Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

seawitch

What sort of cruise booker are you?

21 posts in this topic

Are you the person who plans and books as soon as the brochures appear? Who has several cruises booked at once.

Are you a last minute booker looking for a late deal?

Are you the person who books your next cruise soon after you return, to help get over the post cruise depression?

How do you plan and book?

Are you the person who plans and books as soon as the brochures appear? Who has several cruises booked at once.Are you a last minute booker looking for a late deal?Are you the person who books your next cruise soon after you return, to help get over the post cruise depression?How do you plan and book?

Hello Seawitch, as a rule I book early due to work commitments, I generally know who with and where I want to go, and very rarely have more than one cruise booked at a time.

Have always preferred fly/cruise as 36hrs bobbing around on the BoB simply doesn't appeal.

Once booked I plan our port activities sometimes with the cruiseline, but more often with independent excursion operators.

HLM.

seawitch likes this

We used to book when the brochures came out but in April on the Oriana they were taking bookings on board for a £50 deposit and vastly increased on board spending money which made us question whether we got the best deal by booking so early. Looks like P & O are quietly trying to cut out the travel agent

They have been doing this for a long while. Your travel agent, namely Bolsover, still deal with your booking after you have paid the deposit.

I'm an early booker too but that is purely down to work commitments. My wife works in education so is restricted to school holiday times therefore we need to book earlier to ensure we get what we want. End up paying more but have no choice if we want to cruise. Would like the opportunity to book later but needing a 3 berth stateroom these days, it's very difficult, especially with these cabins being limited and the strict policy in place by many cruise lines on child numbers on board.

seawitch likes this

Myself and my wife like to have something in the future booked, however seeing holidays/cruise's or city breaks in newspapers, social media, emails ect.. it is far too tempting to not just book things as you go along, myself and my wife are a bit of both.

seawitch likes this

I book early and have just checked the prices I would now pay for 2 cruises next year and find they have already increased from the early book price! Even with obs the cruises are now more expensive than when I booked.

seawitch and Popsicle like this

i do both , i love to know i have something booked and something to plan for, but sometimes if i can i am also happy to take an extra cruise last min smile.png

I like to plan in advance so i know i am going somewhere! biggrin.png  but this is the first time in my life i have nothing booked to look forward too! Not really bothered whether i book early or late but whenever i do book im not one of those to go back and keep checking the price, i was happy with the price when i booked it so why would i go and annoy myself.

The friends we go with need a disabled cabin so we have to book early. We are off to the med again in October and have a Baltic cruise booked for May next year. We tend to book this main holiday when the brochure first comes out but still book last minute if my husband and I decide to have a further cruise in between.

seawitch likes this

Our bookings vary according to the cruise. If there is a destination we particularly want to visit we will book quite early. Otherwise I keep an eye open for good deals to other interesting places and when I see one that appeals at a bargain price, I will book. We have booked up to two years ahead and as close as three weeks on a couple of occasions. If we book close to sailing time we will put a 24 hour hold on the cabin while we check air fares. We let a real bargain Antarctic cruise go, because the air would have cost three times as much as the cruise, but this spring We enjoyed a cheap last minute Transatlantic when we booked return air for just under £200.

Sheila

seawitch likes this

If I remember rightly, Popsicle, you have an advantage when booking last minute! If you do not know when it is best to book nobody does.

Usually book early as we have to stick to school holidays and we need 3 berth cabin. I like to book well in advance and have something to look forward to. When our youngest stops coming with us we will probably start looking for late deals.

We used to book early before we retired , but as OH has a few medical problems we now book as late as possible due to scans, the last cruise we went on OH had   an unexpected scan 2 days before we went [same medical problem] we went away not knowing the results and it worried us [although the insurance company was ok with it ] we weren't

I always browse through the brochures though and mark  what I would like  and keep an eye on it.CG

bit of both! early booker for something i really want to do and that is slightly more expensive so i can pay off gradually and last minute if i see a cheeky deal worth going for. :)

Most of the time we book 'spur of the moment'. For our annual New Year cruise we usually book about 6 to 9 months in advance. 

Our TA retired 3 years ago so now we just book direct.

We used to always book our cruises on launch day, to make sure we could get 4-berth cabins, and normally have 2-3 booked ahead to look forward to. But now with prices being so ridiculously high for children during the holidays, we take our chances and wait for prices to drop.

Unless of course there's a particular cruise we definitely want to do - like Azura's Christmas & New Year cruise to USA and Caribbean this year, which sold out within days. P&O learned from that though and the cruises going at the same time next year are 20% more expensive!

So far we've managed to get everything we had planned, but I know we've been very lucky, and I am expecting we will end up really disappointed at some point. Given the luck we've had the last couple of years in particular, we'll keep taking our chances. When you consider that the 2-week cruise we have this summer was initially priced at £6k for an inside, and we ended up paying less than half that, it's worth the risk in my opinion... Fingers crossed!