Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wheels36

Drinks Packages.

16 posts in this topic

We have decided that we are not purchasing any more drinks packages, as we always seem to drink more than intended.

Although the foremost medical advice is do not drink at all, the practical advice for looking after your liver seems to be to have two dry days per week.

Cruise lines clearly not on that wavelength yet.

Good to see that you have come out of hibernation Terminator.

The forum was missing the one liners.

Not much of a kip.....I posted yesterday.

Maybe you were asleep?

15 all..your serve..

Terminator likes this

We have decided that we are not purchasing any more drinks packages, as we always seem to drink more than intended.

Although the foremost medical advice is do not drink at all, the practical advice for looking after your liver seems to be to have two dry days per week.

Cruise lines clearly not on that wavelength yet.

Hi wheels36,

One of the reasons we upgrade from the standard drinks packages is to be able to access sparkling, rather than still, bottled water. I will freely admit, however, that it is not the only reason.

At home, I try to give myself a couple of alcohol free days per week but, on holiday......no chance. May well shorten life but I find it helps me enjoy what I have.

Cheers,

DavidH

sammy sun, WAVES and wheels36 like this

I'm with you David H, if you cant enjoy yourself on holiday then you might as well not go!! I've been doing alternate dry months so far this year and will continue with this for the rest of the year, fortunately all my holidays are on even months so I can drinkrolleyes.gif

DavidH likes this

We've just had our first cruise and did consider the drinks package. We're glad we didn't go with it as we found it would have restricted our choices. We found a very nice Pinotage that after trying a couple of other reds we tended to stick with. I think you need to try the wines before you can commit to buying them for the duration of your holiday.

Also, we thought the prices were very reasonable so the small saving on the package wasn't a big deal.

GiGi

Just been to Ireland on Fred Olsen Balmoral with a £10 per day drinks package. Suited us fine - no 'dry'days when on holiday. Reasonable standard of 'house' wine and all drinks not included in the package are 1/2 price.

Shame P&O don't do something similar

Land Ahoy likes this

Just been to Ireland on Fred Olsen Balmoral with a £10 per day drinks package. Suited us fine - no 'dry'days when on holiday. Reasonable standard of 'house' wine and all drinks not included in the package are 1/2 price.

Shame P&O don't do something similar

I agree with you on this Arthur. I'm surprised that P&O are yet to introduce something equivalent, especially when rivals such as Royal Caribbean are doing just that. 

For £10 a day my normal consumption is worth it. With a G &T before dinner and a Brandy at bed time with a specialty coffee after dinner is my normal. If it is hot weather I might have a shandy, a glass of tonic  or drink of fruit juice instead of water at lunch time on deck.  My last two back to back cruises (5 weeks) I had about 20 days when I had 1 glass of wine at dinner. This total consumption would have cost me far more at home or on ship, without being excessive.

I have seen some good deals with NCL and they say you can choose the "ultimate beverage package"

Does anyone know if this is a good package as I don't want to get on board and find out most drinks are more that the $15 limit.

Thanks

Hi PPcat0404, I believe it to be a very good Package, This is what it includes:-

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

I have been on other American Cruise Liners before and have paid for a drinks package, and this would be classed as a higher class of drinks package on others, so it is a good package, well worth choosing.

Hi wheels36,

One of the reasons we upgrade from the standard drinks packages is to be able to access sparkling, rather than still, bottled water. I will freely admit, however, that it is not the only reason.

At home, I try to give myself a couple of alcohol free days per week but, on holiday......no chance. May well shorten life but I find it helps me enjoy what I have.

Cheers,

DavidH

Same for me David, but determined not to purchase any more drinks packages.

A month on from last cruise and it's still going to take another week to get back to pre-cruise weight.

DavidH likes this

I have a friend who doesnt drink, saying that he is still happy as his last package gave him unlimited soft drinks together with teas, coffees & icecreams and he still said it was worth it for him