the previous year, I suppose some will take them  believing they have secured a bargain but my advice do your home work.CG 

Perfect example is a friend of mine owns a fitted bedroom furniture shop and was struggling and very close to bankruptcy. As a last throw of the dice he did an advertisement programme of 50% off sale on all bedroom prices. The same end result was that prices paid was no cheaper or dearer than when he was struggling but 50% was off so called RRP and sales went throught the roof and he hasnt looked back since.

Every year the cruise companies are looking to increase turnover and profit thus increasing the value of their shares making for bigger dividends. If a ship is sailing with near full capacity the only way to increase the aforementioned is by charging more. To avoid people being turned off by the basic cost they wrap it up with 'Deals' that in some way try and disguise the increases. Yes some do fall for it but others don't which is why i think the prices will drop considerably in the months to come, I maybe wrong but lets wait and see. As always etc. wink.png

wheels36 and RobBar like this

What I see in the notifications I get from my links and mail is that cruise lines are operating much like airlines have done and more aggressively over the last five years. 

1- They have to fill the seats / cabins prior to sailing , better to sail / fly loaded  then to proceed with empty spaces.

2- Reduce the base price but add in surcharges or options on the basis it does not effect all but most

3- Reduce speed to save fuel costs and do more over nighters at ports or place an extra sea day to ramp up revenue for shops and bars

4- Provide convenience as in bundled drinks packages, 

5- Reduce size of MDR and set up smaller specialties restaurants appealing to those who want selection but increase surcharges

6- Seasoned travellers will either wait till last moment as they have the ability for lower prices, might happen or book a specific cabin to have that choice while new cruisers will probably jump at an offer that seems good at the time

7- Variables are the cruise area and time of year and you see this a lot in the Alaska , West Coast , Pacific crossings , Norway , Iceland in limited seasons or time of year  while cruises out of Miami are almost low prices due to s many ships having to fill and home port. Special markets like Cunard Transatlantic crossings are limited in terms of mainly QM2 so fill up quickly yet if you wait for segments of a World Cruise, offerings of discounted fares are offered to prior Cunard guests in a short window when space needs to be filled.

I recently got a 60 % reduction email offer (good for about 2 weeks) from LA to Sydney in Feb 2016 which I would have jumped at had I no family obligations . With Aimile points and family in Aus I had that part covered :) :)

Here's to good cruising for all of you 2016    ...

my muse  

Oldworldtraveller and wheels36 like this

I think that the airline philosophy has been to have a high early price to catch those who would worry about leaving it late to book, then let the computer reduce the prices so that a substantial number of seats are booked a few weeks before, then raise the prices again to teach the very late bookers a lesson.

RobBar likes this

I think that the airline philosophy has been to have a high early price to catch those who would worry about leaving it late to book, then let the computer reduce the prices so that a substantial number of seats are booked a few weeks before, then raise the prices again to teach the very late bookers a lesson.

Good point .. what we have noticed when wanting to use our airmile points is unless you use more points ( extra charge in points) then the seats are limited per plane , cross country , international and in our case getting onto the smaller plane (Dash 7) very reduced. So sometimes one either pays the cash fare for that section or wait till the last minute for seats to be made available. The other thing we have experienced I the airline web site will not show seats available for airmiles at a low price point but be available to a travel Agent access. So I use my TA and gladly pay the small charge,  Best is when you use the web site to book your connecting flights they always give you selections that are load factor convenient for them but not for you . Again I get my TA to give me the flights I want that are to my convenience :)  

I have started using P&O website to keep a check on prices, I save the cruises I am interested in then all i have to do is sign in and click on saved cruises to check the prices. They have all come down in price already and are between 9 and 15 months away but may wait and book on board in April .

RobBar and wheels36 like this

Good point .. what we have noticed when wanting to use our airmile points is unless you use more points ( extra charge in points) then the seats are limited per plane , cross country , international and in our case getting onto the smaller plane (Dash 7) very reduced. So sometimes one either pays the cash fare for that section or wait till the last minute for seats to be made available. The other thing we have experienced I the airline web site will not show seats available for airmiles at a low price point but be available to a travel Agent access. So I use my TA and gladly pay the small charge,  Best is when you use the web site to book your connecting flights they always give you selections that are load factor convenient for them but not for you . Again I get my TA to give me the flights I want that are to my convenience smile.png

Hi RobBar.

Funny you should mention airlines.

I have been online today booking flights to join a cruise later in the year. 

I tried sky scanner first and then British Airways. 

Same flights through each site and an amazing difference in price - Skyscanner was more expensive.

In the end I used Avios points and paid the Small admin fee, saved £300.00 between us.

Well pleased. More than pays for the pre-cruise nights accommodation.

RobBar likes this