Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shetlander

Long Days & Overnight in Port

16 posts in this topic

I often read posts about members’ desire for longer days in port and more overnight stays.  This got me thinking,

There have indeed been a few ports where a stay long into the evening would have been nice.  For example I did think when we were in Kotor a couple of years ago that it would have been really nice to have been able to go shore there for dinner.  Venice is another port where an overnight stay would work very well and you quite often see that on itineraries.  

We have only had a few overnight stays, but we do try to eat ashore on those occasions. However I also like a cruise to be a cruise and an evening at sea is all part of that for me!

So which ports do you think work really well for a stay into the evening or overnight, and what would be your recommendations on how to take advantage of the extra time?

An interesting question Shetlander. I could name a few but first a story.

We were on QM2 as part of her world cruise in 2009. One port of call was Rio de Janeiro where we stayed until midnight.

My wife and I headed off to Ipanema to experience the night life and returned with half an hour to spare. The ship was very quiet.

The following day it was if all hell had broken loose. Cunard had put on a show in the theatre, kind of folk loric.

The moaners were complain that the theatre was full and not everyone could get in.

My answer/question was... " what on earth were that many staying on board for when there was an evening to be had in Rio?

JH327 and Shetlander like this

Interesting question you pose Shetlander, I think every port of call changes in a evening so the more late leaves or overnights will give everyone a better insight, my favourite in an evening was Singapore which looks totally different in an evening

An interesting question Shetlander. I could name a few but first a story.

We were on QM2 as part of her world cruise in 2009. One port of call was Rio de Janeiro where we stayed until midnight.

My wife and I headed off to Ipanema to experience the night life and returned with half an hour to spare. The ship was very quiet.

The following day it was if all hell had broken loose. Cunard had put on a show in the theatre, kind of folk loric.

The moaners were complain that the theatre was full and not everyone could get in.

My answer/question was... " what on earth were that many staying on board for when there was an evening to be had in Rio?

I find that quite surprising on a world cruise.  As I said I enjoy nights on board the ship (after all I have booked a cruise) but with a world cruise there are plenty of sea days that I would have thought that people would jump at such an opportunity.

P.S.  I do hope I am right in sensing that some photos of nights ashore might be coming along!

JH327 likes this

Interesting question you pose Shetlander, I think every port of call changes in a evening so the more late leaves or overnights will give everyone a better insight, my favourite in an evening was Singapore which looks totally different in an evening

I think Singapore would be great.  Any recommendations for others on what to do on an overnight stop?

As prompted by a previous thread, how about something to eat here

http://www.marinabaysands.com/sands-skypark/infinity-pool.html

We decided not to eat at Marina Bay, but opted for the street food & drinks around the bay so we could watch the light show, very popular and we struggled to get a seat but it was cheap and the food tasted great. The drinks at Marina Bay though were as expensive as a Singapore Sling at Raffles ( but maybe a premium price is for the view as well)

If I could dig them out I would be happy to put the evening photo's on the forum but someone may beat me to it

We decided not to eat at Marina Bay, but opted for the street food & drinks around the bay so we could watch the light show, very popular and we struggled to get a seat but it was cheap and the food tasted great. The drinks at Marina Bay though were as expensive as a Singapore Sling at Raffles ( but maybe a premium price is for the view as well)

If I could dig them out I would be happy to put the evening photo's on the forum but someone may beat me to it

Apologies cruise chef - as it was you who originally mentioned Marina Bay!

Thats OK, if you ever do get Singpore as overnight the other fun thing we did was breakfast at the zoo with the Orangutans, it was funny & bizarre all at the same time

We enjoy late nights or overnights in port.  We had an overnight in Singapore and took a boat from Clarke Quay to Merlion park for dinner and the light show - great fun.  We have also overnighted in Venice, where we had an early dinner on board after a day of sightseeing, then went back ashore (we had a day ticket on the vaporettos) for a visit to a couple of bars were locals hung out.  When we had an overnight in St. Petersburg, we were exhausted after a day of intensive sightseeing, so we were happy to return to the ship to watch a folklore show and have an early night to prepare for another day in the city.  We encountered two couples who had booked full day tours and an evening activity and didn't take the evening part because they were too tired.

A different overnight was in Le Havre.  We hired a car and the first day we toured the Normandy battlefields, with no worry about being late back.  The second day we drove to Honfleur where we explored and had lunch before returning for an afternoon sail away.

Sheila

Strangely enough I was only reading about the midnight cruises along the Neva and thought of doing one when we go to St Petersburg. Perhaps we may be too tired to do it and I am not sure how we get in to the city to pick up the trip.

We went to the Ballet on one of our overnights in St Petersburg, was a lovely experience,but out of three overnights there that was the only time we went ashore-because of the visa problem. A overnight in Malta was a really nice evening as there are a nice selection of bars and restaurants on the quayside.We have 2 late nights on our next cruise and an overnight on the cruise we are looking at for later in the year. It looks as if they are listening to passengers and including more evenings in port and overnights.   

We went to the Ballet on one of our overnights in St Petersburg, was a lovely experience,but out of three overnights there that was the only time we went ashore-because of the visa problem. A overnight in Malta was a really nice evening as there are a nice selection of bars and restaurants on the quayside.We have 2 late nights on our next cruise and an overnight on the cruise we are looking at for later in the year. It looks as if they are listening to passengers and including more evenings in port and overnights.

What a pity you missed the experience of St. Petersburg. Cruise lines publicize the myth that you can only go ashore without a visa if you are booked on one of their expensive tours. This is not true. There are a number of authorized private tour companies that can obtain a group visa for their clients. The cost (if there is one) is included in their tour prices, which are often half the price of the ships' tours. The only caveat is that you have to book in advance and send passport details. In return, they send you an email to be presented when leaving the port area which acts as a visa. You do not pay anything until the second day of your tour, or the end of the first day if you book a one day tour. No money or credit card information up front.

Sheila

What a pity you missed the experience of St. Petersburg. Cruise lines publicize the myth that you can only go ashore without a visa if you are booked on one of their expensive tours. This is not true. There are a number of authorized private tour companies that can obtain a group visa for their clients. The cost (if there is one) is included in their tour prices, which are often half the price of the ships' tours. The only caveat is that you have to book in advance and send passport details. In return, they send you an email to be presented when leaving the port area which acts as a visa. You do not pay anything until the second day of your tour, or the end of the first day if you book a one day tour. No money or credit card information up front.

Sheila

We used a private tour company for our tours during the day,but the only evening  tour any of then ran was the ballet and we were not bothered about seeing the same ballet 3 times. We could have had a private car from them with driver but they were expensive just for a drive round at night (which we done with the ballet) and the ship had a full Russian folk group to do a show on the ship which was wonderful.

smtcan likes this

We overnighted in Amsterdam and found the whole experience brilliant, many places are very different by night. Also had a very late sailing from San Fransico allowing us to roam around fishermans wharf again very pleasant.

We used a private tour company for our tours during the day,but the only evening  tour any of then ran was the ballet and we were not bothered about seeing the same ballet 3 times. We could have had a private car from them with driver but they were expensive just for a drive round at night (which we done with the ballet) and the ship had a full Russian folk group to do a show on the ship which was wonderful.

Sorry, I misread your previous post!