Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Insurers and luggage.

9 posts in this topic

The issue of luggage insurance seems to be quite a grey issue after you have checked in, when the insurer stipulates that loss issues are firstly with the airline/cruise line. This raises the question as to when responsibility for luggage passes back to the passenger, and where does responsibility lie when the luggage is outside of the cabin, whether at the start or end of the cruise.

Good point Wheels.

Celebrity lost one of my suitcases while disembarking in Buenos Aires and initially were very keen for me to claim on my insurance.

I wasn't having any of it and, to be fair to them, they eventually found it and had it shipped back to UK via Fedex.

It was fun tracking it across three continents...

24014476644_0140ac9b14_z.jpg

...eventually arriving at Solent Towers...

24642614235_6fdf416e8b_z.jpg

Followed by a 'One Third' off future cruise certificate. 

wheels36 likes this

From my own experience on this the responsibility is the only the passengers when you have control of your luggage, so from the time it is left outside your door on ship to the quayside it is the cruise operators and from the time it is checked in to offloading it from the carousel is the airlines.

It has to be said that sometimes neither of them are the most careful!!!!!

wheels36 and Captain Kidd II like this

We traveled with my son and his girlfriend on Princess a few years ago and when the luggage had been offloaded at Southampton the handle was missing from her suitcase and the wheels had been broken. We went straight to the helpdesk who were very unhelpful they refused to take any responsibility for the damage and suggested she claim on her travel insurance. The problem was she was travelling home from Southampton by train and couldn't even lift the case without the handle. My son had to buy a train ticket to travel home with her so we could fit the suitcase into our car. We then had to divert from our journey home to drop off the case and pick up our son. She never received any money back for the damaged case and we were all out of pocket because we had to change travel arrangements.

wheels36 likes this

Interesting comments. When you hand your bags over you have decided to do so even though you could take them onboard yourself. It coukd therefore be argued that any third party handling cases are doing so at the owners risk and so any claim woukd be against the passenger's insurance.

If you want complete peace of mind then take the bags on yourself.

Sorry to hear of that Seawitch, mine was a similar expereince and also Princess. My case was on the Quayside with a big slash in it and you could put your hand inside. It was post 9/11 so I refused to leave until they had done something about it as I said they had compromised my safety at the airport as I couldnt answer yes/no to the question 'has anyone tampered with your luggage' they finally agreed to pay for a new case as the damage occured whilst in their hands.

If it happens in future stick them out!!!

Captain Kidd II likes this

Interesting comments. When you hand your bags over you have decided to do so even though you could take them onboard yourself. It coukd therefore be argued that any third party handling cases are doing so at the owners risk and so any claim woukd be against the passenger's insurance.

Obviously you can get insurance to cover any situation, but the standard policies are insuring your baggage for when it is in your control.

There is another issue regarding luggage that was not discussed on the recent "check-in" thread, but affects people travelling to the port the day before.

If you have a late check-in time but must be out of your hotel room in the morning, most hotels will be happy to look after your bags for a few hours while you do some shopping or whatever. The sting here is that the luggage must be kept in a locked room with no public access, or otherwise you are not insured.

It coukd therefore be argued that any third party handling cases are doing so at the owners risk and so any claim woukd be against the passenger's insurance.

I'm not sure that the position is altered very much just because you have a choice to take bags on yourself.  I suspect the difficulty will be in establishing negligence.

I agree, but with two children I'm just happy to get rid of the bags!