Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RiverSong

Lifeguards On Board Ships?

16 posts in this topic

Tragedy has struck on RCI Anthem Of The Seas an Eight year old boy has drowned on board in one of her swimming pools it has been reported that he may have been in the water after a seizure for 10 minutes.  Heartbreakingly this is not an isolated incident or isolated to RCI.  Surely Cruise lines should now be looking at placing Lifeguards on duty at least in peak season when they have more children on board? 

It goes without saying that our thoughts are with the family and friends of anyone affected by this.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

What a terrible incident. You wonder if he was in a children's club and so should have been monitored. If this was not the case then the question must be asked who was looking after the young child? I would never leave anyone, that age, playing in water on their own.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

I agree Captain Kidd, the only lifeguard needed should be a parent or guardian especially at 8

People need to take more responsibility

A real tragedy and you have to feel for the family but I would agree with previous forum members. If parents were at a beach then they would be more attentive to what is happening and it does only take a little water to drown in, other than that would parents be prepared to pay for a pool lifeguard to cover the childrens pools during opening hours, I think the answer is probably no!

If it happened while he was in the care of the kids club then serious questions need to be asked about negligence. If he wasn't then the fault lies with the parents they are responsible at all times for their children any 8yr old child has to be watched at all times never mind one that has seizures as well. A very sad case.

Whilst I agree with other opinions that the parents are ultimately responsible, I feel it's about time the cruise industry caught up with the hotel trade and put a first aid trained lifeguards on their ships.

The cost is minimal, and if it means a few extra quid on the price then so be it.

HLM.

RiverSong likes this

Whilst I agree with other opinions that the parents are ultimately responsible, I feel it's about time the cruise industry caught up with the hotel trade and put a first aid trained lifeguards on their ships.

The cost is minimal, and if it means a few extra quid on the price then so be it.

HLM.

I agree with you on this HLM, it's a terrible incident where you have to question the responsibility of the parents but as you quite rightly said, in my opinion, a lifeguard on duty would minimise the risk of such incidents occurring again in the future. Ultimately, it is the parents responsibility to look after the child but lifeguards should be there anyway, no matter what. Take another possibility for example. What happens if someone slips entering the pool and injures themselves? Be that  an adult or child. If the pool is empty and nobody is around to see it, what happens then? If a lifeguard is on duty then there's always someone there keeping an eye on things. In a world that is crazy for health and safety, it seems surreal that this is not common practice on board. I can go down to the local swimming pool near me and find three lifeguards on duty so why not on board?

RiverSong and HLM like this

I guess if you are going down the route of lifeguards then for a ship the size of Britannia you would need one on each pool or you would have to ensure kids only used one which would be impossible.

Also you are then putting responsibility on the lifeguard and parent may get less observant, God forbid an accident happen while they are on duty as everyone would hold them responsible.

My feelings is it is ultimately parents responsibility to care for their children while they are in the pools it is no hardship to hang your feet in the water and watch them or better still be in there with them.

sinbad10 likes this

I completely agree Jaczs that parents should be on watch all the time when their children are in the pool and I'm sure 99.9% of them are but having a lifeguard in place would act as an added safety precaution. I know it puts a lot of responsibility on a lifeguard but that's what they would be trained for. Local swimming pools and waterparks have lifeguards, they are heavily relied on too but they are trained to deal with that and manage situations accordingly I just think in today's modern world, it is strange that this is not standard on all cruise lines.

I guess if you are going down the route of lifeguards then for a ship the size of Britannia you would need one on each pool or you would have to ensure kids only used one which would be impossible.

Also you are then putting responsibility on the lifeguard and parent may get less observant, God forbid an accident happen while they are on duty as everyone would hold them responsible.

My feelings is it is ultimately parents responsibility to care for their children while they are in the pools it is no hardship to hang your feet in the water and watch them or better still be in there with them.

Of course you are correct Jaczs it is the parents responsibility however we all know it doesn't happen all the time, therefore if cruiselines decide to put 1,2,3 or even 4 pools on ships they should provide lifeguards to mind them, as they do in most mainstream hotels.

HLM.

I find it quite amusing that more fuss is made about having a dedicated crew member to monitor sunbeds and the time they are left for yet lifeguards on duty around pool areas is considered unnecessary. Seems a strange one to me.

HLM likes this

I find it quite amusing that more fuss is made about having a dedicated crew member to monitor sunbeds and the time they are left for yet lifeguards on duty around pool areas is considered unnecessary. Seems a strange one to me.

Absolutely Sammy Sun, what's more they could even incorporate sunbed duty as part of the role, now wouldn't that be a good idea?

HLM.

sammy sun likes this

From what I have read he didn't actually drown in the pool, he was found unresponsive and died days later due to his injuries. Obviously this is no consollation to the family and also still asks the question should lifeguards be monitoring the pools. In my opinion it is down to the childs guardian.

I read this too and it's awful. It's very sad to see and like Riversong said, our thoughts go out to the family. As I've said before, I wholeheartedly agree that the parents/guardians are responsible for their child but lifeguards should be there as an extra safety precaution. A local swimming pool would never consider opening up and not employing a lifeguard. They always have one on duty, most places have more than one. Cruise lines should do the same. It's pure logic.

HLM likes this

I read this too and it's awful. It's very sad to see and like Riversong said, our thoughts go out to the family. As I've said before, I wholeheartedly agree that the parents/guardians are responsible for their child but lifeguards should be there as an extra safety precaution. A local swimming pool would never consider opening up and not employing a lifeguard. They always have one on duty, most places have more than one. Cruise lines should do the same. It's pure logic.

but then a lot of hotels dont have lifeguads either

sinbad10 likes this