Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Kidd II

Where is the best place to stay overnight in Southampton?

16 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend a really nice place where we can stay, overnight, with the car before embarking for a cruise the next day? I do not need holiday parking just a comfy room with good food available for dinner and breakfast.

So far I have tried a couple of places and been disappointed!

Grand Harbour, Holiday Inn, Dolphin, Novotel & Ibis are all very good & central for shopping, waterfront area & parks. The rooms are clean & comfortable & the food is ok. I have listed them in price order (excluding special offers).

My son tried Premier Inn & Jurys Inn & enjoyed them both as well although parking is not on site but in nearby public car parks.

I am not bothered about shops or being in Southampton but do need to feel the carpark is safe. The food needs to be good and "home made" whilst the beds are comfy. I don't ask for much.

From our stay we want:

safe parking for the night

Good food for dinner and breakfast

Comfy room with ensuite

Able to get good night sleep so little noise.

Within 30 minutes form cruise terminals

I never realised this was so difficult!

Grand Harbour hit and miss. Several of the others use public car parks. Many of them use frozen food, bought in, for dinners etc. I could go on and on!

What I want is something really nice and probably family run.

CKII, this doesn't fit the 'family-run' criteria but does fit everything else.  We love the Premier Inn West Quay.  It's in Southampton, so you have a variety of restaurants accessible to you only a short walk or taxi ride away.  Car parking is a secure multi-storey venue that is part of the West Quay shopping centre car park.  The bedrooms in the Premier Inn are simple but with very comfortable beds and good quality showers.

If you're looking for something small and family-run and willing to drive a little further on the morning of the cruise, I can thoroughly recommend Hotel Terravina.  It's in the New Forest, has excellent service and a small private car park, and their restaurant is outstanding.  They offer a tasting menu which I can highly recommend.

Alex and I stayed here for a few nights before our honeymoon cruise and we were very impressed.

Thanks, dst87, the Hotel Terravina sound more like it! I am very hapy to drive for up to 45 minutes on the day of embarkation and this hotel does seem to fit the bill.

dst87 likes this

Thanks, dst87, the Hotel Terravina sound more like it! I am very hapy to drive for up to 45 minutes on the day of embarkation and this hotel does seem to fit the bill.

You're very welcome.  We chose it after extensive research with input from many people on this and other forums.  We were delighted, but they only have a handful of rooms so if you fancy it, it may be best to book.

If you have the time/money to stay for a few days before sailing I'd thoroughly recommend the New Forest generally (and Hotel Terravina as a base for your explorations).  Alex and I had never been before despite sailing from Southampton several times.  It's definitely somewhere I'd love to return for a slightly longer visit.

Captain Kidd II likes this

We stayed at The Angel & Blue Pig in Lymington prior to our last cruise. The hotel is on the High Street with parking at the rear. Lovely evening meal, very quiet rooms. Approx. 40 minutes drive back to Southampton.

Chilworth Manner.

Excellent hotel, staying there again this year and will arrive Saturday around 2pm bed breakfast and evening meal, leisure facilities if you want them, nice bar and rooms. Leave car for duration of your stay and taxi to ship and return all included for a little over £200.

Drive from hotel to ship approx 10 to 15 mins.

They will also just do overnight stays of course. Food is good and plenty of car parking on site which is well away from main roads etc.

Highly recommend this hotel.

We have booked Chilworth Manor for our cruise in October £85 for a double room cream tea on arrival and breakfast included very good value.

My wife and I have stayed at a few hotels but the last time we were down in Southampton prior to boarding a cruise, we opted to keep things simple and booked the Ibis Budget. Now when they use the word "Budget" they really mean it! We were allocated a disabled room on arrival as they said they were fully booked. We accepted it as it was late and thought it wouldn't be a problem. When we got up to the room there were two single beds that were miles away from each other. Not only that but there was a wooden divider between the beds that meant we actually couldn't even see each other once lay down. 

The beds themselves were equivalent to sleeping on a stone floor. Thankfully it was just for the one night and we whisked off to the port as early as possible to get on board looking forward to a much comfier bed in our cabin.

It may sound like a complaint but it's more of a case of "you get what you pay for". I've stayed at a few hotels in Southampton, some excellent, some not so much but the key difference was always the price. In this instance we wanted cheap and cheerful and we got the cheap but not necessarily the cheerful smile.png

Captain Kidd II likes this