Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MG16

Princess Documentary

14 posts in this topic

Did anyone watch the Princess documentary on itv3 last night?

I'm not sure if it was the old or the new one but it was filmed onboard Royal Princess which I sailed on in August last year. I thought some parts were a bit cringe. In my opinion, they should have focused more on the ship, its facilities and destinations rather than passengers and staff, because one lady passenger would have put me off cruising if I was a newcomer! The cruise director Sam was on when we sailed and she was fantastic.

Anyone else catch it and have any thoughts?

Still fail to understand how Princess let that air in the first place, hardly a good or reasonable representation of a 'normal' cruise. I certainly found it very Hi-de-hi and had I not have been on several cruises already I would have been totally put off by it!

ron likes this

Sorry, but I thought it was a good representation of a cruise on a large resort ship. Stand in the cruise terminal at Miami or Fort Lauderdale and see the people booking in.   Name me a large resort ship that does not feature 'Games round the pool' line dancing, panel games etc. I also thought the 'behind the scenes' were typical of the problems that can occur in the galley, laundry etc. (yes I have seen it personally) and as for people standing in the right place to get extra drinks, yes they are there as well. Many like to think that cruising is a notch above the average holiday but in truth it is not. Yes it offers great value for money an opportunity to dress up and see the world but people on vacation are basically the same the world over and just want to enjoy themselves, it's just that some have different ways of enjoying themselves.

DavidH and MG16 like this

I haven’t seen the documentary, but I remember seeing a previous thread on the forum about this show. If I remember rightly, many people didn’t think it gave Princess Cruises a good representation. Let's hope that when the new one airs in March, people like it more.

I didn't see it but having seen snippets of one that Royal Caribbean did a few years back, if I didn't know what cruising was like then it would have put me off for good…. I certainly wouldn't go on a RCI ship having seen that.

As I intimated before you have to take on board, excuse the pun, the people that these programmes are set to appeal to are not the regular cruiser, your already spending your money with the various companies, but the prospective cruiser, the people who at present go to resorts across the world with their children.

Lets be totally honest, the large resort style, family friendly ships are very similar in what they provide. They are all much of a muchness with their 'around the pool games', 'quizzes' and dare I mention it 'talent competitions' and 'karaoke'. Evening entertainment is all very similar as is the food. What does vary considerably is the service. I remember reading that Princess after the last series increased their bookings by a considerable amount which is probably why they have made this news series. What is it they say, 'No such thing as bad publicity', take a look at this link,  http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/48644/princess-cruises-tv-show-attracts-31m-viewers . I now wait for the cavalry to come charging over the hill to stick up for their favourite cruise line. Just my opinion. wink.pngwink.png

I remember watching this when it was on and did find it very 'cringe' but I suppose it got the viewers for the TV ratings! wink.png