Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RiverSong

Thomson To Return To UK

15 posts in this topic

As companies are releasing their programs for 2017, Thomson Cruises have plans to re-introduce a ship to the UK with departures from Newcastle.  Not a lot of information at the moment but Thomson Celebration will offer 10 new itineraries, from four to 14 nights visiting ports in the Norwegian Fjords, Scandinavia and the Baltics. 

Thomson really seem to be pushing their Cruise program with a big campaign on social media as well under #NotForMe.

I did a couple of cruises with Thompsons  way back and I enjoyed their itineraries ,  Newcastle is limited  and a hell of a way for Passengers in the South to travel at least Southampton was halfway   to them good luck to them is it true that they are purchasing the RCI Splendour of the Seas? I  used to like those reasonably sized RCI ships and sailed quite a lot on them in the early days.CG

RiverSong likes this

I did a couple of cruises with Thompsons way back and I enjoyed their itineraries , Newcastle is limited and a hell of a way for Passengers in the South to travel at least Southampton was halfway to them good luck to them is it true that they are purchasing the RCI Splendour of the Seas? I used to like those reasonably sized RCI ships and sailed quite a lot on them in the early days.CG

Hi CG, I'm new to the forum and saw your reply.

Like you I do like Thomson itineraries they do seem to get into some of the quainter places these new larger ship can't navigate.

Regarding Splendour of the seas, yes Thomson takes the ship quite soon and are planning to rebrand it before they start sailing in June, I myself will be sailing on what will then be the Discovery in August.

Celebration from Newcastle sounds good to me, and for the Northern cruise Community.

HLM.

I think the itineraries are good with thomson they are a smaller ship but they are more relaxed onboard in reagards to dining and dress wear. i do think they was missing a gap but now doing the uk this will appeal more to some passengers

Splendour of the Seas  starts sailing under the name Thomson Discovery this summer. It will be interesting to see how it differentiates from Royal Caribbean. Many people don't realise that Thomson Cruises are part of TUI Cruises which in turn is jointly owned by Royal Caribbean International and TUI AG.

Splendour of the Seas  starts sailing under the name Thomson Discovery this summer. It will be interesting to see how it differentiates from Royal Caribbean. Many people don't realise that Thomson Cruises are part of TUI Cruises which in turn is jointly owned by Royal Caribbean International and TUI AG.

wow RCI have fingers in all the pies dont they!

very good news for the north another cruising opportunity but as previously noted its just a little too far for those in the southern regions

Good to see other ports being used in the UK, as Wheels comments working out of Newcastle reduced the long sea days to Norway and could mean more ports of call in a shorter itinerary. Also good for those in the North as sometimes the drive to Southampton & Dover can be a little tedious

Carolyn likes this

I did a couple of cruises with Thompsons  way back and I enjoyed their itineraries ,  Newcastle is limited  and a hell of a way for Passengers in the South to travel at least Southampton was halfway   to them good luck to them is it true that they are purchasing the RCI Splendour of the Seas? I  used to like those reasonably sized RCI ships and sailed quite a lot on them in the early days.CG

Hi  I fail to see the problem about Newcastle being too far North for Southern passengers to travel.  It's no further than most cruise lines expect potential passengers from the North of England/Scotland to travel to Southampton.  Is it a case of everything must be based in the South of the country and the hell with the rest of the citizens.

Carolyn likes this

Aside from the itineraries, I think Thomson's #NotForMe marketing approach is brilliant. They're effectively tapping into what Ocean Village used to do with their "Cruises for people who don't do cruises" advertising message and it's very clever. There are still so many people who see cruising as not for them yet when they've given it chance turn out to love it. Thomson have caught on well here and they're style of cruising is perfect for that message from what I perceive. 

I sailed on the Thomson Celebration a few years back as my 'first ever cruise' but since sailing with P&O / Royal Caribbean I wouldn't go back!

I can't compare with RC, but for me Thomson are far superior in all departments than P&O other than the age of the ships.

I personally found the crew on P&O surly and in some cases damn right rude, food I thought very basic like shepherds pie!!!!!, entertainment mediocre, better ships though and far better than the Thomson older fleet.

Could I ask what it was that made you decide not to go back to Thomson?

HLM.

Land Ahoy and Carolyn like this

been on a couple of cruises with them. would be a good idea to cater for us in the south. Maybe southampton,dover or harwich would be easier to get to