Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Waves49

Cruise booked need operation

25 posts in this topic

This is for my friends who have booked a P&O cruise in October this year.

One of the party has just been told they need an operation.

Will P&O let them transfer to another cruise booking for next year instead?

They probably will provided it is for the same cost. Mind you there will be an admin charge. If your party member cannot go, for medical reasons, they should be able to reclaim against insurance, less any excess.

We changed a cruise about 5 years ago. We had to pay £100 and we had to change to a more expensive cruise. Whether the terms and conditions have now changed I'm afraid I don't know. I seem to remember the new cruise had to be taken within 9 months too.

We have had to cancel a cruise and P & O did charge us £100 admin fee to transfer to another cruise and yes, it had to be more expensive. This was a couple of years ago so the terms and conditions might have changed. Hope your friend will be OK. And you are able to rebook for a later date.

It is still £100 transfer fee and the cruise has to be the same price or more. In relation to claiming on your insurance the insurance company will go through records to ensure that the operation wasn't in relation to a pre-existing medical condition. It is also necessary to have on record that the person is fit to travel afterwards aswell.

Hope you get it sorted.

We have just had to cancel due to surgery and was within the 90 days of cruise, we got 20% back from P&O when we cancelled with them and claimed the rest back via insurance which has been successful. We were not allowed to bank it for another cruise, cancellation fees were applied and had to pay excess £100. So in the end it just cost us the excess. I think it does make a difference if you cancel before the 90 days though.

Davybe likes this

Thank you for your comments and advice.

The cruise for October was booked a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if they have paid the full amount yet.

I can't remember how many weeks pre-cruise it has to be paid and never though to ask my friend this question.

I'm currently waiting to hear from her to see how she has got on with this.

I will update when she gets in touch. 

Thanks  smile.png

Not much of an update really but my friend spoke to the insurers who advised they wouldn't insure against this until GP has advised further so they have to wait.

meanwhile I mentioned that her hubby is insured but that as they didn't know about him needing an operation maybe the would get part or some of their monies back - thay have completed the balance payment so it's not just the deposit they would lose.

Her hubby is trying to get in for an appointment with his GP ASAP.

I suppose it depends on how urgent the operation is and whether you get a date before the cruise, if not urgent maybe you could just inform the insurance company that an operation is needed and to have it done when they come back.. The insurance company would then assess the risk. My insurance Company do not want to know anything until things are actually diagnosed.

It's sorted.

They managed to get to see the GP who said there was no reason they couldn't cruise and that pain relief could be given.

So - they called the insurance agency who have now covered the Gall Stones problem and added an extra £52 for it.

Oh dear - unfortunately the man I put this post out about was in hospital - Gall Bladder needs to come out.

Cruise is booked for the end of this month October, hopefully Key Hole.

With only two weeks to go I don't know if they will make it!!

I've just had a text from his wife and he's had the operation done this morning but doesn't know if it's key hole ( the planned one ) or open surgery.

Once she knows she's going to contact insurance to see how they stand.

This year we had to cancel a holiday due to my wife having an operation. Rather than swapping the holiday we cancelled and claimed on the insurance. Yes, we had to pay the £50 excess but at least we will be able to select to holiday where we want and with whom rather than swapping and perhaps having to pay a premium to the company to do this. I was also told that it is not wise to travel or fly until 6 weeks after an operation. Food for thought.

Have to agree with you Oldworldtraveller - I wouldn't fancy going either.

It takes time to recover and sometimes infections set in.

Wait and see what they do.

Operation went well and sent home after a day.

Insurance set up for Post Operation so all was fine - 

However another condition set in and DR's not yet sure if it is the after affects of the Op - so cruise cancelled the day before they were due to sail!

Waiting for results from the hospital.

I'm hoping they manage to get a pay out from insurers - but it's all up in the air at the moment!

How stressful can life get!

The person has been back in hospital twice since my last post - very fragile, all tests possible completed and showing nothing up.

So - it's put down to Post Operative Condition which is Sever Anxiety/Depression.

I never knew this could happen but blimey it's bad folks!

Just think myself lucky I didn't get it after my own Gall Bladder operation which was much more invasive than keyhole.

I'm not sure about the insurance now and haven't mentioned it TBH - this person is really ill and the family have got more on their minds than money. sad.png

I have unfortunately been involved in something similar. A few weeks ago I was overseas when I was informed my wife had been rushed to hospital suffering from a stroke. Getting home was no easy task. However the story I relate is to show how understanding some companies are. We were due to fly from the UK this last week on a Thomson holiday but obviously could not go. I was put in touch with the Thomsons 'Exceptions Team', who cancelled the trip and re-booked it for next year not only at no extra cost but I received a refund as the holiday next year worked out slightly cheaper. Credit where credit is due and to me Thomson's did an excellent job. Well done Thomsons. 

DavidH likes this

I have unfortunately been involved in something similar. A few weeks ago I was overseas when I was informed my wife had been rushed to hospital suffering from a stroke. Getting home was no easy task. However the story I relate is to show how understanding some companies are. We were due to fly from the UK this last week on a Thomson holiday but obviously could not go. I was put in touch with the Thomsons 'Exceptions Team', who cancelled the trip and re-booked it for next year not only at no extra cost but I received a refund as the holiday next year worked out slightly cheaper. Credit where credit is due and to me Thomson's did an excellent job. Well done Thomsons. 

I'm really sorry to hear of this and can appreciate how  stressful this must have been for you. It sounds as if Thomsons came up Trumps with this for you. 

I hope my friends insurers do the same.

I hope your wife recovers from her Stroke.

Best wishes 

Oldworldtraveller likes this