Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

hturtle

What is the difference between normal insurance and cruise cover?

17 posts in this topic

I am taking the family away for a quick cruise at the end of the month and have just remembered i need insurance.

When looking around at prices as soon as you tick "Cruise Cover" it adds £20 to the price, do i really need this, what is the difference. Would normal insurance not cover me if i really need to claim.

I know the "Cruise" insurance covers, missed ports or excursions but that wont really bother me on this cruise.

Its defintley worth getting the Cruise cover, it covers for things like missed departure ports, if your confined to your cabin due to a illness breakout and also any cruise that changes itinerary. Id check with your insurance provider that it covers this but i use Holiday extras which is recommend by bolsover

hope this helps smile.png

I agree. I will always tick the cruise cover box to make sure that I am covered for all eventualities. That may just be me being overly cautious. I've used Holiday Extras as well and found them reasonable.

I noticed the price jumps by that much aswell but as stated above I put it down to missed ports or illness ect...

I would always add cruise cover on just in case as would rather pay a bit extra than risk not having the right cover. As sammy sun says I used holiday extras and they were very competitive with others i got quotes from.

yes, if you have the cruise cover- they tend to then cover you for missed ports of calls (if the weather is too bad to get into port)- would definatly add this on

I am taking the family away for a quick cruise at the end of the month and have just remembered i need insurance.

When looking around at prices as soon as you tick "Cruise Cover" it adds £20 to the price, do i really need this, what is the difference. Would normal insurance not cover me if i really need to claim.

I know the "Cruise" insurance covers, missed ports or excursions but that wont really bother me on this cruise.

In short yes pay the extra, in the unlikely event of having to airlifted off the ship through illness your normal insurance rarely covers it, the average cost is around £10,000, or so it's was said when my daughter was in that situation with suspected appendicitis.

Fortunately it didn't come to that, but it turned out it was not covered with my normal holiday insurance, just like a lot of sporting activities, please read the small print you'll be surprised what isn't covered.

I would've had to cover the cost myself, ever since I've always had ample cover.

HLM.

I was under the impression that you should have insurance in place for when you're ready to book.  Say i book today and god forbid break a leg and can't go on my cruise next week,for instance,  i have no insurance at time of booking and they won't pay out if i buy insurance after the event. Clare

I was under the impression that you should have insurance in place for when you're ready to book.  Say i book today and god forbid break a leg and can't go on my cruise next week,for instance,  i have no insurance at time of booking and they won't pay out if i buy insurance after the event. Clare

I've always booked my holiday first and then purchased my insurance.

In short yes pay the extra, in the unlikely event of having to airlifted off the ship through illness your normal insurance rarely covers it, the average cost is around £10,000, or so it's was said when my daughter was in that situation with suspected appendicitis.

Fortunately it didn't come to that, but it turned out it was not covered with my normal holiday insurance, just like a lot of sporting activities, please read the small print you'll be surprised what isn't covered.

I would've had to cover the cost myself, ever since I've always had ample cover.

HLM.

I have been cruising since 1997 and done over 40 cruises and when taken out insurance always specifically asked if airlift from a cruise ship is included and they have all said that would be covered by medical emergency which in most, if not all, policies is in the millions of pounds.

yes if you take out insurance after you have broken your leg but if you book a cruise and then book insurance before you break your leg or any change in medical history then you would be covered.

I would watch the existimg medical issue as, if your history changes after you take out the insurance but before you travel, you need to tell your insurance company otherwise you may not be covered for any problem resulting from issue. I asked my insurers, Nationwide BS, about airlift and they confirmed it was covered.

I have been cruising since 1997 and done over 40 cruises and when taken out insurance always specifically asked if airlift from a cruise ship is included and they have all said that would be covered by medical emergency which in most, if not all, policies is in the millions of pounds.

In my case it wasn't covered, I assumed it was but when I read the small print emergency evacuation from a ship was not included, however all medical treatment was.

It did cover repatriation should the worst of happened, and a liability cover of £1million should I have caused an accident etc, this was an AXA one trip policy, I understand the same policy still exists.

Now my annual policy covers everything, but every year on renewal I always make sure it's the same.

HLM.

seawitch and Captain Kidd II like this

I would watch the existimg medical issue as, if your history changes after you take out the insurance but before you travel, you need to tell your insurance company otherwise you may not be covered for any problem resulting from issue. I asked my insurers, Nationwide BS, about airlift and they confirmed it was covered.

When we told nationwide that a medical condition had been diagnosed(insurance was in place and a holiday booked) they just withdrew cover. They did say they would pay for cancellation of the holiday if doctor deemed my husband unfit to travel. The doctor said he was fit to travel so we were left a month before traveling with no Insurance.

Seawitch - that is the problem with travel insurance. You do the right thing by declaring a diagnosis only to find the company is not prepated to provide cover for it. I suppose they did their bit by being prepared to cover cancellation as, at the time of booking, the problem was not known. I am sure it was fifgicult finding alternative cover at such a late time. The problem would have come if you needed to claim and you gound you were not covered.

Seawitch - that is the problem with travel insurance. You do the right thing by declaring a diagnosis only to find the company is not prepated to provide cover for it. I suppose they did their bit by being prepared to cover cancellation as, at the time of booking, the problem was not known. I am sure it was fifgicult finding alternative cover at such a late time. The problem would have come if you needed to claim and you gound you were not covered.

They would not pay out for cancellation as the doctor said he was fit to travel. They said they would payout if the doctor said he was unfit this was the bit that annoyed me because we couldn't cancel and get our money back so had to find another insurance company.

P&O booking condition 32 states that you must have adequate insurance to air lift you off.  Clare

In my case it wasn't covered, I assumed it was but when I read the small print emergency evacuation from a ship was not included, however all medical treatment was.

It did cover repatriation should the worst of happened, and a liability cover of £1million should I have caused an accident etc, this was an AXA one trip policy, I understand the same policy still exists.

Now my annual policy covers everything, but every year on renewal I always make sure it's the same.

HLM.

It is better to be safe than sorry, 81 years old, 69 cruises always renew annual cruise insurance when the previous year runs out. Have used Stay Sure for a number of years and dread when I am 85 and will not be able to have yearly cover. They were very good when my husband had cancer, as they covered him without extra charges as long as we agreed that we would not travel unless Consultant agreed it was suitable.