Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mimosa

Anthem of the Seas: Cruiseliner hit by 30ft waves and 150mph winds during 'hurricane'

29 posts in this topic

This is probably the worst weather situation that one of the mega ships has encountered, and the designers will no doubt be looking carefully at the way the ship behaved relative to testing tank predictions. If reports of the captain struggling to get the ship facing into the wind are correct, then there could be long term design implications.

RobBar likes this

Probably one of those instances where all the computer model scenarios dont work, you cant account for the weather it does its own thing. At least they have expereinced captains at the helm and as you say wheels it will make them look at future designs

RobBar likes this

I’ve seen all the photos and videos on line, yes they are shocking but on a positive note no one was seriously hurt and the damage is relatively cosmetic.  I wouldn’t of liked to be in the storm but for what hit her Anthem Of The Seas shows just what a battering these ships can take.

nick1310, wheels36 and Matilda_1 like this

Did anyone notice that it was reported she went 45 degree over? I commented on another forum regarding this as anothr5 degrees would have taken halfway, but another member said this was someone panicking , I had wondered if she would be able to right herself being such an ungainly block of flats. and such a monster   I firmly believe these ships are too big.CG

wheels36 likes this

Did anyone notice that it was reported she went 45 degree over? I commented on another forum regarding this as anothr5 degrees would have taken halfway, but another member said this was someone panicking , I had wondered if she would be able to right herself being such an ungainly block of flats. and such a monster   I firmly believe these ships are too big.CG

Ships nowadays can list 90 degrees and still regain stature, not that I would ever want to experience that.

On a lighter note the one thing the storm didn’t wipe out was the internet, Americans where still able to watch their beloved Superbowl and could Tweet and post photos,  I could do with “Voom” I lose connection in a rain shower.

nick1310 and Mimosa like this

A list of 45 degree sounds like an exaggeration.

To prevent these "block of flats" from capsizing in storm conditions the designers have to make the ship a suitable width, and get the centre of gravity as low as possible as if the centre of gravity of the ship passed the centre of buoyancy of the ship during a list, then the ship would capsize. They do not publish the wind forces that the floating ship without power could withstand.

In these conditions the captain does not risk it and points the ship into the wind so that the ship does not get the huge wind forces on the large area above sea level at the port and starboard sides. He was apparently struggling to keep the ship in the necessary position pointing in the wind, but how serious his situation became at the height of the problem we are unlikely to find out.

This is probably the worst weather situation that one of the mega ships has encountered, and the designers will no doubt be looking carefully at the way the ship behaved relative to testing tank predictions. If reports of the captain struggling to get the ship facing into the wind are correct, then there could be long term design implications.

I saw the Captain interviewed on the ship (20 minutes ) and he explained in detail and maps what happened. Also the CD was invited to be on the Bridge during the time to talk to the passengers.. On the Bridge the ship held steady through the pounding and the officers were and professional as they checked with all areas. The winds came up faster than expected per information from CoastGuard and office, the destination were cancelled due to new unexpected weather coming off the land area so they elected not to put passengers through another cycle of bad weather. Passengers asked to be in cabins from a safety view though those who elected to stay in Lounges were allowed. The ship handled itself well as designed and any breakages were of hotel stuff like planters or chairs not fastened down . Some of the radar covers were torn a bit due to not being designed for 150mph , Pictures of food and dishes were just that, not everything could be tied down that fast

http://www.crew-center.com/anthem-seas-post-storm-interview-captain-claus-andre-anderson

wheels36 and Falmouthgirl like this

Glad I was not on Board. Has anyone been on a cruise and had to be confined to cabins due to bad weather? I know of one.

My daughter and family on a Disney cruise, last sea day making way back to Florida , were supposed to be at Disney island. It was winds of a Hurricane came a different direction than forecast . they were fine with kids but she made the mistake of peaking outside the porthole,, waves

I saw the Captain interviewed on the ship (20 minutes ) and he explained in detail and maps what happened. Also the CD was invited to be on the Bridge during the time to talk to the passengers.. On the Bridge the ship held steady through the pounding and the officers were and professional as they checked with all areas. The winds came up faster than expected per information from CoastGuard and office, the destination were cancelled due to new unexpected weather coming off the land area so they elected not to put passengers through another cycle of bad weather. Passengers asked to be in cabins from a safety view though those who elected to stay in Lounges were allowed. The ship handled itself well as designed and any breakages were of hotel stuff like planters or chairs not fastened down . Some of the radar covers were torn a bit due to not being designed for 150mph , Pictures of food and dishes were just that, not everything could be tied down that fast

http://www.crew-center.com/anthem-seas-post-storm-interview-captain-claus-andre-anderson

There were passenger reports of the ship being broadside to the wind and listing, while the captain understandably is painting a different picture.

The detail will probably be discussed behind closed doors, but if the ship was lacking power at a critical time then we will probably see implications in future SOLAS regulations.

RobBar likes this

There were passenger reports of the ship being broadside to the wind and listing, while the captain understandably is painting a different picture.

The detail will probably be discussed behind closed doors, but if the ship was lacking power at a critical time then we will probably see implications in future SOLAS regulations.

I am not an armchair warrior but I believe what the Captain said and also he has vast experience around parts of the world. This video will be examined by the Master of RCCL and statements from the Officers on the Bridge for any board of inquiry so if changes fair enough .. time will tell. The First RCCL ship of this design came across the Atlantic to Florida and held against weather of same nature..