Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danny

Dress

6 posts in this topic

We are looking to go on a cruise for the first time but I do not want to have to dress up. I have dressed up for most of my life and do not want to do so in my retirement. I agree with smart but not any other. My question is, which are the best cruise line that are less formal.

Depending on what you want to spend Danny, some choices would be NCL, Celebrity(who have just changed to smart casual) Azamara and possibly Princess/Roayal Caribbean who both being American dont tend to dress up as much. Hope this choice helps

Hi Danny,

We have just done our first cruise on P&O Oriana. At that time (late Feb early March) they still had three dress codes, formal, smart jacket and shirt and smart casual. This was a right pain for packing for my husband. They have now got rid of the jacket and shirt option. So if you can stand to wear a tux for a couple of nights and polo shirts for the rest you could consider P&O. However if you don't mind taking your life in your hands in the buffet to eat and don't mind being excluded from certain bars on formal nights you can be smart casual all the time. We saw quite a few people do this. Also they often have one of the formal nights as a 'black and white' theme. The trouble I went through to find a suitable evening dress in black and white was very annoying especially when on the night there were women galore in rainbow colours!

When it comes to the ladies some have a very loose definition of the word formal, I saw a lady in a jumper and trousers, I also saw a lady in a bright orange huge ball gown complete with what was getting on for a foot tall tiara (I kid you not!!)

I wouldn't worry too much about the clothes the important thing is to choose the right itinerary on a ship that suits your style of holiday.

Happy hunting!

GiGi

ncl is probably your  best for casual or like cruise chef says rcci and the american ships tend to be less formal. it does also depend on the destinations eg caribbean tends to be more relaxed.