Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Land Ahoy

Fire On Board Black Watch

12 posts in this topic

Hi I have just read that a fire broke out on Fred Olsen's Black Watch. Nobody was injured and the passengers have been flown home and have been awarded a 100% refund plus any reasonable expenses and a 50% discount on a future cruise with the company. Would you be prepared to sail with them again or would you be feel unsafe taking a further cruise?

I would sail with them again no problem, things like this can happen anywhere at anytime despite all the best laid plans

Its how the issue was dealt with and what fred olsen learn from this that will make the difference, and I have every confidence in them

Agree with hturtle. Although we've never sailed with Fred Olsen, this certainly wouldn't put us off, and their compensation seems quite generous given the cruise was halfway through. It looks to me like they've handled this brilliantly.

It would be interesting to hear from any passengers who were onboard though, it's always easy to comment on something that didn't affect you personally. We've been on two cruises where there has been a fire onboard, and I must admit it is a scary experience, even though on both occasions they were quickly resolved with minimal disruption.

Although I've never sailed with Fred Olsen, this wouldn't put me off, as from what I've read online Fred Olsen seemed to have handled this very well and the compensation given to customers also seems very generous.

I'm glad to hear that nobody on board was injured but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who was on board to see how they felt the situation was handled.

I too haven't sailed with Fred Olsen but I do know people that have and those people experienced a similar situation last year when a fire broke out on Boudicca. They were flown home during their cruise to Cape Verde and given a similar compensation package to this. The events haven't put them off one bit though and they're due to sail with Freds again this year. For them the experience of a Fred Olsen cruise and the service they get on board is second to none and they insist on remaining loyal following many positive Freds cruises in the past. 

I don't know how I'd feel if it was me but I have to agree that the compensation package is excellent, as it should be though considering many passengers will have been looking forward to their hard earned break for a long time.

I have sailed with Fred Olsen's on quite a few trips and think they do a good job. A fire on board would not stop me sailing with them again. As already mentioned it is how the situation is dealt with that will either inspire or diminish confidence in a cruise line.

waterglen likes this

Definitely sail with them again, these things can happen for a variety of reasons. It sounds like it was dealt with very well by the crew with no injuries and customers were kept informed & looked after

Sailed with Fred on Braemar for the first time in May on the Mystery Cruise and it was a wonderful experience. The crew were amazing, the ship was gleaming (there is a team of corridor/venue/etc cleaners who seem to work around the clock cleaning carpets, handrails, tables, chairs. We thought the carpets were new but apparently they had been laid about 4 years or so ago, which shows the upkeep of the ship itself.

I agree, this sort of thing can happen at any time, to a new or older ship. It sounds like it has been dealt with very professionally, but also very personally, and I for one would not hesitate for a single second to go on a Fred cruise again.

Again I agree with everyone else on this post it wouldn't put be off. I have been on a couple of Fred Olsen cruises and there service is really good and it looks like they have really looked after the passengers on board

I have sailed with Fred Olsen's on quite a few trips and think they do a good job. A fire on board would not stop me sailing with them again. As already mentioned it is how the situation is dealt with that will either inspire or diminish confidence in a cruise line.

We have sailed with Fred Olsen & been happy each time, however should it have happened to me I am unable to fly so how would they get me home?

Spoke to a friend who was on board & she said the crew were wonderful & they have already had their money back. Well done Fred.