Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Solent Richard

Fred's new livery

30 posts in this topic

I was out and about in Southampton yesterday and spotted a number of smaller cruise ships in port.

A quick check on my favourite Southampton maritime tracking site...

http://www.john-ambler.com/ais/google.html

revealed that two were belonging to Fred Olsen, Boudicca and Balmoral.

Reading recently that they had undergone a livery change I headed down to Mayflower Park and took a couple of photographs.

Boudicca on City Terminal...

24112690101_b1f32107a2_z.jpg

...and Boudicca with Balmoral further up at the Mayflower Terminal...

23567115114_457e3bb17f_z.jpg

So that's the new livery then? Can't say I was over impressed, A bit like Azamara really and the old Saga Rose.

But the real gem of the day was Cruise & Maritime's Marco Polo in, excuse the pun, pole position at Ocean Terminal...

23567118144_683eba0ffa_z.jpg

All three ships, with a combined age of 122 years, made it feel like Southampton was having  a cruising version of a 'Darby & Joan' day.

What's your view on the new Fred Olsen livery?

wheels36 likes this

To help making any comparison, here's Balmoral passing Calshot Spit last year...

17362364102_4edc5c6c02_z.jpg

...in Fred Olsen's previous colours.

Very classical perhaps Freds are trying to drive home their traditional cruise offering.

Not my cup of tea personally but each to their own.

The new livery does give the Fred ships a more traditional feel, but personally I prefer the old livery. As AFC has mentioned it's each to their own.

They look like mini not quite so grand Cunard ships!

Very odd choice!

laugh.png laugh.png  I didn't dare say that.

8734975372_caa6d70790_z.jpg

JH327 and J-Dog like this

laugh.png laugh.png  I didn't dare say that.

8734975372_caa6d70790_z.jpg

You see, that's how it's done!

Poor little Fred's ships just look like a 'tried quite hard but not quite up to scratch' bunch!

Dare I say very DRAB I think the person or persons might be a little colour blind or should that be colourless blindtongue.png

Hi  As usual most of the voices on this forum criticize Fred Olsen and their older vessels but they must be doing something right, it is well documented that they have the highest number of repeat passengers.  Yes the ships aren't state of the art but they well maintained but more importantly the dining is well above that offered on their competitors and visit a wider variety of ports of call.   Fred Olsen offers an alternative for UK passengers who don't wish to sail from Southampton offering a wide range of cruises from other UK ports, most of the objections to this cruise line appears to be by those who believe that newer is better but as I have already stated if you had the choice to stay in the elderly Dorchester or a brand new Travelodge I know which most would opt for.  Just accept that not everybody wishes to sail of a floating entertainment venue and some still prefer a more "classical" cruise experience.

wheels36 likes this

Fair play Land Ahoy do you like the colour scheme?

Hi  I truth I prefer their previous colour scheme but when you are cruising on their vessels you don't notice the external paint colour.  In fact I have never consider booking a cruise because I liked a particular external livery - it's not important.

I think that the new colour scheme looks alright, and from a practical point of view the darker hull will probably require less cosmetic touch-up paint.

Hi  As usual most of the voices on this forum criticize Fred Olsen and their older vessels but they must be doing something right, it is well documented that they have the highest number of repeat passengers.  Yes the ships aren't state of the art but they well maintained but more importantly the dining is well above that offered on their competitors and visit a wider variety of ports of call.   Fred Olsen offers an alternative for UK passengers who don't wish to sail from Southampton offering a wide range of cruises from other UK ports, most of the objections to this cruise line appears to be by those who believe that newer is better but as I have already stated if you had the choice to stay in the elderly Dorchester or a brand new Travelodge I know which most would opt for.  Just accept that not everybody wishes to sail of a floating entertainment venue and some still prefer a more "classical" cruise experience.

I certainly wasn't being critical of Freds as a brand and can't see any others have either?

I've never sailed with them personally but have heard the service & food are superior to P&O!

Just not keen on the Cunard-esque paint job!

ron and JH327 like this

In all honesty not impressed. As already said it is a similar scheme to Cunard and whilst it suits the large ships I think it does little for 'Fred Size' ships. I much preferred the white which I thought made them look classy small ships. To me a ship of white hull and superstructure with just the funnel indicating its line,  and the sun making it glisen as it cuts through the blue ocean waters is a beautiful sight.  I am on Braemar in April so it will be interesting to get passenger reaction. 

ron and Popsicle like this

I have only been on black watch for a day visit and can see their appeal to a target audience, and I must say the service was very good, I was not knocking the cruise line....

Just the livery cool.png 

Interesting discussion - Fred changes colour scheme from what was simikar to the old P&O look to the Cunard look. I think it is smart and like it. Fred coukd not have matched the new P&O as they coukd not have the union flag on the front for obvious reasons.

Interesting discussion - Fred changes colour scheme from what was simikar to the old P&O look to the Cunard look. I think it is smart and like it. Fred coukd not have matched the new P&O as they coukd not have the union flag on the front for obvious reasons.

Not sure why Fred couldn't have a Union Flag on the front as the registered office off Fred Olsen Cruises is in London with an English company registration number. P&O is owned by Carnival Corp of America although also registered in Southampton.

I think that they could have a flag as well.

This reminds me of the company that did not want the flag, British Airways, and famously got the public "handbagging" from Maggie that impacted on their share price and ended in a humiliating climb down a few years later.

As far as livery mistakes go I doubt that will ever be equalled.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Love the pics

I don't think it matters what they look like it is when you are onboard that counts and the service you get. having travelled with Freds a couple of times I cannot by any means fault the service or food its fantastic the décor yes is dated but you really cant fault the amazing staff and dinning.

Land Ahoy likes this

Hello, Thank you Richard for the quality,as always, pictures. You will not be surprised to learn that " Saddo Rodger " has a lap top scrapbook of ship's pictures. Assuming that copyright does not account between friends I have substituted mine for yours,

Rodger