Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ann141

Supersize (Harmony of the Seas, Britannia etc) or traditional sized cruise ships

5 posts in this topic

Do  these new supersize ships mean a luxury holiday with more choices etc or are they simply floating Hotels, designed to make the cruise companies more money?

We are wondering whether to book a cruise next year on Britannia but usually sail on smaller ships. Advice welcomedsmile.png

Do  these new supersize ships mean a luxury holiday with more choices etc or are they simply floating Hotels, designed to make the cruise companies more money?

We are wondering whether to book a cruise next year on Britannia but usually sail on smaller ships. Advice welcomed:)

Hello Ann141, My personal preference would always be smaller more traditional ships, however that's probably down to age.

If these mega ships were around when my kids were still in their early teens I would've probably been sailing on them.

My view is that they are mega money making machines, but they are obviously very popular judging by the order books.

With regards to Britannia, surprisingly still some very mixed reviews at the moment and I suspect it hasn't quite lived up to P&O's expectations, that said if you can see a competitive price then go for it, you only live once.

HLM.

Hi  The choice between "traditional" cruise ships and the large floating resort vessels is all down to your personal preferences.  I consider good service and food to be very important and so I not longer sail with P&O.  The last time I sailed with them I thought the catering was provided by Gregg's the number of times pies which appeared on the menu particularly at lunch.   If you like P&O, I suppose the differences in the catering will be not that great so I expect it will be down to whether you wish to have a more imitate cruising experience on their smaller ships vessels or wish to have a large option of supplementary dining venues and all the extra activities.

Good morning ann. I would have to agree with Land Ahoy that everyone is different and we all have our personal preferences. I think it you're looking for greater diversity in dining options, bars and entertainment then these larger ships can be excellent. If you prefer a more intimate cruise experience as Land Ahoy mentioned then I do think stick to smaller ships. Modern day superliners offer some incredible entertainment choices and the restaurant variation is excellent but do not expect them to remember your name or your favourite drink, they are not that kind of ship, if you ideally enjoy this style of intimate service then small to mid ship cruising is probably the way forward. Of course others may disagree but this is just my opinion.

Like Land Ahoy and a few others have pointed out  it is all down to your personal preference. There have been some mixed reviews on Britannia, some love her, some hate her, but if you're unsure, do some research, look at her deck plans, see what she has to offer and what you'd be intrested in and go from there