Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RiverSong

Would You pay For Travel Brochures?

40 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but cruise brochures seem to be getting harder to get hold off each year, with agents keep their limited supplies out of reach to all but a select few.  I’m happy to look on line if I have to, but for the initial enquiry it’s so much easier being able to sit down with a book work out what we want to do.  I hate waiting for a computer or tablet to buffer, downloading pages.

So how would you feel about being charged a small fee for a brochure?   

No, I would never pay for a brochure. I always look on line when searching for a cruise. By the time most brochures drop on the mat, I have seen what is on offer via the internet or email alerts from the cruise lines and/or TAs.

That said, when on a recent Fred Olsen cruise, their latest brochure 'went live' and the future cruise crew member did a presentation on what was on offer.

Problem was, some of the ports of call for Boudicca in the 'latest' brochure had not been finalised.

RiverSong likes this

Definitely not…. The amount of profit that tour operators make and the cut backs that they have already made to save money if they want my custom they can send me a brochure….It is far better to flick through a book to see where you fancy going rather than having to scroll down a screen, its also more relaxing in my view.

RiverSong likes this

Never pay for a brochure and prefer browsing a cruise brochure than the internet. Perhaps if more read the back pages of brochures instead of the glossy pictures at the front they would know what they are booking and have less to complain about if things weren't what they expected through their ignorance.

RiverSong and HLM like this

The price of the brochure is part of the holiday cost so .. No to any payment. If a company wants my business then they have to provide the booklets as well as tickets and labels

RiverSong likes this

What a silly and preposterous idea. Whatever next?

Frankly, we receive too many brochures from agents, especially at this time of year regarding early bookings and all that stuff!!!

Never pay for a brochure and prefer browsing a cruise brochure than the internet. Perhaps if more read the back pages of brochures instead of the glossy pictures at the front they would know what they are booking and have less to complain about if things weren't what they expected through their ignorance.

My thoughts exactly Sinbad.

The only thing I ignore in the brochure are the prices, they're are always way off what I end up paying!!!

HLM.

RiverSong likes this

I like to look online first and see what other offers are out there and do a little bit of research, but I do like to have a brochure to hand as it's always nice to have a hard copy to glance through but I wouldn't like to pay for a brochure.

RiverSong likes this

No definitely not, that would be like paying for an Argos or Screwfix catologue, the brochure is a sales tool to entice you into buying to provide you with the information you need

RiverSong likes this

Some excellent points being raised and all valid, but you may be surprise at how many people do pay for catalogues like Marks & Spencer home, I can remember having to pay £3.00 for the Next Directory.  Also it could discourage people just picking them up for the sake of it and the waste that produces?

Definately wouldnt pay for a brochure, we would then be paying them to advertise!

You dont pay to go into a clothes shop and look a top, its the same thing to look before you buy surely!

I think this would be a non starter. If agents/cruise-lines started doing this, I think it would alienate a lot of passengers, which is evident on this thread alone. Personally I'm happy to peruse online. I do like looking at a brochure and often enjoy it when looking for a holiday but I can get all I need online so it's not a necessity for me. If charges came in place, I would never purchase one and I think a lot of people would feel the same.

Following on from this great question, I'd also like to ask forum members WOULD YOU PAY MORE FOR YOUR CRUISE??

We regularly on the forum have gripes & moan about the decline in standards/ less staff and or a reduction in benefits onboard, but would we all pay more to see the standards return??

Following on from this great question, I'd also like to ask forum members WOULD YOU PAY MORE FOR YOUR CRUISE??

We regularly on the forum have gripes & moan about the decline in standards/ less staff and or a reduction in benefits onboard, but would we all pay more to see the standards return??

Now that is a good question cruise chef. Personally I find the standards on most of my cruises more than acceptable so yes I would be a bit disappointed if prices were to rise as I'm sure a lot of people would.

Have to agree charging for cruise brochures would certainly alienate passengers and with so much more being readily available on the internet, I know that I'd personally prefer to look online than pay for the brochure. RiverSong does raise a valid point about the number of people who do pay for the Next Directory.

100% no as I don't see the need for it. Having just posted again in another thread on booking online, I think most brochures will become e-brochures within time with paper copies being taken out of the equation.

I personally wouldn't pay for travel brochures- if there are not any in stock I would just wait or look online seen as that gives you the same information.

Would never pay for a travel brochure, however i do love to sit and read a brochure and get inspiration, I have also noticed that Travel Agents do seem to get fewer brochures nowadays, and everything is going more online. Suppose nothing can be done apart from go with the change. Will be missed if this happens.

Must admit wouldnt pay for a travel brochure rather look on line than pay. I always find more up to date information on line as brochure information can change