Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

seawitch

The Perfect Itinery

24 posts in this topic

When we first started cruising as a family we used to categorize some ports as 'perfect'. They had to be attractive, you didn't need to book a tour, if it is a small port you could travel up to 3 miles using local transport,and you would want to return. We then used to plan a 'perfect cruise' where you pick 5 or 6 of these ports close enough together to sail overnight. Our 'perfect cruise' 20 years ago was Valencia, Barcelona, Monaco, Santa Margarita , Ajaccio and Sidi Bou Said. Now I would choose Venice ,Hvar , Korcula, Kotor ,Santorini,and Rhodes. The change simply because we have visited most of the ports so many times. What would your 'perfect cruise' be.

kerry304 likes this

I'm not sure I have a perfect cruise... but I can tell you what I like from a port.

I love ports where you can walk off the ship and be right in the action.  I'll tolerate a short, free shuttle into the town centre.

Ports like Livorno for Rome etc. are just a pain as I don't tend to want to sit for hours on a bus to get to the action.

The Fjords are great for this.  You dock in the action, and you can see a large percentage of what there is to see in the port in the time allocated.

Actually I'll add one additional think, inspired by CKII's post.

I'd love to see some more ships sail from Scotland.  They don't have to be massive ships, but there are so few other than a smattering of Fred Olsen ships (we did Fred Olsen Black Watch to Dublin on a mini-cruise, and embarking from Greenock was very convenient)

I often see cruises around the UK which actually sound wonderful, but I'm sure as hell not driving all the way to Southampton to subsequently call at Leith/Rosyth (Edinburgh) and Greenock, only to sail back to Southampton to drive back home again!

MB alone likes this

...I often see cruises around the UK which actually sound wonderful, but I'm sure as hell not driving all the way to Southampton to subsequently call at Leith/Rosyth (Edinburgh) and Greenock, only to sail back to Southampton to drive back home again!

Princess often do these round-Britain cruises back-to-back - if I were you (and they still do) I'd be tempted to ask them if you can embark/disembark nearer home. I'm sure people must often get on and off at ports other than the published start and finish.

We've done the round-Britain cruise twice with Princess, and the one time we called at Liverpool and we could almost see our home as we sailed away! A very different but amazing way to see more of our beautiful country.

dst87 likes this

Actually I'll add one additional think, inspired by CKII's post.

I'd love to see some more ships sail from Scotland.  They don't have to be massive ships, but there are so few other than a smattering of Fred Olsen ships (we did Fred Olsen Black Watch to Dublin on a mini-cruise, and embarking from Greenock was very convenient)

I often see cruises around the UK which actually sound wonderful, but I'm sure as hell not driving all the way to Southampton to subsequently call at Leith/Rosyth (Edinburgh) and Greenock, only to sail back to Southampton to drive back home again!

I did the Dublin from Greenock last year and stayed on for the cruise to the Caribbean and back to Greenock. Five weeks in total on Black Watch, it was great as we could call at the small islands that the bigger ships couldn't.

Newark,Lincoln, Boston, Skegness, Cleethorpes, Hull then Scarborough. Return York, Leeds Sheffield and home!

No thank you, I was our regional auditor and all these were in my region, I would find this too much like work. Nottingham was in my region too.
Captain Kidd II likes this

Mine would have the Panama Canal, Mexico, New Orleans, Jamaica incorporated in it along with as many other islands I could fit in :D  

I have several clusters of 'perfect' cruise itineraries, based on ports/islands which I have not yet visited.  I'd like an extensive Caribbean no-fly cruise (I don't mind flying at all - it's just the baggage allowance which limits ball gowns and accessories for formal nights).  I've already been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Curacao, so a combination of other islands would be great: Jamaica, Turks and Caicos, Cuba, St. Kitts and Nevis, Aruba and/or Bonaire, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Puerto Rico and/or Dominican Republic... and any other 'must-see' islands recommended.

Another cluster would be a longer Baltic cruise, to include Le Havre, Bruges, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga, St. Petersburg (2 nights)... and is Vilnius doable on a day excursion from Klaipeda?

A cruise to all the Canaries, instead of having to choose only three or four, would be great; and a Mediterranean islands only cruise, to include Ibiza, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Crete, Cephalonia, Capri... and one of the Greek islands in the Aegean ending in -os.

I'd also like to take a circumnavigation of South America with ports to include Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Buenos Aires (2 nights), Valparaiso, a Peruvian one to allow for Machu Pichu, and each of the other coastal countries.  Also, a circumnavigation of Africa to include 2 nights at least in Cape Town.

I know - "Dream on"!

seawitch likes this

Good post Seawitch. Venice and Santorini would definitely be on my list of "perfect ports". I love both of them and even though I have been a few times now, I never hesitate to go back, which is another sign of a "perfect port" to me. I would add Barcelona to this as again I just find there to be something about the place that I love. It's just the whole atmosphere of the city that I love. I would also add Istanbul to this as I had such a brilliant time there when I visited for two days on a previous cruise. It was my first time to the city and it was fantastic. The sightseeing, restaurants, and atmosphere was so good. I really want to go back but given current circumstances over there I am extremely weary of doing so and as such will be giving it a wide berth for the time being. 

seawitch likes this

Venice, Dubrovnik, Rhodes town, Funchal, Santorini & anywhere with ancient Roman or Greek remains especially Pompeii.

seawitch likes this

I love Cape Town and have wanted a cruise around South Africa but not part of a world cruise as these itineraries are often too long for me. I see Fred Olsen are quite close to my ideal cruise with their new game reserves cruise. It sails to/from Cape Town to the likes of Port Elizabeth, Durban, Richards Bay amongst other places (i think its around a 2 week cruise). The chance to see elephants up close, giraffes, rhinos etc in their natural habitats... I may be researching this one in a little more detail....

seawitch and kerry304 like this

I see Kotor pops up on your list Seawitch. I've never had the pleasure of visiting there but would like to. I've heard a lot of people say how scenic it is.

seawitch likes this

I see Kotor pops up on your list Seawitch. I've never had the pleasure of visiting there but would like to. I've heard a lot of people say how scenic it is.

I sailed on Ocean to Kotor Sammysun it was as beautiful as people say. We climbed the city walls up to the top of the mountain (not for the fait-hearted let me tell you), but the views from the top were so worth it.

seawitch likes this

My perfect itinerary would be:-

Barbados, Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, St Lucia, Tortola, Antigua, St Maarten.

Basically most Caribbean Isands, as they are so lush, but i would say the above are my favourite that i have had the pleasure in visiting.smile.png

I love Cape Town and have wanted a cruise around South Africa but not part of a world cruise as these itineraries are often too long for me. I see Fred Olsen are quite close to my ideal cruise with their new game reserves cruise. It sails to/from Cape Town to the likes of Port Elizabeth, Durban, Richards Bay amongst other places (i think its around a 2 week cruise). The chance to see elephants up close, giraffes, rhinos etc in their natural habitats... I may be researching this one in a little more detail....

I've never been to South Africa Matilda but I have always wanted to experience a game reserve and see the 'big 5'. When I got married my husband and I were considering a honeymoon (through Kuoni), which included Kruger National Park but we ended up changing our minds completely & opting for a Caribbean cruise (cost was a major factor!) So it's still on my bucket list :)   

That photo is stunning Kerry. Looks a fantastic view and reinforces many claims that Kotor is reminiscent of a Norwegian Fjords style destination thanks to it's scenery and direct access into the heart of the destination. Looks lovely and I hope to visit one day.

Were going to Kotor on our October cruise so its great to hear that people love it. We've booked an excursion that does a 2 hour scenic drive & then visits a vineyard for lunch & tastings & I'm really looking forward to it.

I must admit I love cruising the Caribbean but the Islands we have visited would not qualify as with the exception of St Maarten you need to grab a tour or taxi as the ports themselves are not that great. Has anyone visited any of the Caribbean Islands and the port is really worth visiting more than once?

I must admit I love cruising the Caribbean but the Islands we have visited would not qualify as with the exception of St Maarten you need to grab a tour or taxi as the ports themselves are not that great. Has anyone visited any of the Caribbean Islands and the port is really worth visiting more than once?

No!!!  For the me the Caribbean is no longer a favourite destination for cruises.  This year for our winter trip we had a week in a lovely small resort in Samana, Dominican Republic.  We awoke one morning to see the Celebrity Infinity sailing past and we didn't even wish we were aboard.  I love cruises for other places but not the Caribbean.