Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oldworldtraveller

Which mobile provider is best for overseas charges!

11 posts in this topic

What has prompted this thread, simple. I am with O2 and have been for a number of years. I have a 'bolt on' called O2 Travel as I spend a great deal of time overseas. This allowed me in Europe to make and receive calls at 50p each and gave me an hours talk time. Text's 5p to send free to receive and data at £1.99 as day. The latter however I never use as wi-fi is usually available. 

Yesterday I received an email informing me that from the 7th April there would be a data charge of £1.99 per day including calls, texts and all data. I spoke with O2 and confirmed that even if I only sent one text that would incur the daily charge of £1.99. I have now opted out of this. 

Who are you with and is it cheaper.

Great question OWT, not sure of the best answer on this one, I know 3 offers DATA ROAMING in quite a few Euro countries and some of them also offer bundles for use abroad. Maybe one of our forum members works for a phone company and can enlighten us further.

A lot of people certainly forget to active the abroad part of their contract and this can mean quite hefty call costs.

What has prompted this thread, simple. I am with O2 and have been for a number of years. I have a 'bolt on' called O2 Travel as I spend a great deal of time overseas. This allowed me in Europe to make and receive calls at 50p each and gave me an hours talk time. Text's 5p to send free to receive and data at £1.99 as day. The latter however I never use as wi-fi is usually available. 

Yesterday I received an email informing me that from the 7th April there would be a data charge of £1.99 per day including calls, texts and all data. I spoke with O2 and confirmed that even if I only sent one text that would incur the daily charge of £1.99. I have now opted out of this. 

Who are you with and is it cheaper.

Hi OWT.

I was with O2 till last December when I migrated to BT.

I used to use the O2 system on odd occasions but generally either purchase a ship's package for when out of range or use Wifi when staying in Hotels abroad.

On my recent cruise in Myanmar I picked up an amazing local deal.

Bought locally a Sim which had 500 Mb data and 17 hours talk time pre loaded all for 4,500 Myanmar Kyats.

25210710179_9627ae5d96_z.jpg

What's more it didn't matter where we were along the river, even in the remotest parts I could get online.

Come on you mathematicians, is that good value?  biggrin.png biggrin.png

It certainly beat Fred Olsen's prices if rumour is to be believed.

That sounds like a very good deal. When in Egypt and Bulgaria I have phones with local SIM cards for those countries. It is when in France, Spain, Greece etc. that I am looking for a network that is better value than O2.

As for Fred Olsen, I was at their launch this week and asked about wi-fi costs and was told they haven't been finalised yet but will be competitive with other cruise lines. I will wait and see. 

As an update to this thread. Having taken off the 'O2 Travel' bolt on and reverted to the system of pay as you go for overseas I have now learned that with O2 if I phone an O2 phone in Europe I do so free of charge to both parties and if I phone from Europe to the UK it just comes off my calls package. It therefore seems that to have come off the 'Bolt On' is a win, win situation.

sammy sun likes this

EE now have in most of their contracts free texts and calls to any other number in Europe

That's good to hear as I am currently considering switching to EE when my contract expires later this year.

EE now have in most of their contracts free texts and calls to any other number in Europe

I have this within my contract with EE, I have never been over charged or come home to a terrible bill