Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Open Deck Space

17 posts in this topic

HI   Most modern ships have "limited" open deck space and the sun loungers are often packed in like sardines and finding a space is compounded by some passengers reserving sun loungers and not returning to them for many hours.  Which ships do you find this to be a problem?   Others have plenty of space and finding a convenient space is no problem but these tend to be the more expensive cruise ships but even these can't match the open deck space provided on river cruise ships.  Do you find this to be a problem or do you prefer to take part in the daytime activities provided by the entertainment staff?

wheels36 likes this

Only found it on P&O especially on Ventura and Azura. Indeed, on a trans atlantic crossing a few years ago on Ventura we had fights over sunbeams. Not rumour, personally witnessed. Never had a problem on RCI or Celebrity who monitor those  beds that have been reserved. Not used for 60 minutes, towels etc removed. No problem on Fred Olsen, MSC, HAL, NCL or indeed on any other line including river cruise lines. It seems to be something the Brits have learned from a certain European country. 

wheels36 likes this

Always managed to find a sunbed somewhere, sometimes they are full round the pools but there are usually some on the top decks. It could be that we don't cruise south in the height of summer.Although it can be annoying when people save them for hours -last cruise saw a large family party  save a full row of 10 sunbeds, we were on the row in front and at no time during the day were there more than 3 passengers on them. When we traveled with children we only used 2 sunbeds as we knew they would not sit still for long.

wheels36 likes this

Very annoying to see sun beds being reserved especially when they are not used for hours! I was on Ventura last summer and it was a bit of an issue, I recall a time as mentioned above where 8 beds had towels put on them the two families then went into the buffet, a couple of people came back and used the beds but the kids were in the pool then went to a kids club for a while and all the time the beds were being saved for the children who literally didn't use them and the other two adults who were nowhere to be seen.

wheels36 likes this

We prefer the daytime activities, but can see this as an ongoing problem with the larger ships where the passenger numbers to deck space ratio is high. Where the cruise line does not manage the situation (why are P&O always in the frame when poor management is the issue)there is potential for trouble, and there will no doubt be people thrown off ships in the future as a result of sunbed altercations.

Only found it on P&O especially on Ventura and Azura. Indeed, on a trans atlantic crossing a few years ago on Ventura we had fights over sunbeams. Not rumour, personally witnessed. Never had a problem on RCI or Celebrity who monitor those  beds that have been reserved. Not used for 60 minutes, towels etc removed. No problem on Fred Olsen, MSC, HAL, NCL or indeed on any other line including river cruise lines. It seems to be something the Brits have learned from a certain European country. 

We prefer the daytime activities, but can see this as an ongoing problem with the larger ships where the passenger numbers to deck space ratio is high. Where the cruise line does not manage the situation (why are P&O always in the frame when poor management is the issue)there is potential for trouble, and there will no doubt be people thrown off ships in the future as a result of sunbed altercations.

I think if I saw fights over sunbeds then it would be my last cruise with that particular line.

The sunbed issues people have don't affect me as I'm not one for sitting in the sun and I've never yet used a sunbed. I like to walk around the decks for fresh air, but I usually prefer to sit and read on my balcony in peace and quiet. I also like to do some of the daytime activities too.

I have found the issue of smoking adds to the problem. On our last 2 cruises, with P&O, effectively half of the rear, tiered, space was allocated for smoking which pushed us non smokers to a rather limited space. p&O had also placed tables out on the rear wings of the decks which reduced the soac for sun loungers. I got the feeling they really wantd sun loungers only on the top deck, many of which were reserved. They do say that if a lounger has not beensed for a reasonable time, say 20 minutes, you can claim it.

I have found the issue of smoking adds to the problem. On our last 2 cruises, with P&O, effectively half of the rear, tiered, space was allocated for smoking which pushed us non smokers to a rather limited space. p&O had also placed tables out on the rear wings of the decks which reduced the soac for sun loungers. I got the feeling they really wantd sun loungers only on the top deck, many of which were reserved. They do say that if a lounger has not beensed for a reasonable time, say 20 minutes, you can claim it.

I think twenty minutes is rather short.  A dip in the pool may well last that long, but I do agree that loungers that are left for an hour should be regarded as available.  I would be hesitant to remove anyone's possessions for fear of provoking aggressive behaviour, but I would ask a pool butler to do it for me.  We had a bad experience once at an all inclusive resort when we used loungers that had only resort towels on them.  The people around said they had not been occupied for ages.  We sat there for over an hour, then some rather inebriated people came and yelled at us and started trying to push us away.  Luckily security dealt with them quickly, but it was quite scary.

We usually cruse in spring or autumn, so the weather is not often hot enough for the outside decks to be really crowded.  People sleeping or playing cards for hours at buffet or coffee shop tables while others are waiting for seats is a topic for another thread!

I think if I saw fights over sunbeds then it would be my last cruise with that particular line.

You probably need to give P&O a miss then as there was big trouble on Britannia's Caribbean cruise, where several members of an extended family were thrown off.

There is also additional pressure on deck space as the cruise lines target families, with children much more likely to spend time around the pool.