Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Forum Admin

Happy New Year!

58 posts in this topic

On behalf of all of us at Bolsover Cruise Club we hope you’ve had an enjoyable Christmas. The forum continues to grow and we are looking forward to seeing even more informative and interesting topics throughout the year ahead.

With that being said, it’s a shame that only 4 days into the New Year it has already become necessary for us to step in and issue a warning. We have received a number of reports about inappropriate comments made on several threads - this type of behaviour is damaging to our forum and is offending members who wish to be a part of a knowledgable and friendly community.    

We would like to remind all members that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated. This is our final warning and any member who continues to bring negativity towards others will be removed. The forum is monitored daily and we only step in when we feel it is absolutely necessary.

Many thanks

That got some action..rolleyes.gif wink.png

Well done Admin..let's hope that those involved in this unsavoury incident really do understand that the majority of members are not interested in what occurs elsewhere or has ocurred in the past.

New year. new start.

DavidH, ron, Falmouthgirl and 6 others like this

Well done admin, lets hope that this an end of the problem. The forum can be a great place for information with so many experienced cruisers willing to share information and answer questions.

Personally I thought the removed thread was excellent in bringing to peoples attention the dangers of publishing too much personal information in a place where its can be read by the world. You only need to speak with officers who work within the Cyber Crime Units of the various police forces not only in the UK but around the world to appreciate that there is darker side to the internet and which is why people should be careful. Well done Pennbank for bringing it to peoples attention and sorry it turned out the way it did.

As Terminator has so well put it 'New Year, New Start'.

pennbank, J-Dog, RobBar and 3 others like this

Well done admin, lets hope that this an end of the problem. The forum can be a great place for information with so many experienced cruisers willing to share information and answer questions.

Personally I thought the removed thread was excellent in bringing to peoples attention the dangers of publishing too much personal information in a place where its can be read by the world. You only need to speak with officers who work within the Cyber Crime Units of the various police forces not only in the UK but around the world to appreciate that there is darker side to the internet and which is why people should be careful. Well done Pennbank for bringing it to peoples attention and sorry it turned out the way it did.

Good morning OWT

We fully support concerns around users posting their personal details online. If the recently deleted post had been executed differently it could have been a very useful post for our forum members.

Regards,

P.S... You can rest assured that this forum is patrolled daily.

RobBar and Oldworldtraveller like this

So what do you want?

The 5 minute argument?

The 10 minute argument?

Argument Clinic - Monty Python's The Flying Circus - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com › watch

Enjoy..

None of them Terminator, I hate arguments, just some decent threads that will appeal to us all. If all those involved in the previous problems were to start one new thread  each on a cruising subject it would be a start to revitalising the forum.

The link doesn't seem to work.

None of them Terminator, I hate arguments, just some decent threads that will appeal to us all. If all those involved in the previous problems were to start one new thread each on a cruising subject it would be a start to revitalising the forum.

The link doesn't seem to work.

Whoops...not very good at this am I?

It's a Monty Python sketch about an Argument Clinic that I found hilarious when I first saw it many moons ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkQFKtI6gn9Y&ved=0ahUKEwjD1-TuspPKAhWB7xQKHSVYBOcQyCkIHTAA&usg=AFQjCNGex1thk9R1_inTMeB_7y5Xgw_UGw

J-Dog, Oldworldtraveller and RobBar like this

Good morning OWT

We fully support concerns around users posting their personal details online. If the recently deleted post had been executed differently it could have been a very useful post for our forum members.

Regards,

Looks like you have permission to broach the subject Oldworldtraveller.

I'd be delighted to contribute as I have a few views on the subject.

It's all about getting the OP wording right.

RobBar likes this

Good morning Richard,

Yes, I do believe that people in some cases unwittingly give out too much information on forums, Facebook and other social media sites. The police are always advocating to be careful what you put on the internet. Some people seem to live in a world believing that everyone is good and fail to see the dangers. The internet is full of scams leading to identity theft and other criminal offences. Criminals are now very sophisticated and certainly underestimated. The amount of information that is put out there by an individual is of course their business but personally I believe that if people were more cautious in what they shared internet originated crime would drop.

OWT

Good morning Richard,

Yes, I do believe that people in some cases unwittingly give out too much information on forums, Facebook and other social media sites. The police are always advocating to be careful what you put on the internet. Some people seem to live in a world believing that everyone is good and fail to see the dangers. The internet is full of scams leading to identity theft and other criminal offences. Criminals are now very sophisticated and certainly underestimated. The amount of information that is put out there by an individual is of course their business but personally I believe that if people were more cautious in what they shared internet originated crime would drop.

OWT

I agree completely as I said in the previous thread I think a lot of information is put out there sometimes for all to see and not everyone out there has good intentions. I set my profiles to 'friends only' on sites like facebook but again I am quite private and do not put anything on there that is that personal. Hope the forum starts and ends friendly this year. Happy new year to all x

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I personally have never used Facebook if I want somebody to know something I will call them by telephone or e-mail, once something is posted on Facebook it is there for all to see forever.

I have even heard of people applying for job's losing out because they have been checked out on Facebook and employers have not liked what has been posted,don't know how true this is but that is what I was told.

How did we manage before all this technology ?wink.png 

Oldworldtraveller, JH327 and loz6 like this

I personally have never used Facebook if I want somebody to know something I will call them by telephone or e-mail, once something is posted on Facebook it is there for all to see forever.

I have even heard of people applying for job's losing out because they have been checked out on Facebook and employers have not liked what has been posted,don't know how true this is but that is what I was told.

How did we manage before all this technology ?wink.png 

I know for a fact Ron a friend who is Director of HR for a large international company before employing a member of staff start by putting the applicants name into Google. This will often show what groups a person is a member of . They also check Facebook, Friends Re-United and various other sites. There is a lot of information out there, its just a matter of knowing where to look. ;)

J-Dog, wheels36 and ron like this

I know for a fact Ron a friend who is Director of HR for a large international company before employing a member of staff start by putting the applicants name into Google. This will often show what groups a person is a member of . They also check Facebook, Friends Re-United and various other sites. There is a lot of information out there, its just a matter of knowing where to look. ;)

Times change and things move on. The Internet is a wonderful tool. The employer scenario is another tool with which to vet and check out applicants. Even on Facebook things will show up on one's newsfeed unless you configure your settings so it doesn't. Regarding telling everyone when you will be on a cruise, I wouldn't do it but perhaps those that do have measures in place to ensure their property is safe.

Captain Kidd II and RobBar like this

Looks like you have permission to broach the subject Oldworldtraveller.

I'd be delighted to contribute as I have a few views on the subject.

It's all about getting the OP wording right.

Good morning Richard,

OWT

Good afternoon Oldworldtraveller.

When i wrote that i thought I might prompt you into starting a new thread,

Never mind, as long as this doesn't get accused of going 'off topic'. wink.png wink.png

Oldworldtraveller and RobBar like this

I know for a fact Ron a friend who is Director of HR for a large international company before employing a member of staff start by putting the applicants name into Google. This will often show what groups a person is a member of . They also check Facebook, Friends Re-United and various other sites. There is a lot of information out there, its just a matter of knowing where to look. wink.png

Interestingly I have a cousin who heads a team of recruiters for some rather large IT companies: she herself being a bit of a computer nerd.

During a discussion she confessed to me that they don't bother with google,  telling me there are far more powerful applications available to them. I think the term she used was 'going or searching under google'.

RobBar and Oldworldtraveller like this

I'm not sure I have seen any member on this forum announcing when they will be on a cruise except Pennbank, one chap who is now a registered guest, and myself on but one occasion - Britannia's maiden.

RobBar likes this