Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bolsover Cruise Club

MSC Cruises Announce Major Investment Into Four New Liquid Natural Gas Powered Ships

10 posts in this topic

MSC Cruises has confirmed that an agreement has been reached for the construction of up to four new ships by 2026. The four new ships will be Liquified Natural Gas powered ships. The first ship is set for delivery in 2022 and will be a minimum of 200,000 gross tons with a passenger occupancy of approximately 5,400 and will be part of a group known as “World Class”.

To find out why MSC Chairman believes these ships will be “unlike anything that currently exists in the cruise industry” read the full story here.

The new announcement forms part of an incredible 11 ship expansion for MSC Cruises over a 12 year period. Is it too much? What do you think?

Hi I would assume that MSC will use many of the new vessels in the developing cruise market in the far East. Also (at least in the short term) they may use them to visit Cuba from the USA as I imagine could be a very popular destination initially. 

Hi I would assume that MSC will use many of the new vessels in the developing cruise market in the far East. Also (at least in the short term) they may use them to visit Cuba from the USA as I imagine could be a very popular destination initially. 

You may well be right Land Ahoy. It hasn't been confirmed as to where the new ships will be deployed as of yet but it is rumoured that MSC are looking to expand further into North America, China and the UK. We'll keep forum members up to date with the latest news as it unfolds.

I wonder if for each new ship they will get rid of an old one? if not they are adding a lot of cabins to sell

Interesting point Furby, I'd imagine by 2026 their then older ships will be sold off to other cruise lines, someone like Thomson/TUI for instance.

If not as you say that's a lot of extra cabins to sell.

HLM.

You have to assume that they have done their homework on LNG powered ships, but personally would be hesitant on safety concerns.

For me the cruise lines have not got a good enough maintenance record to be making this step, which will be dependant on cool storage systems.

You have to assume that they have done their homework on LNG powered ships, but personally would be hesitant on safety concerns.

For me the cruise lines have not got a good enough maintenance record to be making this step, which will be dependant on cool storage systems.

My first thought was safety too wheels. I would be a little apprehensive about it but as you say, I'm sure they have done they're due diligence when it comes to planning and preparation. I had a look into it, mainly just out of curiosity and see that Rolls Royce are currently  provide of LNG engines for ships. They state that they're engines are safe because of the double walled stainless steel pipe that is used to lead the gas from the combustion chamber. Vessel engines are purposefully designed by them with double walled containment including the tanks, pipes and engine itself. They then operate a state of the art system to detect and contain leaks between the inner and outer barriers.

Rolls Royce claim that LNG engines are equally as safe as diesel powered alternatives. I remain a little apprehensive about the idea but I cannot claim to have anywhere near the knowledge needed to make an assessment. My apprehension is simply down to an on the surface perception.

wheels36 likes this

My first thought was safety too wheels. I would be a little apprehensive about it but as you say, I'm sure they have done they're due diligence when it comes to planning and preparation. I had a look into it, mainly just out of curiosity and see that Rolls Royce are currently  provide of LNG engines for ships. They state that they're engines are safe because of the double walled stainless steel pipe that is used to lead the gas from the combustion chamber. Vessel engines are purposefully designed by them with double walled containment including the tanks, pipes and engine itself. They then operate a state of the art system to detect and contain leaks between the inner and outer barriers.

Rolls Royce claim that LNG engines are equally as safe as diesel powered alternatives. I remain a little apprehensive about the idea but I cannot claim to have anywhere near the knowledge needed to make an assessment. My apprehension is simply down to an on the surface perception.

It's not the design issues that would concern me but maintenance. If the maintenance check systems are not well managed, then at some point someone forgets to tighten a few bolts and you have a leak.

It's not the design issues that would concern me but maintenance. If the maintenance check systems are not well managed, then at some point someone forgets to tighten a few bolts and you have a leak.

I take your point wheels and understand where you're coming from. As I said, I would be apprehensive too and it would concern me. Nevertheless, you would think as you say, that they would have their preparations in order and will have a set plan for maintenance to make sure such events do not occur. 

wheels36 likes this

I take your point wheels and understand where you're coming from. As I said, I would be apprehensive too and it would concern me. Nevertheless, you would think as you say, that they would have their preparations in order and will have a set plan for maintenance to make sure such events do not occur. 

I think that a lot of people thought that BP had the leaks covered as well.