Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MG16

Flight Seat Booker with P&O Cruises

16 posts in this topic

I am sailing with P&O to the Caribbean in November and the flight seat booker opens next month.

I am just wondering if it is worth the £20pp each way? We are a couple and not too bothered where we sit, we would prefer a window and the one next to it. Has anyone not pre-booked and managed to get the seats they want? Do most people leave it til the airport or prebook them early? I would rather spend £80 on something else.

It is my first time flying with P&O I have only ever sailed from Southampton so any advice is welcome.

I wouldnt pay to sit together personally, I suppose if there is somewhere you particually want to sit or if you really want to be sat together then it's worth it!? 

It is possible that you will be given seats that are not near each other, which may be unlikely but possible.

I moan about paying for seats but its a long flight and I would rather choose my seats and know we are together.

if you decide not to pre book them make sure you are at the airport when check in opens i've been told they do the seats on a first come first served basis ( not sure if this is true ) smile.png

I think it all comes down to not only where you want to sit, but also the specific aircraft seat configuration on the plane that you might be flying on.

There is a site called seat guru, covering many, many airlines, scheduled and charter, and I would suggest that its worth a search to find it online.

If you are flying long-haul to the Caribbean, (Charter or Schedule airline) then its a totally different experience than flying to the Med in just a couple of hours.

People really need to check this out, (assuming their relationships are intact? LOL!) and yes, I'd much rather have my other half sitting next to me, in case we both want to 'drop off' for a while, than suffer the problem of sitting between two people who I/we don't know at all, who then (totally unaware, admittedly) fall asleep on either side of me, whilst both also are leaning toward me. It's happened more than once, trust me!

Many people who have travelled the world alone Long haul, and been trapped in this situation will understand the situation, and trust me again folks, many people also become very 'territorial' about their seats once allocated, so once onboard the plane, there is very little chance that people will agree to change seats, unless what you are offering them, is noticeably better than what they are giving up.

Do we pay the extra to sit together on flights? Most definitely yes, and always on the long haul charter or budget airline flights.

If travelling on scheduled flights, then most airlines offer free seat selection online, in economy cabins once within the 24 hr flight departure window. However once offering to search for the best seats yourselves, your previous allocation automatically goes back into the seat selection process, so I'd caution, think very carefully, before chancing your luck too far.

Happy travels! 

On our flight in December most people myself included had prepaid and booked their seats on the flight seat booker as it was a Dreamliner so a 3-3-3 configuration it left lots of single seats so people who had not pre-booked were sat not together. I guess if you do not mind being on your own take a chance but I doubt there will be any window seats left as they are usually the first to go. 

HALaP&O and JH327 like this

I really like the windows on the B787 Dreamliner as they are just that bit bigger, plus they have auto dimming, that the crew can control if needs be. So much better than a blind. 

Seat-wise, I much prefer an aisle seat, when travelling on my own, just so I can nip to the loo, without disturbing anyone else.

My other half likes a window seat, so invariably I get the middle seat and hope that we might get lucky and we'll get an empty aisle seat, every once in a while one in a while. Less likely on Charter flights, but sometimes it still works out.

I've yet to try the new A350 Airbus, which I'm told is a very similar concept to the B787, both in terms of materials used and also all the efficiencies gained. 

I love flying, once through the airport check-in and all the security scans.

We always pre-book our seats. If there are a two we book window and aisle , if it is 3-3-3 we book two aisle seats. I think it is a check having to pay to prebook,to sit together but even the schduked airlines do that. I am flying to San Diego on my own in October and like an aisle seat. They charge £20 to prebook but you can check in 24 hours before the flight and choose your seat for free. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I will not get a middle seat. As I type this I have changed my mind and will book my seat now.

Have done these same flights many times sometimes have booked seats.. they were £10 2years ago.. now too expensive.. they have a habit of changing the type of aircraft with different seat configuration..my advice don't book them..you have a excellent chance of being seated near to each other anyway!!

This is a no brainer for us personally as my wife has dementia so we have to sit together and book our seats ASAP.,,,As  others have said its now getting expensive probably due to P&O wanting to make an extra bit on this service,but it is along flight.To my way of thinking If you were seated separately theres no prob on the way out but as others have already mentioned it depends on how you feel about the possibility of a complete stranger (or two!) using your shoulders as a pillow on the overnight return!!!!!!

My wife and I were on Adonia ( yes I know its sad that she is gone and unlikely to do any more exoctic cruises) for the Amazon cruise earlier this year and flew from Gatwick. I appreciate you stated about your lack of seating preferences, BUT my strong advice would be to bite the bullet, upgrade to premium and enjoy the flight rather than endure it. This gives you comfortable seats, choice of food and open bar, and being forward, much quieter.

Failing that do as previously mentioned, check seat guru and pre book. 

I always pre book the seats, its one of the first things we do. We've just booked flights to Australia and we did this the following day from booking. I think its more of a boredom thing more than anything. We mostly go longhaul flights too so its nice to be able to get comfy etc without having to watch your space. x

Where possible my husband always pays for a seat near emergency exit because he is tall and needs more leg room. I am quite short so I don't need extra leg room. I prefer an aisle seats so i can nip to the loo and have a walk a bout without diisturbing people.

After writing this post, P&O flights gave me a call as I was on the waitlist for premium economy on the dreamliner and we've got it! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I think I will pre book our seats now I am in premium as I know there are only a few.

Thanks for all the advice