Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Guest Solent Richard

One for your 'Bucket List'

26 posts in this topic

If you are a keen river cruiser an love adventure then the cruise my wife and i have just returned from is the one for you.

We travelled to Myanmar, formerly Burma, and cruised the 597 mile stretch of the Irrawaddy ( often referred to as 'The Road to Mandalay') between Mandalay and Yangon (formerly Rangoon)

24716535649_d2a5e63727_z.jpg

Our cruise ship was the brand new Princess Panhwar which is operated by APT Travelmarvel and for this journey we opted for one of the two Princess Suites (202)...

25057872816_3707d9292c_z.jpg

...which was amazing with its panoramic views. 

There were just 68 passengers on board looked after by 41 crew, all but one being Burmese. The friendliest crew we have ever sailed with.

The Captain even shared his 'tea leaf salad' with Solent Richard...

25578497165_49ce5788a5_z.jpg

Due to the length of the river and the number of days on the cruise we had plenty of time between stops, there were 16 in all,  to leisurely cruise along the Irrawaddy and take in the life on what is Burma's lifeblood...

Seen here the confluence between the Irrawaddy and Chindwin Rivers...

25529042462_fcc6b3ff79_z.jpg

I had three favourite stops. Mandalay, Yangon and the most amazing Buddhist archeological site at Bagan.

Here I took the only APT optional tour, an early morning 'Sunrise' Balloon flight...

24991460373_193ca5d1c6_z.jpg

25618322185_325a9d2cca_z.jpg

24987818594_10dbe22d31_z.jpg

Furby, Popsicle, nick1310 and 1 other like this

that answers my question from the other thread, looks like an amazing trip what was the highlight for you??

Having visited Yangon myself I loved the place & the people and my 3 days didnt seem long enough

Fantastic pictures!! Really pleased I read this thread...I'm going with APT on the Bordeaux river cruise July - really looking forward to it...would love to do this river cruise though.  My Grandad fought in the Burma war and he's always telling me stories of the road to Mandalay, I hope to visit the place he loved one day.

that answers my question from the other thread, looks like an amazing trip what was the highlight for you??

Having visited Yangon myself I loved the place & the people and my 3 days didnt seem long enough

Good morning Chef.

I know what you mean.

Yangon, aka Rangoon, is one of those amazing places in the Far East that simply fascinate me.

The Burmese have such an interesting philosophy on life and that, coupled with it's colonial background, probably placed it at the top of my list.

And so many religions tolerated and practiced quite openly...

Buddhist

25645256765_c02ed6f6fe_z.jpg

Hindu

25018812103_5c8f8ec33f_z.jpg

Christian

25277484119_92714e71fa_z.jpg

and Islam

25277544919_810d166876_z.jpg

And all within half an hours walking distance in Yangon.

wheels36 and Popsicle like this

What wonderful photos. I am very interest in this cruise but my husband is not too keen on flying now but once he sees your photos he might change his mind.

Looks like you had a fab trip Richard! Would love to be able to visit Myanmar one day in the future. The views and photos from your Sunrise Balloon flight look amazing.

Fantastic pictures!! Really pleased I read this thread...I'm going with APT on the Bordeaux river cruise July - really looking forward to it...would love to do this river cruise though.  My Grandad fought in the Burma war and he's always telling me stories of the road to Mandalay, I hope to visit the place he loved one day.

Good morning Honey.

Well done your Grandad.

We had some free time on our first day in Yangon so my wife and I took a taxi ride 21 miles outside the city to the British War cemetery at Taukkyan

25619311726_cbd6cb6ed3_z.jpg

25619304766_4e742c419e_z.jpg

25349624000_80063909ba_z.jpg

The cemetery contains some 6,374 war graves, 867 of them unidentified.

Popsicle likes this

You cant but be mesmerised by the Shwedagon Pagoda, it is really a breathtaking site, and the huge precious stone at the top of the main building can even be seen through a long camera lense or binoculars. I had to admire the workers out there in the heat of the day either climbing the bamboo scaffolding(that would certainly fail health & safety over here) or concreting in bare feet.

What a trip!! how was the tea salad looks...different laugh.png

If I was honest I'd say 'not really to my taste'. 

However, it is a firm favourite with the Myanmar people and though described as 'pickled' the process does involve some 'fermentation'.

25578497165_49ce5788a5_z.jpg

The Cruise Director assured me it was the Captain's favourite.

Have to agree the tea leaf salad looks rather different, not sure if I would be inclined to taste, but good on you for giving it a try Richard.

Another cemetery looked after by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. They do a fantastic job all over the world.

Yes. With my military background I always make a point of paying my respects when there is a Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery within travel distance...

25349624000_80063909ba_z.jpg

The fallen paid a high price for our freedom and we should continue to remember them.

HLM likes this