Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheels36

Cunard and Liverpool.

4 posts in this topic

Following the 175th anniversary celebrations, Cunard have tried to give the proposed new Liverpool terminal a push by saying that they would schedule some transatlantic sailings via Liverpool. They apparently consider the present facilities suitable for embarking less than 500 people.

I would probably agree I visited Liverpool and the road system round the temporary port is a nightmare, as is the parking, so it would need a massive change to embark a ship of that size

I was up there recently and quite co-incidentally for the 100th Anniversary of the Cunard Building celebrations, whilst on Queen Elizabeth.

Great place, wonderful city, fabulous, friendly people (as always!)

But as for embarking 500+ people or more though?? Certainly not, if our the recent transit operation, is to be the standard, I would suggest?

We'd left the ship reasonably early (9.30-ish) to do a bit of early shopping and returned with our purchases, only to discover that 1 1/2 hours later, the exit gate we'd left from had now been closed, and we had to re-trace our steps, plus a further 400 metres or so to the now 'Open' Cruise Terminal, to clear security there, before finally re-boarding midships.

Later on in the day, having caught up with my long time and much loved 'Liverpudlian' friends ashore for lunch and also taken their own self- styled 'best of our home town' walking tour of Liverpool once again, we again returned to the ship in the late afternoon. Only to find that the Cruise Terminal had now closed, and once again we were redirected back along the external pathways to the earlier gate, close to the bow of the ship, to gain ship access once again. 

At the end of the day, it wasn't a problem, simply a nuisance and a minor inconvenience.

Yet, to become a viable all-weather embarkation port, all car-parking considerations aside, I do feel there is significant work ahead that would seriously need to be done, if this is to become a successful and viable enterprise for any future Cunard operations.

That all said, it was a fabulous day/evening and the fireworks and music were of the very best!  

We were on the 175th and embarked at Liverpool. Much as it hurts to say it, it wasn't very good. There had been mutters as to why it was limited boarding there compared to Southampton and it quickly became obvious that Cunard had got it right-they couldn't cope. Wish Cunard would sail from there but not without a lot bigger terminal