Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cruise chef

Leaving the EU

224 posts in this topic

Well it's in the new and wondered if anyone has the answers. Maybe Boris could reply!!!

If we leave the EU will we need a UK passport office as we will no longer be able to have a European Union passports and who is going to foot the bill? 

Will it mean a massive hike in the passport costs?

Will EU countries go down the route of for example the USA or Canada and make us pay to enter or at worse will we need visas?

Would it mean the return of Duty Free which would stretch further our Customs & Border staff to breaking point?

Would travel insurance costs rise?

Will it make entering ports on cruises more troublesome?

I only ask all this as no one seems to have credible answers to staying or leaving!!!!!

Sorry but come on this forum to get away from politics so certainly dont want to discuss  things that NOBODY has the answer too it will get as bad for disagreements as Gratuities thread.

HLM likes this

I certainly don't have the answers but I think that we will have no problems travelling to the EU with visas or passports. We didn't have any problems before hand and I think if we did leave, changes wouldn't be immediate it would be a long process for them to come up with these answers and for anything to actually transition. Just my opinion.

We apply to a passport office for our passports so they may issue different ones in the future. Only cost would b for the new style passport.

Will save money as the E111 will go but I don't think travel insurance will increase as it will be a must for everyone.

The days will come back of passport controls going into every country. If they have sense they will require visas for each country to ensure unwanted british are keot out of their countries. They would, of course, charge for this as why shoukd they have to psy the cost of our decisions. Of course we coukd require visas as well.

The cost of french wine could increase as we would be outside the vat regulations and I cannot see that being reduced.

The value of the pound will go down which will make fuel and every part of holidays more expensive. Not scaremongering just look want happened last week.

dst87 likes this

Well we had no trouble travelling before we joined ,  why should there be  any now,  maybe we can have our  blue passports back [remember them]  we  always took out travel insurance regardless of the  cards now required  and very often not being able to use them as they only apply to public hospitals ,and usually  you have no say and are carted of to a private one.

If all the other countries still remain we will only have to buy Euros , as for duty free  well all the prices in our supermarkets are so low now  you can purchase  any time.CG

boomboomtime likes this

If we consider protecting our borders so important then why do we expect other countries to welcome us with open arms if we pull out of the EU? The choice to leave is up to the individual but we cannot expect those who remain in the club to treat us the same. My attitude woukd be one gone from the club the more for the rest of us!

sinbad10 likes this

If we did leave I think it would be the end of last minute cruise deals if other countries expected the British to have to get visas for every country listed on the cruise. It would be bad enough for a normal cruise.

Captain Kidd II likes this

Simple answer..holiday at home and stick your money in our economy.

No passport required.

Oh... giving up cruising, are we? laugh.png wink.png tongue.png

Oh... giving up cruising, are we? :lol: ;) :P

Nope..it's given me up..ridiculous prices being quoted because of the inclusion of the so called "free" packages

I was hoping to manage a cheap but cheerful week or two away but they no longer exist for those of us who have to book ahead.

If I travel on my Canadian passport I do not need visas for European countries, any more than with my UK(EU) passport. Some countries around the world require visas, some do not, depending on which passport I use. Also the cost varies Dubai used to be much cheaper for British than Canadian and Argentina was cheaper for British.

You are lucky to have duel nationality. I only have a UK passport so have no choice! Just because you do not need a visa for your Canadian passport does not mean.we will be treated the same if the vote is to leave. No memdership, new rules

I haven't made my mind up either way, probably edging towards leave but not sure.  Did anyone see the question time with David Cameron yesterday, he got

hammered, it was embarrassing him keep referring to the "experts" even the audience laughed when he continued to do so

Falmouthgirl likes this

The markets are clear on what they think. If out is edging forward the pound drops and shares do as well. Clear sign holidays will cost more if we go out. On the other hand prices wil go up which will result in a greater vat income to the coffers to help cover the need to cover unemplyment benefits increasing.

sinbad10 likes this

The economy is the most important thing to the country and to all of us and you only have to look at the rise in the pound and shares today due to the bookmakers and many think there will be a slight favour to stay in EU at the vote on Thursday.

I disagree Sinbad I think immigration is a much more important subject currently and the ability to control our own borders, which if we stay in the EU we will have no say in the matter

Falmouthgirl likes this

Immigration is an interesting one. The majority of people coming into from the country do so from non EU countries and so we already have control over the borders.

Coming out of the Eu will not stop people trying to cross the channel and, I am sure, France will not be so willing to help us control our borders over there.

Not many months ago we were calling for more people from Syria and other war torn countries to be allowed into the country and complaining because not enough was being done. Other EU countries have accepted far more people that we have without problems.

If we reduced EU entry then many of our farms would struggle to survive because they are dependent on EU workers to pick crops as our unemployed do not want to do this kind of manual work. The NHS is also dependent on workers from overseas and a points system will not give the answers many are looking for. On the whole people come to this country to work and so are contributors to our tax system which is more than I can say for many professional benefits claimants who have never worked in their lives nor have their parents.

sinbad10, HLM and MG16 like this

I have many Brexit reservations to say the least but as for trade, inevitably we are going to need access to the single market. This will need to be addressed asap during the breakaway negotiations once article 50 is invoked. Are we going to be able to achieve access to the single market without giving away some standpoints, for example free movement. Are France and Germany likely to let us waltz back into the single market without making a single murmur? I sincerely doubt it, and if free movement was a condition to accessing the single market, would the political leaders in charge consider it? If they did that would cause uproar among the many voters who voted out in order to achieve full control over our borders once more.

I have many Brexit reservations to say the least but as for trade, inevitably we are going to need access to the single market. This will need to be addressed asap during the breakaway negotiations once article 50 is invoked. Are we going to be able to achieve access to the single market without giving away some standpoints, for example free movement. Are France and Germany likely to let us waltz back into the single market without making a single murmur? I sincerely doubt it, and if free movement was a condition to accessing the single market, would the political leaders in charge consider it? If they did that would cause uproar among the many voters who voted out in order to achieve full control over our borders once more.

That is exactly what Norway had to do is to access the single market they had to open their borders and allow immigration from other EU countries so they now have a bigger problem with immigration than we do. So in effect people could be voting to leave EU so we can control our own borders and then to access single market we will have to open our borders so we will be no better off.

sammy sun and Captain Kidd II like this

That is exactly what Norway had to do is to access the single market they had to open their borders and allow immigration from other EU countries so they now have a bigger problem with immigration than we do. So in effect people could be voting to leave EU so we can control our own borders and then to access single market we will have to open our borders so we will be no better off.

That's all fine and dandy but I think we probably have a bit more leverage than Norway.

Europe needs us more than we need them.

hturtle, Davybe and Falmouthgirl like this

That's all fine and dandy but I think we probably have a bit more leverage than Norway.

Europe needs us more than we need them.

No they don't that's what they are brainwashing you into thinking.

What does Europe need from us?

They make enough cars so that one is out. The french own part of Nissan so they could easily pull manufacture into their Renault plants resulting in unemployment here.

The French, through Edf, are funding new build of nuclear power plants over here - what happens if we pull out as I am sure they will look after their own first.

If we pull out any money we put in could be divided between he other 27 members so the increase to each would not be a biggy.

Europe does need holiday makers, football hooligans, and nearly 2 million british residents living overthere.

When in Norway a couple of weeks ago they were talking of rising their age of retirement to 70 - we could do with that!

If Europe is not that important why have the US, Canada and other countries spent so many years negotiating trade agreements? In the case of the US they, I am sure, will have more clout than us. Stop being brainwashed and realise this vote is all to do with sad Conservatives who never wanted to go into Europe being appeased.

sinbad10 likes this

I think you're the one that's been brainwashed if you believe half of that..

If we're that insignificant why are the Europeans threatening us with what could happen after we leave?

They know that other countries who are also fed up with a Federal Europe will want a referendum thereby leading to the end of the gravy train.

They need us and our economy..it's that simple.

Once we decide to Remain they know they've got us by the goolies....then you'll never ever get the chance to reform the fat, bloated, cheating, lying state that the EU has become.

If Mr Cameron can't reform it before we threaten them with exit what chance after a vote to Remain?

I'll give you a clue...not even a dogs chance.

Falmouthgirl likes this