Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bolsover Cruise Club

What’s Really Included in a Cruise Line’s Drinks Package?

20 posts in this topic

A question we're often faced with when passengers are considering booking there next cruise, does a cruise line's drinks package really represent good value?

We've put Celebrity Cruises to the test as their latest campaign offers passengers a FREE drinks package on selected Oceanview staterooms or above...

Read our blog to find out >>

RobBar likes this

Some people do like to quibble.

It is quite simple, if the offer doesn't suit you then you don't take it up.

Offers for some things, e.g. included tours, we would not be interested in.

As for the free aspect, you should always look at the bottom line.

So, my advice, look at the bottom line and if it works for you then go for it.

RayO

RobBar likes this

A lot of friends on boards I know , opt for the drinks packages and enjoy as such. In our case we mix our choices and truly do not drink enough to justify plus my choice of a rum or scotch sometimes is considered outside the norm range.'

As said prior, do your research

As to Free Drinks in price of cruise which in most cases includes the stateroom room fridge stocked you have to decide is this a perk of the cruise line you selected  overall or did you decide based on the package alone 

Just learned something, have never seen Strongbow as a beer in the Celebrity list  , always had as a cider :)

A lot of friends on boards I know , opt for the drinks packages and enjoy as such. In our case we mix our choices and truly do not drink enough to justify plus my choice of a rum or scotch sometimes is considered outside the norm range.'

As said prior, do your research

As to Free Drinks in price of cruise which in most cases includes the stateroom room fridge stocked you have to decide is this a perk of the cruise line you selected  overall or did you decide based on the package alone 

Just learned something, have never seen Strongbow as a beer in the Celebrity list  , always had as a cider :)

If you have cruised before, you probably have a good idea how much you drink on board, so can decide if the package is worth it for you. I don't think it would be cost effective for us, but it may be for many people.

Incidentally items in the mini bar are NOT included on Celebrity, neither are drinks (apart from ordinary coffee and tea, and possibly juice) from room service.

Sheila

boomboomtime likes this

I agree that research for this kind of thing always proves valuable. Just read the blog article from Bolsover and it's a helpful tool. I often opt for drink packages when sailing with the likes of Celebrity and/or Royal Caribbean. I haven't tried drinks packages with other cruise lines but would always be keen to do so. Not a huge drinker at home but I do like to enjoy a few whilst I'm away so I always think they prove to be good value for my wife and I.

I would say its depends on which drinks package you buy and how much you normally drink, if you drink more then 3-4 alcoholic drinks a day plus soft drinks its worth it and would always buy the full package so your not restricted on the value of the drink.smile.png

I had a drinks package on MSC and it was worth every penny we paid! it was £21pp per day and it was pretty much all the drinks spirits and cocktails

drinks packages are really good, and great value especially on the american companies such as royal Caribbean and celebrity. celebrity's drinks package is worth about £500pp and includes everything. p&o don't need a drinks package as there prices are a lot more reasonable. you also find drinks packages with the American companies also add a drinks service charge onto the bill of about 18% if you don't have the drinks package. smile.png 

I find the Celebrity Cruises drinks packages very good value for money and always take up the opportunity when we're on board. 

fred olsens drinks package at £10 a day is fantastic! even if you don't drink alcohol you can spend more than £10 a day!

drinks packages are really good, and great value especially on the american companies such as royal Caribbean and celebrity. celebrity's drinks package is worth about £500pp and includes everything. p&o don't need a drinks package as there prices are a lot more reasonable. you also find drinks packages with the American companies also add a drinks service charge onto the bill of about 18% if you don't have the drinks package. :) 

I can't remember ever coming off a cruise with a drink bill greater than $500 pp, never mind £500, and we have taken individual cruises of up to 18 days. I guess we are not serious drinkers so they do not represent good value for us.

fred olsens drinks package at £10 a day is fantastic! even if you don't drink alcohol you can spend more than £10 a day!

I agree. My consumption on holiday is  G&T before dinner and a Brandy at bed time. The occasional Glass of wine with dinner, I might have a tonic while sunning on deck and in very hot climates I might have one shandy at lunch time. This would cost more than £10 a day, so this is very good value.

Since we first cruised with Celebrity three years ago they have reduced the value of drinks allowed in their drinks package to the extent that there are now barely any wines, or cocktails included in their classics package.  Last year it took me quite a lot of work to get a list out of them of what actual named drinks would be included.  I did get a list in the end but when I tried to get the same for this years cruise they said this would not be possible.  But even having a list is not foolproof as we found some beers, for example, were only available in one bar (never the one you are in), were out of stock or were never stocked in the first place. A drinks package, unless provided free is potentially a mega rip-off that can be manipulated by the cruise line whenever they like within the terms of the offer.

iknowlescourier likes this