Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PerfectBlend

Viking Ocean Cruises

14 posts in this topic

I agree Sea Cruiser, they do look beautiful. The infinity pool looks very nice and the overall design looks very appealing.

I also agree the Viking ocean cruise ships look amazing. The infinity pool, explorers lounge and aquavit terrace all look very appealing. 

At the risk of taking the conversation slightly off topic, I am still surprised that they decided to branch out from river cruising having built such a successful river cruise brand. It seemed strange to see them move into the more expansive and heavily populated ocean market. They have however, produced some superb ships from what I've seen so good luck to them. 

Land Ahoy likes this

I am actually looking at doing a Viking Ocean Cruise myself Sea Cruiser so please share any information you have. 

Last week I looked at Viking Star for 2017 so a bit of a way off yet. Looked at the Empires of the Mediterranean itinerary in April. Like the look of the cruise and although i've visited some of the places before, might hopefully get some warm weather over there around then plus try out a new ship.

At the risk of taking the conversation slightly off topic, I am still surprised that they decided to branch out from river cruising having built such a successful river cruise brand. It seemed strange to see them move into the more expansive and heavily populated ocean market. They have however, produced some superb ships from what I've seen so good luck to them. 

Hi  I don't think Viking Ocean cruises are going into heavily populated market they are entering a niche segment in the cruise industry.  Their only direct competitors are Azamara and Oceania which were the only two cruise lines in the upper premium market.  As you said they are in the market leaders in the river cruising, although not he best (but extensive advertising does pays dividends).  I suspect they will anticipate many of their pervious passengers will book an ocean cruise with them.

Hi  I don't think Viking Ocean cruises are going into heavily populated market they are entering a niche segment in the cruise industry.  Their only direct competitors are Azamara and Oceania which were the only two cruise lines in the upper premium market.  As you said they are in the market leaders in the river cruising, although not he best (but extensive advertising does pays dividends).  I suspect they will anticipate many of their pervious passengers will book an ocean cruise with them.

I agree that advertising has paid dividends for them. Wherever you go you seem to see Viking at the moment including on a lot of TV channels. From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of other river cruise companies out there to choose from but I only ever seem to see Viking advertisements.

Hi Sammy Sam

I think the reason why so few river cruise companies target UK passengers is their reluctance to undertake fly cruises (that is if this site is representative of the cruise market).  I know that many companies will arrange rail travel by Eurostar to embark the ship but this probably isn't too popular as well.

Hi Sammy Sam

I think the reason why so few river cruise companies target UK passengers is their reluctance to undertake fly cruises (that is if this site is representative of the cruise market).  I know that many companies will arrange rail travel by Eurostar to embark the ship but this probably isn't too popular as well.

I'd agree with you on that Land Ahoy and I think it's a shame. I'm open to cruising from the UK or fly cruises, both appeal to me. 

Land Ahoy likes this

Cruising with Celebrity again in a few days but Viking are on my list. I will certainly be looking into them a bit more in the near future.