Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiverSong

Holidaymakers admit to exaggerating bad experiences and threatening negative reviews!

18 posts in this topic

This comes as no surprise but more than a quarter of Brits have lied or over exaggerated about a bad experience on holiday, with one in eight threatening bad reviews to get what they want.

Research reveals 23% have lied about or exaggerated a bad experience with 13% having threatened to leave a bad online review.  When asked what they had hoped to achieve through their lies or threats,  many replied it was to 'save money, get a discount or to 'receive some kind of upgrade’.   More worryingly Over half said their devious actions had been successful!

angry.png

I can believe this. I've seen many people at reception desks over the years laying into staff for minimal reasons. Everyone has the right to speak up if they feel aggrieved about a situation or experience but some take it to the extreme purely for the purpose of getting an added benefit for themselves. They often don't consider the impact it has on staff members and particularly the person having to manage the situation.

I'm all for criticism when just but some take it too far.

This doesn't surprise me at all! If there is a genuine problem/concern that's fine, but when people exaggerate purely for the purpose of getting something free/discounted I feel sorry for the person who has to deal with it all.

I agree with the comments if there is something wrong then speak up. I hate that people who are nice and have a problem normally don't get any resolution whereas if you rant and rave about it they are the ones which usually get what they want.

Unfortunately this seems to be the culture these days, if you have a problem in a restaurant for example say something and give them the chance to correct it. Saying the meal is fine and then complaining afterwards is a total sham and makes the complainer an idiot.

The rise of reviews from places like Trip Advisor fuels this but used in the right way with constructive comments it can be very useful for all

doratheexplorer and seawitch like this

My favorite regular moan on trip advisor is when there is a one star review because all inclusive doesn't include a specific brand of alcohol, but the rest of the holiday was great. ridiculous!

People who rant and rave seem to get what they want and it's really not fair. I would only complain if I really thought it nessessery. At the end of the day you are on holiday...chill out!

Some of the reviews people put on TripAdvisor are ridiculous! Moaning over the smallest of things just for the sake of it and then going on to give one star reviews.

This comes as no surprise but more than a quarter of Brits have lied or over exaggerated about a bad experience on holiday, with one in eight threatening bad reviews to get what they want.

Research reveals 23% have lied about or exaggerated a bad experience with 13% having threatened to leave a bad online review.  When asked what they had hoped to achieve through their lies or threats,  many replied it was to 'save money, get a discount or to 'receive some kind of upgrade’.   More worryingly Over half said their devious actions had been successful!

angry.png

Fascinating stuff this RiverSong?

Let's be quite clear, I'm not doubting you at all, but please can you reveal the sources from which your comments are based, especially as you re- quote 'over half said their devious actions had been successful', given it was research driven and 23 % are also apparently deduced, or have possibly admitted, to have lied?

These are indeed quite remarkable statistics and quotes, whichever way we might care to look at them?

Are the statistics drawn from proven Court cases, or just (heaven forbid!) TA or cruise-line gossip that has somehow now become folklore??

Not a sensible place, and in fact a very dangerous place for the industry to go, if you or perhaps others, catch my drift??

RiverSong likes this

I usually adopt the ice skating marking approach when using reviews, that is discount the highest and the lowest and somewhere in the middle you get the reality.

I've no doubt that invested interests will mean both high and low scores. I too would like to know the source of the quoted figures.

RayO

Fascinating stuff this RiverSong?

Let's be quite clear, I'm not doubting you at all, but please can you reveal the sources from which your comments are based, especially as you re- quote 'over half said their devious actions had been successful', given it was research driven and 23 % are also apparently deduced, or have possibly admitted, to have lied?

These are indeed quite remarkable statistics and quotes, whichever way we might care to look at them?

Are the statistics drawn from proven Court cases, or just (heaven forbid!) TA or cruise-line gossip that has somehow now become folklore??

Not a sensible place, and in fact a very dangerous place for the industry to go, if you or perhaps others, catch my drift??

Of course, it was TraveMole that publised the artical,

and the survey was carried out among 2,510 UK residents who had been on an overseas holiday in the past 12 months by Sunshine.co.uk.

loz6 likes this

Unfortunately this is a trend in many areas of business. I was a retail manager for 25 years and we only ever got one complaint. A gentleman said he wanted a case (6) of a particular wine that was on offer,  we were unable to order stock and were allocated one case,which a customer bought  within a few minutes of delivery so when said gentleman wanted to buy a case 8 hours later there was no stock. He kicked off a fuss with our HO and was duly sent £30 in vouchers. He came into the shop gloating he didn't want the offer in the first place just thought it was a good thing to complain about and get some money back. He boasted he had got over £10,000 back from companies by complaining.

I think they are the same people who will tell you they booked the cruise two weeks ago, and got it more than half

The price you paid.

Or they get double the amount of on board credit, up grades to suite or grill.

I think they are the ones who just tell fibs to get up your nose.

They are also the ones who are so rude to the staff, I think it is the way they enjoy themselves,

Glad they don't live near me.

Hi   I do think a "few" passengers do complain about minor matters and definitely exaggerate the affect of  these concerns to enhance the compensation they expect.  However, the marketing departments of cruise lines are not averse to exaggerating the claims about the "luxury" product you find on board but how many cruise lines deliver their promises?  Most cruise lines do offer a decent cruise experience but very few come anywhere near offering the degree of indulgence they imply.

So true. All the brochures go on about the fabulous food - it was a few years ago, but sadly not anymore.  After just spending several days as the guest of the NHS , I would say the food was better cooked  than the food on our last cruise. 

I go on holiday to enjoy myself! My wife tells me I see too much good in things, and should complain more. I'm not a regular complainer, but if I have a complaint that I think is worthy, I will go on and on and on. I'm at present on about my 5th letter of complaint to BA, Every letter I've sent has been met with a reply telling me they sympathise but they will not compensate me for a cancelled flight! My latest letter was sent to the CEO, lets see what he says!