Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ann141

Too quick to criticise, too slow to praise?

39 posts in this topic

We seem to be a nation of moaners and many of us start finding fault as soon as we board(bad embarkation system etc)

Has anyone got any good news stories whilst onboard? I was pleased that on our last cruise there was an auction and coffee morning to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Charity.It was well supported and particularly impressive for me was that a talented member of the cabin staff had donated some of his paintings for sale.

MG16, Falmouthgirl, WAVES and 5 others like this

Hi  You certainly have a point many people are quick to moan.  Like most I have had minor incidents during my cruising history but none have had any great impact on my overall cruise experience but some seem to let "small" inconviences affect their entire holiday, IMO they should just chill out a little and just accept that life isn't always prefect.

loz6, sammy sun and ann141 like this

The sad thing is this is nearly always the case in every aspect of life we criticise time and time again but don't praise as often. We are a bunch of moaners! tongue.png

Cheap drinks certainly help!!! On my first P and O cruise on the 2nd day I won a Spa voucher in the Raffle and that certainly helped put me in a good mood for the rest of the cruise. Good weather also seems to help people to stop moaning.Has anyone got any examples of little gestures on any cruise lines that help them less likely to moan?

I m setting off on Emerald Princess to the Baltic today and I shall certainly try to see the positives(the fact I can afford to go on cruises helps!)smile.png

Little gestures do indeed stick in the mind & put you in a good mood. We sailed on Oriana in June 2013 & although we never used the spa we had to walk past it a lot to go on deck as our cabin was directly underneath it & always said hello to the reception staff. We sailed on her again in April 2014 and as we boarded we were greeted by one of the salon ladies who welcomed us back on board. The fact that she remembered us made my day.

We booked a last minute bargain cruise for my birthday and decided that since it was an unbudgeted extra we would not spend too much on board. We went to a destination presentation where trivia questions were asked for prizes. Most of the prizes were discounts off shore excursions, but I answered the last one, and the prize was dinner for two in Ocean Liners. I said I was thrilled because it was my birthday, and the restaurant included a bottle of wine. My lucky day!

This is a great post ann141 and I couldn't agree with you more. We are so quick to criticise when really the majority of criticisms revolve around minor incidents as Land Ahoy said that are blown way out of proportion. I have had my own issues on board before but I deal with them and move on. Take the Britannia staircase scenario for example. The ship has received so many bad reviews because of it that most people forget to even mention the positives of their holiday. If the day comes when the lack of elevators in a specific area of a ship ruins my holiday I think it will be time for me to pack up cruising.

As for positive things. I remember my first cruise with my now wife. The first sailing we took together was in 2008 and she could not believe how good it was. On that cruise we had a cabin steward named Frank and he was unbelievable. I've never met a person as friendly. He took care of everything for us and at one point in the holiday, he spotted us coming down the corridor towards our cabin. He was talking to another steward in the distance but immediately stopped when he saw us and practically ran down the corridor to beat us to our door so that he could open it for us and hold the door. He was incredible but things like that never make the press because after all good news doesn't sell.

Great to hear positive news!! We are currently aboard Emerald Princess and had the fastest check in ever! I also have managed to win a raffle prize to eat in a speciality restaurant so feeling really positive. The only negative is the weather and can t blame Princess for that!!!Keep the positive experiences coming!!

Does the compensation culture encourage us to complain? I ask because yesterday we were due to dock in Stockholm but the Captain decided the previous evening that as it was windy we would be docking at a port 36 miles away(Whose name I can t spell!!).I was disappointed but accepted that  "Captain knows best'However my husband and I caught the train in to Stockholm and spent a lovely day there but felt slighty peeved that other similarly sized ships had docked there! There were a lot of disgruntled passengers and I felt tempted to complain once back on board but decided not to as I realised that the only reason I was going to complain was in the hope that Princess would refund my train fare.Do others think people are quick to complain in order to get compensation or would there not  be as many complaints if there was no chance of monetary gain?

I suppose it works both ways - some complain in the hope that they'll get compensation but if there was no chance on monetary gain the company might not try so hard in the first place.

I think for so many years we were a nation of people who would never complain and settled for anything then for some reason it has now gone completely the opposite and all you hear is what is not right rather than what it. Yes the compensation culture is a big part of this but also as we travel further afield we see most nations will not settle for second best and will voice what they expect and we are adopting this attitude.

I would rather compliment what is good than moan about what isn't.

nick1310 likes this

Personally, I have never made a complaint on a cruise ship, and I have never sent a meal back in a restaurant, any restaurant..

However, I would always defend anyone's right to complain no matter what other people may think about it.

On major cruise issues such as the "disappearing prom deck" a forum is the best way for the customer to make their opinions heard, yet very many people will not pass comment because they know that if they do someone will appear ridiculing them, and explaining why a prom deck is unnecessary. 

When you buy a new car the very many items that go together to make that car are chosen on a quality basis directly linked to the level of complaint, and this link to quality and complaint level applies to other businesses a well. The complaint therefore is an integral part of the business operating efficiently and competitively.

In the cruise industry the ship management are well able to deal with irrelevant complaints, and at a higher level the more serious issues discussed on forums is effectively free feedback for them.

When criticising "the complainer" people should try to look at the "bigger picture", because the "broad brush" attitude of many people on forums relative to complaints only ensures that the "baby goes out with the bathwater".

Complaints on cruises for me have been nil to date. I have however had a few moans to myself about the way I see others berating the staff often very nastily and loudly. Trouble is I'm not sure where to go and who to see to complain about fellow passengers. Usually I have 14+ days to just relax, if something isn't up to what I want then a pleasant word to those concerned or I just make an internal decision to not do that again, no worries.

Much better to compliment others for a job well done.

I find complaining comes more naturally than praising but it often depends on my mood, the weather etc! Sometimes I try to make a real effort to praise if praise is due and often it makes me feel better when I do, particularly if the recipient rewards me with a smile!

I think we are inclined to complain more than praise simply because we have expectations and if they are not met we are unhappy. On the other hand if they are met then that is what was expected and becomes the norm so no need to praise. Have only complained about one cruise line so to avoid complaining I avoid them.

HLM likes this

I've certainly had reason to complain once or twice about certain elements when cruising, but as long as it's constructive criticism it should be welcomed by the cruiseline, but that certainly doesn't make me a moaner, there is a very big difference between to two.

I certainly detest people who moan about anything for the sake if it.

As far as I'm concerned praise is generally given in the form of a gratuity, that should be ample enough.

HLM.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Our final on-board account on an Azamara cruise showed a small credit. We asked why and were told it was because the port charges weren't as much as anticipated, so we'd been refunded. It was only a small amount, but we valued the cruise line's honesty. 

Oldworldtraveller, Jaczs and HLM like this

I certainly agree with you hlm that constructive criticism is a good thing and praise as expressed by keeping on the gratuity is good but additional verbal praise doesn t cost anything and often  makes someones day. 

Wacktle I think little gestures like the one made by Azamara cruises certainly help and would.  make me feel like booking a future cruise with themWhen it was my birthday earlier this year I was shopping at Morrisons and after I had paid a voucher popped out saying Happy Birthday please choose some flowers to the value of 3 pounds( not a great cost to Morrisons but it certainly made my day!

HLM and sammy sun like this

Hi   I'm very British I don't complain.  However, if a product is below my expectations I certainly will not purchase another with that company.  I vote with my wallet and that includes cruises.

The thing is Land Ahoy if we don't complain and make them aware of a problem they don't get the chance to rectify it, so maybe a little unfair to walk away at that stage.

However if after the complaint they fail to put it right, I like you would then vote with my wallet.

HLM.

I agree that we need to make constructive criticism in order for things to change sometimes but I think sometimes people have unrealistic expectations.For instance on our cruise to the Canary Islands in February some people were moaning because they expected good weather as soon as we left Southampton!

I definately agree with constructive criticism but is it just me or do others agree that some people seem to actually enjoy moaning! Also I find that sometimes I don t feel like moaning about something onboard a cruise(food,embarkation etc)but when someone else starts moaning I find myself joining in even though it might have been a slight irritation previously which I had forgotten about)!

Moaning?  Irritation?   Impatience?   I think the three are part and parcel of our lives these days.   People don't seem to want to wait for anything - standing in a short queue in a supermarket for example, seems to bring out the worst in people.   Sitting in traffic for longer than 30 seconds seems to bring out the worst in people.   A driver in front of you on a road who isn't going as fast as you think they should be, brings out the worst in people.   If you're not served when you think it's your turn in a pub, seems to bring out the worst in people.   Some seem to lead such high paced lives these days that every slight thing brings on an irritation - more and more of us seem to live lives of continuous discontent.    This carries on - even into our holidays.

Personally I try very, very hard to be calm and cool and enjoy life - but daily that becomes harder and harder.   I drive home each night - a journey of over 20 miles.   I do three quarters of it and get into the countryside, where at this time of year I like to wind down for the last couple of miles and take in the scenery.   Am I allowed to - you bet I'm not.   I will usually have someone hanging on to my rear bumper, flashing their lights, someone who if they don't get home a minute earlier than you then their day will be ruined.   Such is life.

Just my opinion of course.

MG16 likes this