Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Land Ahoy

Will Cruise Lines Avoid Belgium?

13 posts in this topic

Hi  My thoughts are with those who were caught up with the terrible events in Brussels.   Do you think some cruise lines will suspend port calls to Belgium in response to the these terrorist attacks?  I have always looked forward to visiting Brugge and would still be happy to visit this scenic city but would you prefer avoid this country?

I have read elsewhere that Britannia was due to call there on Saturday and P&O have now cancelled this.

Like you Land Ahoy we have always loved visiting Bruges and were there in December shortly after the last attacks, for the first time ever we decided we would not venture into Bruges and as we had never looked around Blankenburg we decided on that, many businesses were closed and from what others told us it was the same in Bruges so it isn't so much about avoiding these places more about the Country itself going into lock down but in answer to your question yes at the current time I would prefer to avoid this country but then saying that where is safe these days sad.png

Many forum members will remember the IRA troubles  over the years with the Bombings  in London and other cities in the UK, etc although a few were put off  A lot of tourists still visited.

Interestingly our Foreign Office  states  

see

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium for full details

Summary

Still current at: 23 March 2016 Updated: 22 March 2016 Latest update:

Following explosions at Brussels airport and Maalbeek metro station in Brussels on 22 March, police operations are ongoing and transport and the mobile network may be subject to disruption. You are advised to remain vigilant and follow the instructions of the Belgian authorities

Personally I think the cruise lines will still sail to Antwerp and the other Belgium ports. The big problem is that if cruise lines pulled out of every country where there have been problems where would they go as the list of 'trouble' spots is huge.  Tunisia, Egypt, France, Belgium plus other countries that have had terrorist or extremist incidents over the years including London.

Land Ahoy and loz6 like this

We were delayed a couple of hours in Hamburg this week, while the Captain apparently checked on the safety of Amsterdam the next port of call. One Fred Olsen regular said that he expected the ship to have gone straight back to Southampton, as "Fred" is not usually known for bravery.

We have been looking at a mini-cruise but, after what has happened no way are we going to Belgium. We also wanted to do a cruise down the Nile but that is out as well. No where is 100% safe but there is no sense in heading for known hot spots.

Hopefully with the great news this morning that Belgium Police have arrested one of the major culprits this will give a little confidence in travelling, it would be such a shame as the Belgium people from my own experiences are so friendly

The only hange we have had, so far, on our next cruise is moving the Belgium stay from the first day to the last. This was due to berthing in Stockholm. Woukd have preferred Bruges on day 1 but at least we are still going.