Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nelios

Shuttle buses

9 posts in this topic

Why should anyone have to pay for a shuttle bus to the port terminals .

Surely if the ship has to dock a distance away from the terminal they should provide transport.

With P&O some pay but customers paying Select Price do not.

If you berth in a working port then the shuttle bus is often free to a point near the port entrance. If you want to go into town then pay select prices in which case you will get it for free. You make your choice and pay accordingly.

If you save a huge amount on a cruise by booking late meaning you have to pay for a shuttle, the charges for these are not a lot compared with the savings made on the cruise. As the Capt'n has said if you want a free one pay full price. I do believe that there is a list on P & O's website of which ports you have a port shuttle bus (as its a container port) and those that are not.

Captain Kidd II likes this

I don't really see the problem here.  This information isn't a secret; in fact, when you price a cruise through P&O's website (or Cunard, who operate the same system) the inclusions and exclusions are very strongly advised.

You have to calculate that when working out how much it's all going to cost.

I have to admit, though, I do prefer ports/itineraries where you can walk right off the ship and into the action.  That's one of many reasons the Norwegian Fjords remain my favourite cruising itinerary!

vamp23 likes this

In Copenhagen there are two possible cruise berths, one within walking distance of the centre the other a bit of a trek away.  The evening prior to arriving in Copenhagen, Celebrity Eclipse staff informed us that we would be berthing in the more distant one and sold us tickets at around $25 for the two of us.  Quess what?  We awoke next morning to find that we were at the closest dock.  We felt that Celebrity MUST have known that the evening before.  Of course, no refunds were forthcoming.  Just another cruiseline rip off.

I agree with many of the comments above on this. P&O clearly advertise the differences between fare options so all passengers have their choice. The decision, as it should be, rests with us, the paying public. 

Captain Kidd II and HLM like this

Surely what matter is the total cost of your cruise.  Pay a higher price and have everything included or pay for the things that are important to you.  With a bit of research you can find out if public transit is available from the port, as it is in Copenhagen, or if you actually need a shuttle.  Often cruise lines will try to sell you shuttle tickets when the town is easily walkable for any reasonably fit passenger,  The internet is your friend when planning your port visits.

Sheila

There is always the option of taxis, but I would have thought these maybe are more costly than the buses, failing that under your own steam. As most have previously mentioned it is down to us and what we want in our cruise price, its all about offering a value fare to those wanting less choice

when you are saving £800 or so on the cruise fare, £15 or so on a few shuttle buses hardly seems unreasonable. as others have said it is only in ports where the town is a mile or so away and you can walk