Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mimosa

Hurtigruten launches children’s programme

10 posts in this topic

It looks like Hurtigruten is looking to attract more families to the line, with the launch of a new children’s programme on three of its ships.

The Norway-based line has traditionally been associated with catering more for adults – children are welcome on board, but the line has no specific facilities, and most children tend to be with local Norwegian families travelling from port to port. This could be set to change with the introduction of a Young Explorer programme.

Three ships will be given their own explorer host, who will simplify what the expedition team do for seven to 13-year-olds.

This would not be a form of “kids’ club”, whereby parents drop off their children, as often happens with other cruise lines.

Parents won’t be dropping the children off; they’ll be doing it with them. They don’t have many kids now, but if they have the programme, they can attract them.

The new initiative will be launched in 2017, and will be offered on the line’s millennium-class ships, 

The focus would be on nature, wildlife and culture. The line currently offers 70 excursions to passengers, those that were considered appropriate for the Young Explorer programme would be identified with a symbol in brochures.

They won’t be offering hikes, but they will have things such as beach clean-ups

This does sound really good, I've often looked at Hurtigruten as they visit some beautiful, sometimes hard to reach, places. But I've always been put off as nothing to do for the kids.  This sounds like they are trying to get them involved in the cruising & conservation of the area

It looks like Hurtigruten is looking to attract more families to the line, with the launch of a new children’s programme on three of its ships.

I think this will be a great move for Hurtigruten and really help attract more families to the cruise line. Hurtigruten are known for their expedition cruises and with most of the destinations the cruise line visits being once-in-a-lifetime experiences, it will be great for parents to now feel confident to bring their children on board without the worry of them getting bored. Getting the kids involveed with nature, wildlife and culture will definitely make them feel like Young Explorers!

I know my kids would love it!  Such a good holiday for families to be involved with the kids.  I hate seeing these parents that chuck the kids in the kids club ALL day & don't spend anytime as a family.  In my youth I spent time running such kids clubs & sometimes the kids just don't want to be there.  Its just a way for the parents to get some time alone.  For me a family holiday is just that...family time...Off to tell hubby about Hurtigruten now!cool.png

i think this is a reallly good idea as i would never have throught to take children on board however what an amazing experience for the young one to learn and enjoy and with the parents. i would be interested to learn more however im not 100% about Hurtigruten as i dont know much about them. 

I think this is a wonderful idea. I would love to take my grandchildren on a Hurtigruten cruise, they're at a great age where they love exploring and not yet addicted to big 'games rooms / computer hubs' offered on newer cruise liners, so to experience a cruise such as this would be an incredible and educational opportunity for them. 

This is a fantastic move from Hurtigruten! This new Young Explorer programme will help get the kids outdoors and exploring in the fresh air instead of being stuck inside in a games room all day - definitely think more cruise lines should take note from this and introduce something similar.

Whilst I don't mean to take the shine off this and I do think it's a good idea, I just can't see a large percentage of 7-13 year olds being overly pleased with the idea of cleaning up a beach when in reality cleaning up their room is probably a hard enough task to achieve as it is. I think it's brilliant that Hurtigruten are offering something like this and it's a great USP for families. I just think they'll need to work very hard to pull families away from larger ships with more diverse facilities on board for kids. Obviously the itineraries will be a big attraction but I think the pull for families will be a niche market to start with. 

Good luck to them and I hope it does work because it's a fantastic scheme to introduce.