Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wheels36

Britannia refit?

62 posts in this topic

Rumours circulating that Britannia is going for an early refit are probably not true, but when it does what would you change? 

For me it would be ripping out the atrium and making a dance floor.

It wont be going in for a refit after only 12 months its just the rumour mill amongst P&O regulars working overdrive. IMO the atrium is the best part of the ship just to sit there drink a coffee and people watch and the Crystal room is big enough for dancing.

Put in a Prom deck!

I don't believe that a ship that is only just a year old would need a refit unless they have made a bodge job of it in the first place.

I don't think that there is much argument that it's a bodge.

It wont be going in for a refit after only 12 months its just the rumour mill amongst P&O regulars working overdrive. IMO the atrium is the best part of the ship just to sit there drink a coffee and people watch and the Crystal room is big enough for dancing.

The Crystal Room is a postage stamp relative to the number of people on board.

I suppose that the soft chairs in the atrium sets the tone of an indolent holiday, when of course you should be dancing. 

I heard this rumour when i was onboard in December I dont think there is anything to it just people saying they are going to put a central staircase in.

What makes me laugh is that the Solstice class of Celebrity and both regal and royal Princess have no central staircase, but there are no dramas for those ships.

Us Brits need to moan don't we.

i also heard it was that they were having stair put in the middle of the ship too so think thats correct, again due to people moaning mellow.png

I heard this rumour when i was onboard in December I dont think there is anything to it just people saying they are going to put a central staircase in.

What makes me laugh is that the Solstice class of Celebrity and both regal and royal Princess have no central staircase, but there are no dramas for those ships.

Us Brits need to moan don't we.

Exactly AFC. Could not agree more. The Solstice Class receives rave reviews yet they lack both a central staircase and a full wrap around promenade deck. It just goes to prove the point further that no cruise is for everyone. We all like what we like and that's why it's nice to have so much choice.

AFC04/03 likes this

what would solve the problem is if people dont like Brtiannia then dont go on it! laugh.png then no one will have anything to moan about, what is the problem with having a ship that is a little diffreent to every other ship out there! if they were all the same with the same old atrium and same old prom deck then cruising its self would be boring!

ron and SouthYorks like this

Brits that cruise with P&O have always liked to moan. I have done all maiden cruises on all P&O ships and there have been moans Aurora moaned about static from new carpets the moaners said they should rip up all carpets and put "proper" carpets in. On Arcadia a lot moaned because it was not initially built to be a P&O at design stage it was to be Holland & America ship and then passed on to Cunard to be new QV but they didn't want it so it became Arcadia and lots moaned that the Americans i.e. Carnival were treating Brits like second class citizens dumping unwanted cruise ships on them. Ventura/Azura numerous complaints about ships being too big and same on Britannia if they are too big why book a cruise on them. We sat in atrium having a coffee on only 2nd day of maiden cruise and 2 elderly ladies sat down at the table and got out a ream of papers and asked us what we thought about the ship. We said we thought she was very nice and somewhat disappointed they said they had made a list of "complaints" they were going to send to P&O. There biggest moan was about size of Britannia and I said politely well you knew the size of the ship when you booked so if its too big why did you book it. A stoney silence was then followed by them picking up there papers of complaints and walked away. The best part was when the waiter asked them if they wanted a drink and the reply was no we don't spend money on a cruise if we want a drink we will go to buffet where it is free. We through choice don't cruise with P&O anymore mainly because of the moaning by a lot of people about anything and everything. We now prefer to cruise with Cunard/Princess because of the mixture of nationalities and the attitude to enjoy there holiday and not moan throughout so it makes it a lot more pleasurable cruise experience.

The Crystal Room is a postage stamp relative to the number of people on board.

I suppose that the soft chairs in the atrium sets the tone of an indolent holiday, when of course you should be dancing. 

Not everyone likes to dance and some like to sit in the atrium and have a coffee. Its horses for courses and you can never please all of the people all of the time. Britannia tries to please the majority with the choices throughout the ship which I think it does very well. Nothing is perfect and again my opinion only think that the atrium is the best part of Britannia.

sammy sun likes this

Not everyone likes to dance and some like to sit in the atrium and have a coffee. Its horses for courses and you can never please all of the people all of the time. Britannia tries to please the majority with the choices throughout the ship which I think it does very well. Nothing is perfect and again my opinion only think that the atrium is the best part of Britannia.

You can look at it another way in that as P&O have continued to reduce the relative size of the dance floors, many people have chosen to book elsewhere.

We decided that way when there were so many people trying to participate in the dance class on Azura that it was becoming unsafe, and there were others who felt the same way. If the company had openly decided to go down a non dance route then you could say "it's their jobs on the line", but installing the tiny floors and still trying to take dance revenue through "strictly cruises" sort of advertises a company that does not really know where it is going.

tata likes this

I think they know where they're going wheels. As it's been said, they clearly designed Britannia to cater for a wide audience. They could like you say have eradicated the dance elements to Britannia completely but then why would they when people where clearly going to want to sail on Britannia but not want to miss out on Strictly Cruises, especially if they have enjoyed them in the past. Strictly seems to have been a successful addition to P&O's cruise calendar so they were never going to leave these theme cruises off Britannia but instead spread them around the fleet. 

I take your point and your opinion, of course you're entitled to it, as everyone is, I just disagree. You're of the opinion that P&O do not know where they are going. Fortunately for you, you do. You like larger dance spaces and can therefore choose to travel aboard ships that offer that now having experienced Britannia. Many people would love to try Britannia and you've had the pleasure to do so (or lack of) when it comes to dancing space. Might I suggest a focus on the parts you did enjoy from time to time rather than just the negative, which I think we'll all agree we've had enough of of late..

boomboomtime likes this

You can look at it another way in that as P&O have continued to reduce the relative size of the dance floors, many people have chosen to book elsewhere.

We decided that way when there were so many people trying to participate in the dance class on Azura that it was becoming unsafe, and there were others who felt the same way. If the company had openly decided to go down a non dance route then you could say "it's their jobs on the line", but installing the tiny floors and still trying to take dance revenue through "strictly cruises" sort of advertises a company that does not really know where it is going.

When has P&O continued to reduce the size of the dance floors. As far as I am aware the Crystal Room on Britannia is the first dedicated and largest dance floor that I have known since Aurora in 2000. Yes Oriana has a dedicated room for dancing but its no bigger than on Britannia and on the 2 cruises I have sailed on Oriana the room was always hardly used for dancing.

When has P&O continued to reduce the size of the dance floors. As far as I am aware the Crystal Room on Britannia is the first dedicated and largest dance floor that I have known since Aurora in 2000. Yes Oriana has a dedicated room for dancing but its no bigger than on Britannia and on the 2 cruises I have sailed on Oriana the room was always hardly used for dancing.

Loved the dance floors on Oriana.

P&O have kindly supplied the sizes and it does not make good reading.

http://www.pocruises.com/advicecentre/

So the Crystal Room floor at 55 square metres (12.17 x 4.5) is less than half the size of Oriana's second biggest floor, despite Britannia carrying many more passengers.

Not good.

tata likes this

Agree with you Sinbad, we Brits will always find something to moan about (& we are good at it!), if its not cruising and the dancefloor size it would probably be something else like the lack of litter bins etc. It starts at the top with our politicians who are past masters as the art of moaning and something that we tend to introduce to kids at a very early age.

You look at other countries, some that dont have 2 brass coins to rub together and they are far happier.

ron and boomboomtime like this

Loved the dance floors on Oriana.

P&O have kindly supplied the sizes and it does not make good reading.

http://www.pocruises.com/advicecentre/

So the Crystal Room floor at 55 square metres (12.17 x 4.5) is less than half the size of Oriana's second biggest floor, despite Britannia carrying many more passengers.

Not good.

Hardly continuing to reduce the size of dance floors when you quote Oriana which was built in 1995 and Britannia 2015 when every other new build has not had a dedicated dance floor/room like The Crystal Room and Harlequins on Oriana built into any P&O ship in between . Azura  dance floor at the bottom of the atrium was an afterthought and not really adequate for dancing due to size.

Can't believe that it would be going in for a refit already? Britannia only a year old and i think the other ships are normally every 5 years. They need to refit a few of the other ships first in my opinion!

Loved the Britannia went on her last year.

boomboomtime likes this

i'm confused is it having a refit or not? i haven't been on Britannia yet but i'm keen to see what all the fuss is about, i guess i better make it soon if it's going to be changed already.