Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Paul3349

World Cruise Advice

13 posts in this topic

Hi...I am wanting to book my first world cruise this year, departing January 2018. I have started my research. I am thinking Cunard, but wanted to know if anyone can suggest or recommend any others. My criteria is a full circumnavigation on a good ship. My worries are that I may see the world from cargo docks...I know corners are being cut with some cruise lines, but to be docked next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge would be one of my highlights. Any views or tips are much appreciated and any positive or negatives experiences of a full world cruise also welcome. Thanks

JH327 likes this

On the question of Sydney OPT and the Bridge, the mooring posts and dolphins were extended to allow the larger ships to berth alongside there, rather than at the former Garden Island, (a rather grand name for using part of the Royal Australian Naval base.)

Similarly, Sydney now has another cruise facility for those ships than can pass under the iconic bridge, at what is called the White Bay Cruise Terminal. It's not too bad a facility, but definitely cannot compare to being moored at the OPT with the bridge to one side and the Opera House to the other.

So its a gamble on what size ship to take, given that a very big ship moored at Sydney, by the Bridge, may well, as you say, end up in a container port in other places, as we have experienced ourselves on other occasions.

As you may gave gathered from my 'Username' we are quite fans of Holland America Line.

For a full and extensive World cruise on a 65-70,000 tonnes ship, you could look at MS Amsterdam, but she wont likely be starting from anywhere in the UK, you might need to get over to Holland or elsewhere, but the itineraries they produce for her are excellent.

Similarly, if you look at MS Rotterdam, which frequently calls in to Southampton, both on the way out and the way back from her cruises to the Far East and back each year.

I'd put HAL as being less formal than Cunard, in having only either 'Formal' or Smart casual attire, but that also means nobody turns up to dinner in jeans and a T-shirt thinking they are complying with the required standard.

Similarly, in our view they are a notch above P&O in their customer service delivery and friendly attentive style.

Good Luck & God Speed in your coming adventure.

Paul3349 likes this

For a full and extensive World cruise on a 65-70,000 tonnes ship, you could look at MS Amsterdam, but she wont likely be starting from anywhere in the UK, you might need to get over to Holland or elsewhere, but the itineraries they produce for her are excellent.

I believe that the HAL world cruise (this year and next at least) departs from Fort Lauderdale.

There are a number of blogs online which might give you an insight including these ones

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2015/01/19/captains-log-sail-along-on-the-grand-world-voyage-cruise/

http://captainjonathan.com/23rd-january-and-24th-january/

Paul3349 likes this

We've done 2 world cruises both on P&O's Aurora. Our second world cruise was last year. We stopped in Sydney on both cruises and were docked opposite the Sydney Opera House and by the bridge. Last time we had two days in Sydney but were only docked for second day. On the first day we had to tender in.  

Paul3349 likes this

Hi...I am wanting to book my first world cruise this year, departing January 2018. I have started my research. I am thinking Cunard, but wanted to know if anyone can suggest or recommend any others. My criteria is a full circumnavigation on a good ship. My worries are that I may see the world from cargo docks...I know corners are being cut with some cruise lines, but to be docked next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge would be one of my highlights. Any views or tips are much appreciated and any positive or negatives experiences of a full world cruise also welcome. Thanks

On the question of Sydney OPT and the Bridge, the mooring posts and dolphins were extended to allow the larger ships to berth alongside there, rather than at the former Garden Island, (a rather grand name for using part of the Royal Australian Naval base.)

Similarly, Sydney now has another cruise facility for those ships than can pass under the iconic bridge, at what is called the White Bay Cruise Terminal. It's not too bad a facility, but definitely cannot compare to being moored at the OPT with the bridge to one side and the Opera House to the other.

So its a gamble on what size ship to take, given that a very big ship moored at Sydney, by the Bridge, may well, as you say, end up in a container port in other places, as we have experienced ourselves on other occasions.

As you may gave gathered from my 'Username' we are quite fans of Holland America Line.

Similarly, if you look at MS Rotterdam, which frequently calls in to Southampton, both on the way out and the way back from her cruises to the Far East and back each year.

I'd put HAL as being less formal than Cunard, in having only either 'Formal' or Smart casual attire, but that also means nobody turns up to dinner in jeans and a T-shirt thinking they are complying with the required standard.

Similarly, in our view they are a notch above P&O in their customer service delivery and friendly attentive style.

Good Luck & God Speed in your coming adventure.

Good afternoon Paul.

I cruised with Cunard's Queen Mary 2 from UK to Sydney in 2009 circumnavigating South America. It was a fabulous cruise. Inevitably there will always be the odd port that   doesn't have docking at the heart of the city.

In Sydney that year we docked at the old Australian Naval Base which in fact is now a big tourist area in itself...

11725763953_4ab353b5c1_z.jpg

Since then the berth near the Opera House and Sydney Bridge has been deepened and even Queen Mary 2 can now get alongside. Here are two photographs I took in February 2014...

13290097935_8eb847795b_z.jpg

13290463534_53ceb296fe_z.jpg

I think basically you have to take the rough with the smooth at some ports. If the places are of interest but there are no gratifying berthing arrangements then is a small price to pay.

I have also circumnavigated the world on Aurora and the same applies; Sharm el Sheik, Safaga and Shanghai spring to mind.

Paul3349 likes this

My criteria is a full circumnavigation on a good ship. My worries are that I may see the world from cargo docks...

Hello again Paul.

I dug out a couple of photographs to illustrate a point. Both were taken on my recent cruise and show our berth in 'cargo docks' ...

Miami

24259687989_c0f8fd7bb9_z.jpg

Santo Tomas, Guatemala

24546396451_38528359fb_z.jpg

Would I have missed those ports because of their berths. Not on your Nelly.

Paul3349 likes this

Paul

I forgot to say that if you do a circumnavigation, try and go from West to East. If you go from East to West you will lose an hour rather than gain an hour. The clocks on the ship go forward at noon, so you lose part of your day. You will have a 'day that never was' though. So you lose a whole day but it's preferable to having so many days cut short in my opinion.smile.png

Paul3349 likes this

Hi thanks for all the comments, Tips and suggestions. I will look at HAL and compare. I am favouring at the moment, Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth. I am presently in Cape Town and Queen Elizabeth is in and docked at a prime location, two years ago when Queeen Mary 2 was in she was moored about 2 miles away in a cargo yard, so that's put me off QM2...I have previously cruised with QM2 and she's a very nice ship though ! I love Azamara, but their two ships or similar size ships are too small for a world cruise, so I will look again at P and O. Thanks everyone again, most appreciated...anything else you think of that will help, then let me know.

Hi thanks for all the comments, Tips and suggestions. I will look at HAL and compare. I am favouring at the moment, Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth. I am presently in Cape Town and Queen Elizabeth is in and docked at a prime location, two years ago when Queeen Mary 2 was in she was moored about 2 miles away in a cargo yard, so that's put me off QM2...I have previously cruised with QM2 and she's a very nice ship though ! I love Azamara, but their two ships or similar size ships are too small for a world cruise, so I will look again at P and O. Thanks everyone again, most appreciated...anything else you think of that will help, then let me know.

Hi Paul, lucky old you.

There is a forum member on Queen Elizabeth, MaggieMou.  I have been following her adventures on the Cunard Fanzine.

I well recall visiting Capetown on QE2 many years ago...

24037172453_716d6a2d36_z.jpg

We overnighted twice on what was then called a 'Line Voyage' - Southampton to Mauritious and return. One day we chartered a helicopter to fly over Table Mountain. I was thrilled when the pilot offered to fly over the ship...

24637773016_539ae611fa_z.jpg

On the home leg we stopped at Walvis Bay, Namibia and went 'Dune' riding as only it should be done.

24035822634_22bd085c50_z.jpg

That's one very excited Solent Barbara riding the dunes.

Bon Voyage anyway, do keep us posted.

Paul3349 likes this

HI...Just to let you know the latest...I have pre registered for the Full World Cruise on Queen Elizabeth. Feeling very excited about this.  I will get confirmation of cabin etc when Cunard go on sale 5th April 1pm !!!!. Thanks for the help and advice.