Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeithnRita

Zika and the Caribbean?

10 posts in this topic

What's your opinion, is the Zika virus going to have an impact on Caribbean cruises now and the near future? I just booked another Caribbean cruise for April 26, 2016. The small ship I booked, the ms Maasdam, still had quite a few staterooms available. It was at a very nice discounted price. Our online documents had a goverment fact sheet warning about the virus. We sure have been getting a rash of offers from the cruise lines on cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean.

From what we read it should not be of much concern unless you are pregnant or want to get pregnant.

In our local area here in the Lower Ohio River Valley we have the West Nile Virus which is also carried by Mosquitoes.  It's been here for a few years now and they have been found and sprayed for within just 5 miles from where we live. The symptoms seem to be about the same. We have 2 or 3 folks hospitalized with the virus in our town every year.

wheels36 likes this

I don't think it is that big of a deal unless, like you have said, you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant. I have heard of passenger's cancelling cruises which I think is ridiculous as the government claims the symptoms are mild.

KeithnRita likes this

It seems to be getting a little out of hand as everyone panics, if everyone takes the right steps as always advised then it shouldnt be an issue

Sounds like you guys are ready for a European cruise.

We are ready, but are they ready for us!LOL 

Maybe 2017

wheels36 likes this

Although at the moment they are advising pregnant females or females who are planning to become pregnant about the risk I think the possible link to Guillain Barre syndrome will be more of a worrying possibility should the link be found to be fact, the evidence is just strong at the moment.

It is OK to laugh it off now and tell people not to panic and they will be fine if they take precautions but there is no fact that Deet products are 100% effective.

This would not put me off going to the Caribbean but I will try to ensure I follow advice as and when it comes out.

I agree, I would always follow the advice and take the necessary precautions. I too followed the news regarding the potential link with Guillain Barre Syndrome and having suffered from this in 2010 and still struggling with the after effects of it to this day, it's an awful illness so I hope the strong linking evidence proves to be incorrect.

Totally agree with you Jaczs & Sammy the possible link of Zika to Guilain Barre Syndrome should not be taken lightly , it is a dreadful illness for those that suffer from it !