Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Falmouthgirl

What or who encouraged you to cruise?

20 posts in this topic

My husband used to be in the merchant navy, he sailed  with PO in the late 50's and sixties  and many more different companies which are long gone, he used to tell me about all the wonderful places he visited and  I was so green with envy and vowed to visit these place one day.

In my childhood the map was nearly all pink in those days I loved geography, capital cities, provinces of Canada, states in Australia, New Zealand and most fascinating was India and Ceylon in those days, [most of the names of these great cities have changes over time].

Living in Cornwall and in the first and last port  of Falmouth I was used to seeing all the ships coming in New Zealand Shipping company British Tankers, Esso and Shell  and many more, the wonderful clippers and tall ships the sea was already in my blood .

So you can imagine me listening to my husband's tales of the of the places PO took him the names of the ships, the Himalaya, the old Boats the Orontes,Strf ships such as Strafnaver  and Strafeden and  many more before finally   the Canberra before he became a landlubber.

My  husband sailed  around most of Australia and NZ, Aden [he would take the £10 poms out and then do a mini cruise before calling in at India and Pakistan and bringing them back to the UK he had some wonderful memories  which he shared with me 

.He also did the Canada nd US  South America and the Caribbean run on the Royal mail line such as the Escalante, Union Castle line and many more ports of calls during his time at sea.

He encouraged my love of Geography and anting to see the world, but it took  a big effort to get him to cruise as he was convinced he wouldn't like being a passenger, but convince him I did and I have now seen nearly as much of the world as he did and enjoyed it thoroughly although I still have a bucket list!

Who  or what encouraged you to cruise? did you have a love of geography?  or a husband who had sailed the seas who told you all the fascinating places he had seen ?  or were you just curious as to what cruising  had to offer. FG

What an interesting post. My reason for starting to cruise is not interesting at all but a matter of necessity if we wanted to visit different places. My husband was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer and was unable to fly so we decided to try cruising in 2008. We tried a short cruise to the Fjords and were hooked. We havn't travelled the world but have visited different continents and, fingers crossed, we will continue to cruise for a few more years yet.

Falmouthgirl likes this

As a child we always went on holiday in a caravan near Lowestoft so when at the age of 16 my school offered us the choice of 2 holidays I really wanted to go. One was to see the Passion Play & the other a cruise to the Mediterranean. The latter sounded so glamorous to me that I just had to go. My mother was a home bird who never left England & took some persuading to let me go. Eventually she agreed after I said I would pay for half of it & my dad paid the rest. It cost something like 12 times the cost of the caravan hire! Our bit of the ship was a dormitory for about 16 people under the water line but we were taken to see the 'proper' passengers once when we had a fancy dress parade & I was determined to sail again whenever I could. It took 28 years to do it but since then we've cruised many times & hopefully will do so many times in the future.

As a child we always went on holiday in a caravan near Lowestoft so when at the age of 16 my school offered us the choice of 2 holidays I really wanted to go. One was to see the Passion Play & the other a cruise to the Mediterranean. The latter sounded so glamorous to me that I just had to go. My mother was a home bird who never left England & took some persuading to let me go. Eventually she agreed after I said I would pay for half of it & my dad paid the rest. It cost something like 12 times the cost of the caravan hire! Our bit of the ship was a dormitory for about 16 people under the water line but we were taken to see the 'proper' passengers once when we had a fancy dress parade & I was determined to sail again whenever I could. It took 28 years to do it but since then we've cruised many times & hopefully will do so many times in the future.

[/quote

It was a school cruise that inadvertently started me cruising. I too desperately wanted to go, but my sister said 'no' as she couldn't go ( I must point out that my sister is 15 years older and raised me after my mother died when I was very young) I had to start work as soon as I could to support myself but all our spare cash went into a fund to save so we could go together, I was 18 when we had saved up enough for our first cruise and so proud of myself.

Furby, 2torts and Oldworldtraveller like this

A great post Falmouthgirl. I remember when I met you at a certain location being envious of the places you have sailed to.

My first time on a ship was in 1960 when I visited the New Zealand Shipping Co. ship Rangitane in the London Docks followed by a Union Castle liner the following year but they did not make me want to cruise.

It was the early 90's when we used to go away on holiday with another couple to land based resorts. One year they suggested we all went on a cruise to which my immediate reaction was, 'Living in a shoe box and mixing with the blue rinse brigade for 2 weeks, no way'. However my wife thought it a splendid idea and so early one summer evening we arrive on the dockside at Palma where I am almost dragged kicking and screaming aboard a ship called Thomson Sapphire. 2 weeks later they are having to use a crow bar to get me off, I was hooked. Our friends said the ship was not to their liking and 3 months later we boarded the Airtours ship, Carousel, I loved it and so my journey with cruising began. We began doing 2/3 cruises a year, one of which was often a Transatlantic with Airtours until 2003 when we tried Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Retirement arrived and because of certain things happening this increased to 7/9 a year. I still get excited when about to board a ship and long may this continue.

HLM, Falmouthgirl and Furby like this

What an interesting topic.

For me (this is going to sound just dreadful) but I saw the glamour and food and awesomeness of the Titanic (the bit before she sank) and that got me online as a teenager trying to find out if people still did that sort of thing.  I discovered that White Star Line finally ended up as Cunard and then decided that one day I'd love to try a Cunard ship.

I'd always been put off actually doing it because (1) I didn't have much money, and (2) I worried I'd be bored, claustrophobic, and probably all of the other reasons people are put off cruising.  Eventually some colleagues at the time had just returned from a P&O cruise and remarked what a wonderful time they had.  Not long after I booked out first mini-cruise on Queen Mary 2, and have been hooked on the idea since!

A great post Falmouthgirl. I remember when I met you at a certain location being envious of the places you have sailed to.

My first time on a ship was in 1960 when I visited the New Zealand Shipping Co. ship Rangitane in the London Docks followed by a Union Castle liner the following year but they did not make me want to cruise.

It was the early 90's when we used to go away on holiday with another couple to land based resorts. One year they suggested we all went on a cruise to which my immediate reaction was, 'Living in a shoe box and mixing with the blue rinse brigade for 2 weeks, no way'. However my wife thought it a splendid idea and so early one summer evening we arrive on the dockside at Palma where I am almost dragged kicking and screaming aboard a ship called Thomson Sapphire. 2 weeks later they are having to use a crow bar to get me off, I was hooked. Our friends said the ship was not to their liking and 3 months later we boarded the Airtours ship, Carousel, I loved it and so my journey with cruising began. We began doing 2/3 cruises a year, one of which was often a Transatlantic with Airtours until 2003 when we tried Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Retirement arrived and because of certain things happening this increased to 7/9 a year. I still get excited when about to board a ship and long may this continue.

Our first cruise was on the old Star Princess to Alaska in the early 90s.  Friends had cruised to Alaska and convinced us to try it, so since it was our silver wedding we took the plunge!  We loved it.

The second cruise was the following year on Thomson Sapphire in the Mediterranean.  We enjoyed the itinerary. but not the old dingy ship that held more smokers than we had thought possible, even though this was before smoking became so unacceptable.  It really soured us on British ships, so the following year we tried Royal Caribbean in the Caribbean.  This turned out to be a spring break cruise, and those two experiences combined to put us off cruising for twelve years.

For our 40th anniversary we wanted to go to Australia and New Zealand and looking at options we decided on a Celebrity cruise with time in Australia before the cruise and New Zealand after.  We were hooked and since then many of our holidays have been spent on cruises to interesting places with land tour included.

Sheila

I  was taken by my parents when on holiday in Bournemouth for a day trip to the docks at Southampton to see I think one of the old queens setting sail. It was so great and I vowed to do that some day. Now I've done it there is no going back.

This is a great post. I wish I had a more exciting tale to tell but I first sailed on a cruise during my childhood. A few members of my family decided to give it a go and came back having had their best holiday in years. They loved it so much and spent so much time telling us all of how fantastic it was that my parents decided to give it a try. My first cruise was with P&O in 1996. I remember loving it then and I still love it now. I had a break of around 10 years where I didn't cruise, partly down to money and also to education and work commitments but then I managed to convince my other half to give it a go again in 2007. We had a brilliant time and have never looked back. Since then we've done many cruises with a host of cruise lines and loved every single one of them. 

Hi  I my case I always wanted to try a cruise but thought that the fellow passengers would be "snobby" and I wouldn't "fit in".  Eventually I did decide I would take a cruise to the Med.  I found that I was wrong about the vast of passengers who were open and friendly and so my fears were allayed and enjoyed the experience.

Brilliant topic. For me it has always been our familiy holiday. It started though with my grandma and grandad going with thier dancing group, then introducing my mum and dad. It turned out to be perfect for my mum as she is petrified of flying. Then when us 3 kids came along it turned out to be the perfect family holiday too. I have now introduced my husband to it and it will probably continue to be one of our main holidays too.

My friends encouraged me to try it, so i did with my partner (now husband) and our 2 good friends, and it was amazing.

We went on Sea Princess around the Caribbean, from East Midlands, this then gave us the holiday bug, and have done several since, I have recently done a couple of land based holidays with the family, and i still would say you cant beat a cruise! just everything all under one roof, different places most days! different places to enjoy the sun if you stay on-board, aswell as all the different bars or places to just sit! And there is nothing better than being at sea, and seeing nothing but glorious sunshine over the horizon!

The company where I worked - everybody was fascinated with cruising. I had to give it a try to find out what all the fuss was about.

I can still remember the NZ shipping company Rnaga

Snap OWT, I remember the NZ refrigerated ships  [yellow funnels] laid up  in Falmouth docks , or in for repair the Rangitiri and the Rangitane , also the old Australian Federal refrigerated  ships red funnels with 4 white squares [if I remember correctly, [a bit more of  history there when  these ships came in bringing their lamb  ect.

I also sailed on he Thompsons Sapphire, and Emerald and the old Airtours ships , Carousel, Seawing , Sundream and  the Sunbird I had my first taste of the Caribbean on her, I also did quite a few transatlantic on  on RCI and my first Panana canal cruise from Southampton to San Diego on RCI  Radiancw [we loved the Radience class ships] also Celebrity   I think I have tried most of the lines in my time but find  PO suit me now  as we don't fly.. CG

I really enjoyed all of my cruises and all the far flung places I was able to visit

Oldworldtraveller likes this

My husband (then partner ) had tried for years to get me to cruise but I had always resisted as I felt that I would not enjoy the days when I could not leave the ship. Then the fateful year arrived when we both hit 60 and we decided that we did not want to have 2 birthday parties and so I reluctantly agreed to cruise- on one proviso- It had to be the Caribbean from Southampton and back. To my surprise my other half agreed. Pushing my luck I suggested that we should also take the opportunity to get married on board whilst away and to my delight he agreed!! We sailed on Aurora and P&O made our trip truly unforgettable and Captain Turnbull made our wedding really special. Having enjoyed the cruise so much I felt that we needed to try another just to make sure that we enjoyed the cruise and not just the wedding. Needless to say, it was the whole cruising experience that had won us over and we now do 2 a year and have already booked for 2016 and 2017.

Back in the 50's my aunt & uncle cruised extensively and always returned with wonderful stories of their travels .

As a child it made a great impression on me and left me determined to give it a try when I grew up.

My mother in law went on a cruise to the Fjords in Norway back in the 1930's and said to us that we must do it one day. When she died (at 93) she left us a small amount of money and we decided that we would do a fjords cruise in memory of her as a "one off". That was in 2006 and we are now looking at our 22nd cruise. Our first cruise for me was strange in a way, there was so much to photograph and video and I must have been enjoying it but it wasn't until I got home and put a DVD of the cruise together, sat and watched it over, that I thought to myself "That was a really brilliant holiday". Now totally hooked.