Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MB alone

Last minute change of mind on Cruise line lead to life of cruising

1 post in this topic

In 1984, a cruise had been chosen, but while waiting in a queue at the travel agents we saw a picture of another cruise line and ship we had never heard of, It seemed expensive.  However while waiting we did the sums. No gratuities, all tours included, flight to Greece included, a small intimate ship, only 200 passengers, this sounded like a great one cruising round the Greek Islands and Egypt, for our Silver Wedding Cruise and no more expensive in the long run.

So, Swan Hellenics, 'Orpheus' was booked. What now would be considered as old fashioned cruising but fantastic. 

Round tables of ten with and officer on each table, who paid for the wine every night, all the ladies in their finery and men in tuxedos. Then the Captain provided Champagne and Brandy on our Anniversary.

One ticked off the dinner guests each night in the guest book, there were Lords and Ladies, Senators, Sirs and their Ladies down to teachers and cleaners etc. and us. No one was 'high fluting'  We received a hard backed book of the history of all the places visited and the speakers were all University Professors, they knew their stuff. 

It was wonderful and I am reputed to have said, that I would patch my nickers if I could do this every year.   

A few short years passed when we were put in touch with a small family cruise firm, all the Wilson family members were involved. 

Bolsover Cruise club have looked after us ever since 1989.   

HLM and wanderlust like this