Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wheels36

Tainted ship

19 posts in this topic

The recent crew fatality on Carnival Ecstasy impacted on passengers to the extent that counselling was offered, and with graphic photos posted on the web this ship could well be tainted in the future.

Will this ship still be able to attract sufficient bookings, or will the images have a lasting effect?

I read about this online the other day but didn't see the photos, there was video of some-sort but I decided not to watch. Only time will tell if this will have a lasting effect.

Memories are short and, unless you noticed the news article, I am sure the name of the ship will carry little meaning in the future. Accidents can happen anywhere so I am sure bookingsill continue.

Who can remember 2012 when a passenger fell from Aurora? Did that make the ship tainted - I do not think so. Costa are still taking bookings even after their disaster as well. Unfirtunately, accudents do happen but they should not occur a second time.

RobBar likes this

I find it hard to believe anyone can accidentally fall off a cruise ship. Either while doing something stupid, or deliberate, yes, but accidentally?

ron likes this

Who can remember 2012 when a passenger fell from Aurora? Did that make the ship tainted - I do not think so. Costa are still taking bookings even after their disaster as well. Unfirtunately, accudents do happen but they should not occur a second time.

Same with Ventura, sure it was Ventura anyway, a P&O ship this last year. Someone fell overboard on the way back to southampton.

I hadn't heard of this so I googled it. Of course it was horrific but what really amazed me was that the person who discovered it actually decided to video it on his phone. He claims he's traumatized by the experience and will never forget it. Not too traumatized to video it on his phone though. What is it with people today that their first thought is to take a photo or a video, I'm afraid it wouldn't be mine.

nick1310, RobBar and wheels36 like this

I hadn't heard of this so I googled it. Of course it was horrific but what really amazed me was that the person who discovered it actually decided to video it on his phone. He claims he's traumatized by the experience and will never forget it. Not too traumatized to video it on his phone though. What is it with people today that their first thought is to take a photo or a video, I'm afraid it wouldn't be mine.

The thing that was horrible and senseless by this person was the video was not offered to ship security or the cruise line but sent to news media. Imagine the impact to the family , crew and friends. It was a horrible accident as an elevator inspector or such article pointed out , if someone trips the power back while repairs or what was going on in the shaft then no hope. This to my knowledge will be considered a workplace accident and investigated to ensure safety is paramount. I saw the pictures and ignored the video

Much like a couple who did a selfie of themselves in front or that Hotel fire in Dubai but got shamed by social media

As to the ship.. no, it will go on and  be booked as usual.   

As this article states the real victim was the .crew member who lost his life , and his family .

http://www.travelpulse.com/opinions/column/a-different-perspective-of-carnivals-elevator-accident.html

wheels36 and Tally like this

On the same theme a passenger has filmed an improperly closed aircraft door as a Korean plane made an emergency return to the airport.

Not securely belted in his seat in case of a sudden de-pressurisation.

RobBar likes this

On the same theme a passenger has filmed an improperly closed aircraft door as a Korean plane made an emergency return to the airport.

Not securely belted in his seat in case of a sudden de-pressurisation.

Not to mention the passenger on a local China plane who tried to open the door to commit suicide and some were trying to help ...nutters 

Every ship has its history, whether it be a suicide, accident or natural death. It doesnt necessarily mean that it is tainted. However, if they had decided to rebuild the Concordia I think that would have been a different thing. I do think that it was wrong for such a video to go live, yes I did watch it and cannot see any reason for it to be put onto a website or whatever.

RobBar likes this

I think that this is different to a suicide in that it involves such a central and heavily used part of the ship, and that it was not a happening that was beyond the crew's control.

That is true wheels and it is an incident that shouldn't have happened. If I understand the circumstances right, there should be more safety features so ensure that this could not happen again. I feel sorry for the family though.

wheels36 likes this

I believ know here is no such thing as an accident these days, only incidents, as in the end someone can always be blamed. H&S has become a major industry as has the claims solicitors who usually follow.

That is true wheels and it is an incident that shouldn't have happened. If I understand the circumstances right, there should be more safety features so ensure that this could not happen again. I feel sorry for the family though.

Hi Pesky.

Not only should it not have happened but it should have been impossible, without gross negligence being involved.

The standard procedure is that if a maintenance engineer wishes to enter an area of danger the drive should be locked off by an electrician,and here's the foolproofing part, the maintenance engineer given the lock-off key.

Therefore the key to unlock the elevator drive should have been inside the lift shaft with the unfortunate man, which it clearly was not.

The Pesky Pirate and Tally like this