Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RiverSong

Most Embarrassing Cruise Moment.

20 posts in this topic

Holly Willoughby has shared her “Dress Splitting” disaster at No 10 Downing Street with the Nation.  The This Morning presenter found herself in a rather awkward predicament when the zip detail on the back of her dress split leaving not a lot to the imagination.  So made me think what has been the most embarrassing thing happen to on a cruise or that you have witnessed.

I once manged to put a dress on inside out, and didn’t notice till a kindly gentleman took me to one side to advise, which goes to show how much notice my other half takes in what I’m wearing.

loz6, WAVES, kerry304 and 4 others like this

Mine has got to be fainting at the pool bar on the first day of holiday, in full view of everyone (combination of sun/drink/exhaustion from travelling). When I came to, (on the floor) I could see my husband was running round the pool towards me with a wheelchair sad.png  That was pretty embarrassing!

J-Dog, RiverSong, wheels36 and 1 other like this

A semi-embarrassment for me was a cruise on the Elation out of San Pedro, CA about 15 years ago. Rita and I were in a formal night photo line behind a man who looked every bit of 7 foot tall and the woman with him maybe 5 foot tall. I notice he had a RW shaved into his hair line. Then it hit me who he might be so I asked him if he was Rasheem Wallace that played college basketball for UNC and now plays pro ball with the Portland Trailblazers? He said 'shhh don’t' say my name out loud as I don't want anyone to recognize me and my name is pronounced Rasheed not Rasheem! I told him I was embarrassed for mispronouncing his name however if you don't want folks to know who you are maybe you shouldn't have your initials shaved in your head! The woman with him who turned out to be his wife agreed with me about the RW in his head. She was real nice and always spoke to us for the remainder of the cruise. He never did after that night and always had a floppy hat covering his initials. Incidentally he was known as the bad boy of the NBA and held the record for the most technical fouls! 

Hi   I was once ordering a drink at the poolside bar and a young woman asked if I was enjoying the cruise, I replied in the affirmative and asked her a similar question and added that I enjoyed the evening entertainment with the Opera Babes.  She then informed me that she was part of the trio, I certainly didn't recognise her in her day wear and without  make up.  I agree it wasn't too embarrassing but it would have been if I said the group were terrible! 

wheels36 and RiverSong like this

At dinner one evening the subject of charities arose and I was telling the person opposite that my wife ran a charity, and we were also involved in another small charity. I then went on a rant about how the large charities were just businesses squeezing the small charities and wasting donations on advertising, etc, etc, etc.

The woman sitting next to me who had been quiet to this point then announced that she was a fundraiser for a large charity, at which point I had a temporary lapse in manners and said "I suppose that there are a lot of those jobs in big charities".

On our first Caribbean transatlantic cruise, we were unfortunate enough for my 2 year old daughter to get chicken pox which came out as we were leaving the Azores. Confined to the cabin for 7 days, our only option to be able to see the first 4 islands was for one of us to get off early with our 4 year old son, get back for lunch and let the other one explore. First stop Antigua, we were literally the first ones off and in a taxi to Dickenson Bay. On the beach by 8am, first ones there. All I've got going through my mind is "water and suncream". So we found our perfect spot, got settled with our obvious P&O beach towels then off into the sea to play. 

Upon returning to our towels, we had been completely surrounded by a large group of young ladies, mostly topless! Struggled to make it back to our spot without making eye contact, finally sat down to get out the water and suncream when our dining companions just happened to walk past. And at the top of his voice "FOUND YOURSELF A NICE SPOT THERE!". Thanks. To be fair, it must have looked like I had decided to sit there, rather than being the first to arrive. But try explaining that to your wife...

wheels36, HLM and KeithnRita like this

Second sitting dinner was quite often embarrassing with my youngest. He was always willing to try new foods, loudly but politely asking what sweetbreads were , and then being quite eager to try them. Whitebait went down head first and wriggling. Steak tartar, green beef, snails, not to mention mention the frogs legs and peas .

wheels36 likes this

I thought that this was a really good topic, but with the number of anecdotes in only single figures the response could be described as muted to say the least. Surely with the number of cruises taken by forum members there must be dozens of stories to tell.

Try standing in the que, waiting for the Captain's cocktail party, when someone kindly taps you on the shoulder to tell you the flaps on your new dinner jacket are still stiched up,

wheels36 and Furby like this

Not a cruise embarrassment but embarrassing all the same. Having just got to our hotel room my ex wanted something from reception so off he went taking the lift. When he reached the floor the doors remained shut and in a blind panic he started to prise them open only to find a brick wall. It was then he heard stifled sniggering and turned to see a hoard of people through the doors that had opened behind him!!

Furby and Don_Harrison like this

My most embarrassing moment was on a formal night on a cruise.  I had decided to wear a beautiful silk skirt I had made in Thailand.  However due to all the wonderful food on board I had put on a little weight (that's me me kind to myself - I had chunked up quite a bit).  Anyhow to avoid a VPL I decided not to wear any knickers, just tights. After dinner my husband and I decided to go to the entertainment but first I needed the loo.  Having been to the loo we started to walk to the theatre and was nearly there when I got a tap on the shoulder and a women telling me I was exposing my bum.  My skirt had got caught in my tights - so I was exposing my bare bum encased just in tights...yuk.  I said to my husband please pinch me and tell me this is a bad dream. He told me in a gentle way it was for real.and I was not having a bad dream.  We can now laugh about it but I have to admit I still cringe and haven't worn that skirt since.  

TraceyA, wheels36 and Christine like this

We were on the Azura and had some gin and ice in our cabin. I phoned room service and ordered some tonics and lime to go with it. When the steward arrived I asked him to come in and put the tray on the table. I was oblivious to the fact that my partner was laid on top of the bed completely naked. The steward didn't know where to look. He left the room with his eyes glued on the door. Needless to say. my partner was very embarrassed.

We were on the Azura and had some gin and ice in our cabin. I phoned room service and ordered some tonics and lime to go with it. When the steward arrived I asked him to come in and put the tray on the table. I was oblivious to the fact that my partner was laid on top of the bed completely naked. The steward didn't know where to look. He left the room with his eyes glued on the door. Needless to say. my partner was very embarrassed.

Captain Kidd II and wheels36 like this

Does everyone remember to close the curtains when you are in an outside cabin and at sea?  Didn't know crew work outside the windows when at sea !

Since this thread has strayed into X rated territory I will add a non-cruise story.

Towards the end of a very difficult construction project I was in a meeting sat opposite a lady lawyer, who was there to comment on whether any decisions made crossed a legal line.

At the end of the meeting the Health and Safety Manager, a man who had minimal sense of humour and near to zero understanding of time management, gave his very "long winded" report. Everyone was getting really bored when "ears suddenly pricked up" when he reached a particular item.

The conversation went something like:

H & S Manager - "Incident number 18, building number 30, three contractors caught sunbathing nude at level 8, all three warned regarding failure to wear mandatory safety clothing".

The H&S Manager then moved on to the next item, but a wag at the end of the table pulled him back and asked if the three contractors had the sufficient rated factor of sun cream protection, at which point the lady lawyer was struggling to keep a straight face.

The H&S Manager unamused dismissed the question and again moved on, only to be pulled back again by the chairman of the meeting, who asked if all the signage to building number 30 had been in order.

The H&S Manager fearing a loaded question thought carefully for a few moments before guardedly answering that to his knowledge all the signage to the building in question and at that particular floor in question was in order.

The chairman came straight back with "Well was there an FKK sign or not", at which point the lady lawyer could contain her laughter no longer, her embarrassment compounded by the wag at the end of the table pointing out who was familiar with the term FKK.

On the Ventura, May 2014, a lovely, hot and sunny day, we had very early flights from Manchester... on the ship in Genoa around 11am.... explored the ship, had lunch, a few wines.. Our cabins became available so we quickly unpacked and got changed and went off to find a sunny spot... I put on a new tankini/ vest type top, and a pretty matching long sarong type skirt... Chatted to people in the lift...also at the bar getting a drink on the way to join the rest of the family... Sat down on sun lounger.. My cousin laughed... I had a sticker on my right boob saying 'tummy control' ... All week I was known as TC!!

MG16 and wheels36 like this

On our recent Christmas/New Year cruise on Britannia we had a table of six for Christmas/New Years dinner (we were freedom) so Christmas evening we sat down and two of our companions turned up we waited a while but the other two were no shows so our companions helped themselves to the hats, crackers and chocolates which were on the plates and we all went ahead and did our food and wine orders. The wine waiter came with my husbands and my wine (expensive) well it was Christmas and poured a small amount into my glass and my husbands then carried on and filled the two others glasses to the top giving us the little bit left and just walked away. To cap it all off the missing two people turned up after having misread the timings to find out they had no hats, crackers or chocolate which they were a little miffed about and voiced it and the other couple were dying of embarrassment as they were the culprits and they had our wine as well :D The wine waiter came back with their wine and asked if he should bother opening it as they still had wine in their glasses and did not seem bothered or worried about the fact it was our wine and he charged us for it. I was crying with laughter the other couple wanted the ground to open up and swallow them at this point, but what a great ice breaker it was worth every penny.