Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

sinbad10

P&O increase gratuities.

154 posts in this topic

Cheapest always the best sorry to say but had better service on both Cunard/Princess and the fact that they charge is more than a coincidence think its a case of you get what you pay for.

Wouldnt sway me to book P&O or to stay cruising with them because of cheaper gratuities. When people pay sometimes thousands of pounds for a 14nt holiday saving approx £70 on gratuities comparing P&O with say Princess/Cunard isn't a lot.

HLM and Land Ahoy like this

Is this really goid value? The subject has been discussed on other threads but when does a tip stop being a tip? £147 for a 14day cruiseis starting to push it when you do not decide who has given a service worth it. I know it sounds stange but I would rather have £150 added to the price of the cruise and then not have all this tipping to make you feel guilty. Good service should be properly paid for and not dependent on the whim of the passengers.

DavidH, sinbad10, HLM and 1 other like this

Hi

Is this really goid value? The subject has been discussed on other threads but when does a tip stop being a tip? £147 for a 14day cruiseis starting to push it when you do not decide who has given a service worth it. I know it sounds stange but I would rather have £150 added to the price of the cruise and then not have all this tipping to make you feel guilty. Good service should be properly paid for and not dependent on the whim of the passengers.

HI  I believe that all cruise lines should add the tips into the boarding fare.  I may suspect that part of the increase may be due to significant number of passengers not paying the suggested tips to the hard working crew.  A case of those who pay the tips having to donate even more because of a few passengers who expect the staff to work for nothing.

Captain Kidd II and DavidH like this

Hi

HI  I believe that all cruise lines should add the tips into the boarding fare.  I may suspect that part of the increase may be due to significant number of passengers not paying the suggested tips to the hard working crew.  A case of those who pay the tips having to donate even more because of a few passengers who expect the staff to work for nothing.

Totally agree I also suspect it is due to increasing numbers of passengers removing gratuities .....

It would be interesting to see how much the overall gratutity received by the ship is against the wages bill paid by the shipping company. I have a feeling the gratuties could be the larger figure in which case it is not a tip.

spanish girl likes this

Hi

I very much doubt anyone expects the crew to work for nothing, however what I personally expect after paying a significant sum for the cruise is for the company to pay the crew a decent living wage, and not rely on me to boost their income.

I have in the past removed my gratuities (not often), because I felt that overall service areas where not up to scratch, especially when sailing as a family of four that equates to around £300 extra for below par service, did I feel guilty not on your nelly, and I made it quite clear why they were removed.

So if as you indicate P&O are upping their gratuities because of the so called non payers, then they perhaps need to up their service quality to justify it first.

HLM.

JH327, Summerhill and nick1310 like this

Totally agree I also suspect it is due to increasing numbers of passengers removing gratuities .....

The question should be why are passengers removing the gratuities?

In my case it was poor service areas, but I suspect the main reason is after paying the initial cruise fare and in the current financial situation people are reluctant to pay an additional £150pp (14nts) when they don't need to.

I can only see two ways to resolve it, scrap the gratuities altogether and add it the the headline price, or do as Costa do, make them compulsory and remove the opt out option.

HLM.

I very much doubt anyone expects the crew to work for nothing, however what I personally expect after paying a significant sum for the cruise is for the company to pay the crew a decent living wage, and not rely on me to boost their income.

I have in the past removed my gratuities (not often), because I felt that overall service areas where not up to scratch, especially when sailing as a family of four that equates to around £300 extra for below par service, did I feel guilty not on your nelly, and I made it quite clear why they were removed.

So if as you indicate P&O are upping their gratuities because of the so called non payers, then they perhaps need to up their service quality to justify it first.

HLM.

Hi  I don't know what basic salary of the wait staff is on P&O.   However, an investigation by an American TY company a few years ago found that the daily wage of wait staff on NCL was $1, they rely totally on tips for their pay.  I doubt whether P&O have such low levels but the staff do need the top up to reward their hard work.  I have noticed that the level of service is higher on cruise lines which incorporate tips into the boarding.  This includes mainstream lines, (Thomson) as well as the upper end of the market.  It could be that the staff do become dissatisfied with working hard and then not being rewarded by passengers removing the tips and so they less inclined to go that extra mile.

Hi All,

Firstly, let me say that I totally respect the right of those who feel that they must remove the automatic tipping charge because, in their view, service levels have been unacceptably low.

However, now approaching somewhere towards our 20th cruise, spread across some 7 different cruise lines, my wife and I have never felt the need to take such action. I suspect that, for many who do remove automatic tips, it is for penny pinching reasons rather than a genuine complaint about service standards. Just my opinion, of course, formed in discussion with friends and acquaintances.

May I also say that I much prefer the policy of those lines who include tips in the basic pricing. Our next trip, in just over a week's time (yippee!!!), is with Celebrity with whom we always pre-pay gratuities in order to access their "Select Dining" concept.

DavidH

The question should be why are passengers removing the gratuities?

In my case it was poor service areas, but I suspect the main reason is after paying the initial cruise fare and in the current financial situation people are reluctant to pay an additional £150pp (14nts) when they don't need to.

I can only see two ways to resolve it, scrap the gratuities altogether and add it the the headline price, or do as Costa do, make them compulsory and remove the opt out option.

HLM.

Such a shame you experienced poor service ,I have always been very fortunate with the service levels onboard all the cruise lines I have sailed with and with over 20 years of sailing have never felt the need to withhold gratuities .

I like David H have sailed with many different cruise lines but over the years but P&O cruise prices have remained very competetive and I am now paying less for an equivalent cabin than I paid for over 10 years ago ......so I really don't mind paying the gratuities as they are still very

reasonable .

I do feel that the staff deserved to be tipped for all their hard work, but it is very difficult as to opt in or out - the face to face dining staff are amazing - but what about those behind the scenes? hmmm tricky

I do not mind the automatic tipping policy however I object to it being put on my account on day one when I have not received any service. I would prefer it put on near the end of the cruise when I can decide whether to decrease, pay the set amount or increase the tips. I cannot understand anyone not tipping and we have always done so. I have also asked the staff if they would prefer cash at the end of the cruise and although they are reluctant to answer this question when I have suggested I would prefer to give them cash they seem more than pleased.

I have only requested on P&O to remove my tips once but did nt do it because the cabin steward was awful and the waiters were very good. Reception told me you cannot remove part gratuity and specify it to go to waiters only, all would happen is cabin steward and waiters would all get reduced rate. The only option given to me was to make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which we did.

Tally likes this

I tend to leave them on so that everyone gets their fair share but I think it should be up to the individual to decide.

Hi  I don't know what basic salary of the wait staff is on P&O.   However, an investigation by an American TY company a few years ago found that the daily wage of wait staff on NCL was $1, they rely totally on tips for their pay.  I doubt whether P&O have such low levels but the staff do need the top up to reward their hard work.  I have noticed that the level of service is higher on cruise lines which incorporate tips into the boarding.  This includes mainstream lines, (Thomson) as well as the upper end of the market.  It could be that the staff do become dissatisfied with working hard and then not being rewarded by passengers removing the tips and so they less inclined to go that extra mile.

Maybe in your last sentence lies the problem, crew at all times should be on top of their game, why should they expect anyone who's experienced below par service to pay £150pp for that experience.

In my case two particular crew members were extremely rude and surly on more than one occasion, following a simple and reasonable request their behaviour forced my hand and I removed the gratuities.

I don't feel guilty, those two crew members were at fault not me.

HLM.

I have only requested on P&O to remove my tips once but did nt do it because the cabin steward was awful and the waiters were very good. Reception told me you cannot remove part gratuity and specify it to go to waiters only, all would happen is cabin steward and waiters would all get reduced rate. The only option given to me was to make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which we did.

Funnily enough Sinbad, my complaint was regarding the cabin stewards.

I made a simple request and asked if they could change the DIRTY, STAINED pillows on arrival, I was shot down by both stewards, who tried to tell me that just because their stained doesn't mean they are dirty, the Hotel manager made them change them, they were not even disciplined about their attitude.

Throughout the rest of the cruise, they didn't even acknowledge us, their behaviour ruined it for everyone else.

No way was I paying the best part of £300 for that.

HLM.

Such a shame you experienced poor service ,I have always been very fortunate with the service levels onboard all the cruise lines I have sailed with and with over 20 years of sailing have never felt the need to withhold gratuities .

I like David H have sailed with many different cruise lines but over the years but P&O cruise prices have remained very competetive and I am now paying less for an equivalent cabin than I paid for over 10 years ago ......so I really don't mind paying the gratuities as they are still very

reasonable .

Like you and many others I'll happily pay the gratuities, we all know they are there and accept that at the time of booking, but I'll equally remove them if I feel my expectations haven't been met.

I've only ever removed them twice in twenty or so cruises so it's not all bad.

HLM.

Funnily enough Sinbad, my complaint was regarding the cabin stewards.

I made a simple request and asked if they could change the DIRTY, STAINED pillows on arrival, I was shot down by both stewards, who tried to tell me that just because their stained doesn't mean they are dirty, the Hotel manager made them change them, they were not even disciplined about their attitude.

Throughout the rest of the cruise, they didn't even acknowledge us, their behaviour ruined it for everyone else.

No way was I paying the best part of £300 for that.

HLM.

My complaint about cabin steward was on Oriana he didn't particularly clean the cabin very well and ask for a few things throughout the cruise which he failed to deliver and then to cap it all when we come to get our suitcases from under the bed on last full sea day to pack we found dirty bed linen. For some unknown reason except to him when he changed the bed linen throughout the cruise he shoved all the dirty sheets and pillow cases under the bed for the whole cruise.