Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

maxbranning87

Are you a Bingo Player? Would you say this a Sport?

16 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I am fairly new to the Forum, and my myself and my Wife had a very engaging phone call from my Daughter last night about Bingo.

She had been watching a programme last night, we are not really Television watchers, however I believe the programme was called 'First Dates'. She advised there was a couple on their and they were having a heated debate to whether playing Bingo is classed as a Sport.

A young lady was bound to a Wheelchair, after having Cancer as a child and wasn't given long to live, but the young lady has pulled through, however finds it difficult to get in and out of places to meet new people.

The one place she did not struggle was the Bingo Hall, and since then has met some lovely Ladies and has joined a group, and is apparently a sport.

My Wife and I love to play Bingo, and always get involved wherever it is. We very much look forward to playing this on the Cruise Ships also.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this topic.

dancefloordemon likes this

I cannot accept Bingo as a sport. In fact the whole concept of it drives me mad. I find it so boring that I try and avoid it at all costs. obviously just my opinion but no definitely not a sport for me.

We would not refer to bingo as a sport, unless you consider gambling a sport!

We would not refer to bingo as a sport, unless you consider gambling a sport!

Completely agree, gambling is not a sport. In poker there are elements of skill without a doubt but that is more focused on the reading of your opponents and ability to calculate odds, the turn of the cards is completely random and therefore cannot be classed as a sport surely. The same applies to bingo but without the elements of skill, it's just pure luck.

I agree, I think sports should involve skill not luck. But I do love a good game of bingo on a lazy afternoon at sea on a cruise!

I think Bingo is a game rather than a sport. And in fact the only time I probably play is on board a cruise when there's not much else happening!

Cant beat a bit of competitive bingo lol

Is bingo a sport? I did use to see ladies going to our bingo hall (now gone) wearing tracksuits and sweatbands :D so I guess it must be.

On a serious note no not a sport just a game of chance but our pub has just introduced Rock and Roll bingo which instead of numbers songs are played and if you have the title on you ticket you mark it off and it is proving very popular.

Instinctively I would not class bingo as a sport.  SportAccord is the umbrella organisation for all international sports federations, and they offer a definition of sport that I believe is fair.

According to them, a sport should (1) Have an element of competition, (2) be in no way harmful to any living creature, (3) not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier, and (4) not reply on any 'luck' element specifically designed into the sport.

(4) would quickly rule out Bingo.  They recognise that sport can take many forms, and allow for games such as chess to be included as a sport which is primarily of the mind. They use five categories to define sports:

• Primarily physical (e.g. rugby or athletics)
  • Primarily mind (e.g. chess or go)
  • Primarily motorised (e.g. F1 or power boating)
  • Primarily coordination (e.g. billiards)
  • Primarily animal-supported (e.g. equestrianism)

There you have it... an answer from a somewhat authoritative source.

That said, etymologically, the word comes from the Old French despot, meaning "leisure".  The oldest definition in English from around 1,300 is "anything humans find amusing or entertaining"... so perhaps 700 years go bingo might have been considered a sport!

You gotta love Wikipedia, huh?

Let me say that I am happy that the lady in questions recovered from her illness and that she is able to meet like minded people. Having said that in answer to the question I don't think that Bingo is a sport.

Bingo is not a sport. There is no skill involved, just luck. Although, if the caller is going too quick then there may be skill in quickly marking off the numbers, but that's it.

RayO

Instinctively I would not class bingo as a sport.  SportAccord is the umbrella organisation for all international sports federations, and they offer a definition of sport that I believe is fair.

According to them, a sport should (1) Have an element of competition, (2) be in no way harmful to any living creature, (3) not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier, and (4) not reply on any 'luck' element specifically designed into the sport.

(4) would quickly rule out Bingo.  They recognise that sport can take many forms, and allow for games such as chess to be included as a sport which is primarily of the mind. They use five categories to define sports:

• Primarily physical (e.g. rugby or athletics)
  • Primarily mind (e.g. chess or go)
  • Primarily motorised (e.g. F1 or power boating)
  • Primarily coordination (e.g. billiards)
  • Primarily animal-supported (e.g. equestrianism)

There you have it... an answer from a somewhat authoritative source.

That said, etymologically, the word comes from the Old French despot, meaning "leisure".  The oldest definition in English from around 1,300 is "anything humans find amusing or entertaining"... so perhaps 700 years go bingo might have been considered a sport!

You gotta love Wikipedia, huh?

dst87... I wouldn't ever trust wikipedia for your fact finding! Just so you know...

Wikipedia:About - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to ...

I agree re Wikipedia. Dreadful source of information that can be amended at the drop of hat to state anything you want it to. Inevitably it will be flagged and removed but If I wanted to make London the capital of the United States on there I could do so at will, albeit for a short space of time.

Northern Star and kerry304 like this