Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Oldworldtraveller

Message to Admin

31 posts in this topic

Good afternoon Admin.

This post is not here to undermine your authority or to cause controversy but a point of view that you may wish to consider.

I saw earlier today a thread posted on the Forum relating to Solent Richard and his demise from the Forum. This has since been removed. I can understand to an extent why you removed it but with hindsight, that wonderful thing we all wish we suffered from, was that a good move? Without taking sides, SR posted some excellent posts with equally excellent photographs and will be missed by some of the members. Is it not right and proper that those members should be able to express that view without having those views deleted. This is after all a Forum where views differ, they always will, we all come from different walks of life, have different experiences and different expectations. In this country we also have 'Freedom of Speech' which should always be allowed as long as it does not bring harm or distress to another. I have no idea why SR was banned and in all honesty don't want to but just wonder if a spell of 'Gardening Leave' may not have been more appropriate. 

This is a members Forum and you as Admin have an absolute responsibility to protect the members but also to look to the future, food for thought.

As always just my opinion.

MG16, hturtle, Falmouthgirl and 2 others like this

OWT. I have not logged in, or posted here for some time because I was persistently harassed and distressed by Solent. He called me, and others, liars, as well as other forms of denigration, something to which you were never subjected and of which you have no experience. Every attempt I made asking him to cease were ignored. I do not know the circumstances of his banning but trust that Admin felt justified in taking this action. I am disappointed that you appear to place more importance on reviews and photographs more than how some individuals were not afforded the same courtesy extended to you.

TraceyA, LadyG, Land Ahoy and 2 others like this

I would hope there is a warning system, similar to football. If this is the case SR will have been warned about conduct on the forum and this, I am also sure, was ignored. Like many I will miss some of his photos but will not miss the attitude that the forum was all about him.

sinbad10 likes this

OWT. I have not logged in, or posted here for some time because I was persistently harassed and distressed by Solent. He called me, and others, liars, as well as other forms of denigration, something to which you were never subjected and of which you have no experience. Every attempt I made asking him to cease were ignored. I do not know the circumstances of his banning but trust that Admin felt justified in taking this action. I am disappointed that you appear to place more importance on reviews and photographs more than how some individuals were not afforded the same courtesy extended to you.

Hello Fudge, as a new member of the forum I have to agree with OWT regarding the photographs and experiences posted by SR, I personally thought they were excellent.

That aside it appears there were two sides to him, and if as you say you were subjected to harassment and derogative comments, that is obviously totally unacceptable.

I trust the administration wouldn't have taken this decision without great thought, therefore as I said on the previous thread we have to accept it and move on.

Can I just say welcome back and I hope you can now post freely and without fear.

HLM.

Captain Kidd II likes this

Hi   I have no major issues with Solent Richard. although like Fudge he did accuse me of lying over my cruise history.  I didn't pursue this further and so I didn't get any more feedback.  Although some of his photographs were of interest many were too self indulgent who is interested in seeing him with a drink at bar or showing a photograph of a menu etc  these in my opinion were just a waste of time.  However, I do hope that in time he will be allowed to post again on the forum but he must show restraint in criticising those who disagree him and accept we all have different opinions.

Captain Kidd II and TraceyA like this

Fudge, on 23 Mar 2016 - 3:58 PM, said:

Hi Fudge,

I worded my post very carefully and said "in this country we also have 'Freedom of Speech' which should always be allowed as long as it does not bring harm or distress to another". ​I do not condone harassment of any kind and I make that very clear to everyone reading this post. I am sorry you are disappointed but I think you have taken my post out of context which is easily done if you feel you have been the subject of attack. I do not place more importance on reviews and photographs than how some individuals who were not afforded the same courtesy extended to myself and, that is not what the post says. The point of the post was that some, who enjoyed the postings of SR put forward a point of view/question which admin removed, and it was the removal that I questioned. I also mentioned 'Gardening Leave' as I have no idea what the banning was for or if there were previous warnings in existence.

A genuine welcome back and I for one look forward to reading your cruising posts.

Regards, OWT.

Good afternoon Admin.

This post is not here to undermine your authority or to cause controversy but a point of view that you may wish to consider.

I saw earlier today a thread posted on the Forum relating to Solent Richard and his demise from the Forum. This has since been removed. I can understand to an extent why you removed it but with hindsight, that wonderful thing we all wish we suffered from, was that a good move? Without taking sides, SR posted some excellent posts with equally excellent photographs and will be missed by some of the members. Is it not right and proper that those members should be able to express that view without having those views deleted. This is after all a Forum where views differ, they always will, we all come from different walks of life, have different experiences and different expectations. In this country we also have 'Freedom of Speech' which should always be allowed as long as it does not bring harm or distress to another. I have no idea why SR was banned and in all honesty don't want to but just wonder if a spell of 'Gardening Leave' may not have been more appropriate. 

This is a members Forum and you as Admin have an absolute responsibility to protect the members but also to look to the future, food for thought.

As always just my opinion.

Can we expect a similar thread to be started in support of  SueSpud OWT as no-one seems to have realised she has also been removed even though as far as I'm aware she has not done anything wrong.

I hear what you are saying and it can't be denied that SR has made some excellent contributions to this forum however there is a much darker side to him that many on this forum have not yet seen and hopefully they won't see, unless you have been on the receiving end of this vile man you have no idea of what he is capable of or how he will harass, abuse and stalk you.

All credit to you for remaining a friend however he does not deserve the loyalty of such a nice man.

I have kept out of any controversy on this forum but when I read posts like this it makes my blood boil SR is not the nice person some think he is he is evil and preys on women with his nastiness and uses his blog to ridicule nice people whose only sin is at some time they have disagreed with his opinion .. wake up OWT you are being used !!

TraceyA likes this

Hi Dancing Queen,

My post was not meant to stir up feelings amongst members, far be it from me any such intention and it had nothing to do with loyalty. I think my reply to Fudge explains that. I didn't know that Sue-Spud had been banned, however in view of what several of you have said I will not post any further as I have no wish to become embroiled in controversy, there's enough of that in the real world.  My original post said 'Without taking sides' and I meant it, I don't take sides so I will take a spell of self imposed 'Gardening Leave'. 

Regards,

OWT

TraceyA likes this

Please don't feel you should take gardening leave it is always a pleasure to read your contributions OWT unfortunately your post has stirred up feelings especially from those of us who have been on the receiving end.

I meant what I said you are a very nice man and such loyalty towards this man is not deserved.

HLM, TraceyA and Fudge like this

Firstly, there was banter between individuals but what I and others experienced was not banter. I must conclude that comments made by the now banned members yesterday (?) violated assumed issued warnings thereby resulting in a ban. I echo Dancing Queen's remarks towards OWT - and I for one do not feel that any amount of photos and reviews excuses the abuse he directed at those he chose to abuse without a care fir the membership. He thought that his photos reviews and experience made him untouchable.. He questioned my integrity, spoilt my use and enjoyment of this forum and that is indefensible in my book.

TraceyA likes this

Surely we are all allowed differing views and freedom of speech and I for one having been on the receiving end of SR's manners in the past I for one think that this forum would be better without him. Secondly I would be very upset to see OWT take gardening leave and hope he has second thoughts.

TraceyA and Fudge like this

Wow, from what I've just seen Solent Richard is certainly a controversial individual, I'm not going to elaborate to much but I think on reflection this forum is better off without him.

I've just read a certain blog and I'm mortified at the personal attacks he makes within it, not just against individuals but other cruise forums too.

HLM.

TraceyA likes this

I don't think people understand what it is like to be targeted, stalked, vilified and denigrated by someone hellbent on a crusade. One hears and reads so much about internet trolls but here we had one in our midst. All people cared about were the pics and reviews, it wasn't happening to them, so they didn't care. Everyone should have cared about what they were witnessing. I admit that arguing on here about what has been and written on that blog and elsewhere wasn't right, but the fact is that if he had been censured at the outset it would not have continued ad nauseam. It is human nature to defend oneself but some members telling those defending themselves against yet another snipe to let it go whilst not taking him to task was wrong. I would rather they had denounced and condemned him - he who created the problem in the further place. He made good sport out of his chosen targets without conscience or fear of consequences and I am glad that he has gone.

Land Ahoy, sinbad10 and HLM like this

I don't think people understand what it is like to be targeted, stalked, vilified and denigrated by someone hellbent on a crusade. One hears and reads so much about internet trolls but here we had one in our midst. All people cared about were the pics and reviews, it wasn't happening to them, so they didn't care. Everyone should have cared about what they were witnessing. I admit that arguing on here about what has been and written on that blog and elsewhere wasn't right, but the fact is that if he had been censured at the outset it would not have continued ad nauseam. It is human nature to defend oneself but some members telling those defending themselves against yet another snipe to let it go whilst not taking him to task was wrong. I would rather they had denounced and condemned him - he who created the problem in the further place. He made good sport out of his chosen targets without conscience or fear of consequences and I am glad that he has gone.

Hi   I too was targeted by SR but I didn't rise to the bait and so he turned to others including yourself to ridicule their views. I agree he took differences in opinions too far and unnecessarily vilified member's on the forum just for the sake of it.  Having read your views on this topic I have changed my mind, I originally said that I hoped  he would return if he modified his behaviour, but I now think that he should be prevented from using this forum again.  Furthermore, I hope his actions hasn't inhibited you from adding your honestly held views on this site.

HLM and TraceyA like this

Hello Fudge, after reading 'that blog' it would appear that he's been banned from more than one forum therefore he is hopefully running out of places to post.

I have to admit to being taken in by his photographs and reviews, but not having any previous knowledge I wouldn't of known.

At least now he's been removed from this forum, you can post freely without fear of abuse.

HLM.

TraceyA likes this

Hi Dancing Queen,

My post was not meant to stir up feelings amongst members, far be it from me any such intention and it had nothing to do with loyalty. I think my reply to Fudge explains that. I didn't know that Sue-Spud had been banned, however in view of what several of you have said I will not post any further as I have no wish to become embroiled in controversy, there's enough of that in the real world.  My original post said 'Without taking sides' and I meant it, I don't take sides so I will take a spell of self imposed 'Gardening Leave'. 

Regards,

OWT

Hi OWT, please carry on posting, we have met and you know that I appreciate your honesty, you are a voice of reason and as I said when we met I agree with a most of your observations, which are common sense.As Paul says the thing about common sense is it not very common.

pennbank and TraceyA like this

I am shocked that a group of adults can say they have been 'attacked and abused', I don't believe in internet trolls because everyone chooses to log into the forum and read the posts. If you don't like what you see go onto another post, or another forum, or close down the computer! I don't know how people can have such strong feelings about what someone you don't know has typed onto a keyboard. There are real problems in this world and don't understand why people get so heated about words on a screen.

loz6, hturtle, wheels36 and 2 others like this

I am shocked that a group of adults can say they have been 'attacked and abused', I don't believe in internet trolls because everyone chooses to log into the forum and read the posts. If you don't like what you see go onto another post, or another forum, or close down the computer! I don't know how people can have such strong feelings about what someone you don't know has typed onto a keyboard. There are real problems in this world and don't understand why people get so heated about words on a screen.

I totally agree.

SR is now banned along with a few other members as far as I can see so, can we now please 'Let it go!"

MG16 likes this

That's your view but why should anyone have to not log on or leave a forum because someone cannot and will not cease the vendetta they are carrying out against their chosen targets? He would have carried on his vendetta forever on this forum but he will have been asked to stop but he clearly refused to comply. Your attitude is not dealing with the source! Why should anyone scuttle away in the face of unacceptable behaviour? Eliminate the source and you eliminate the problem. It's a shame it didn't happen sooner.

HLM and TraceyA like this

I totally agree.

SR is now banned along with a few other members as far as I can see so, can we now please 'Let it go!"

I would be interested to know if you ever asked him to 'let it go' ? The OP posted a view about a banned member and other members have posted their views.

He continued to behave thus because he was allowed to. I am disillusioned with Admin because he wasn't banned for persistently mounting his skewed vendettas but because he did not obey the request to cease.

TraceyA likes this